When does VTEC kick in?

chris_04

Got Rice?
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Ok guys i have a question. I've asked a couple of people about when VTEC kicks in for the 04 Civics. Some answer i got were 5500 4400 and 5800. I think its 5800 but i'm not sure. What do you guys think?

Rick James

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
search n00b

Jezek

No Avatar FTW.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Originally posted by chris_04
Ok guys i have a question. I've asked a couple of people about when VTEC kicks in for the 04 Civics. Some answer i got were 5500 4400 and 5800. I think its 5800 but i'm not sure. What do you guys think?
When I clap my hands twice....like this ::clap-clap::...hear your VTEC? vroooooooooooooom...

FreakTimmah

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
why does it matter? the SOHC VTEC is just for fuel economy and the extra 20 horses or so they managed to squeeze out of that engine. you really can't even notice when it changes over, it just makes a lot of noise.

Zeo

CCSC #41
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i thought it was 5500 so ill stick by my guns

SlammedBlueEM2

Brunettes > Blondes
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It's nowhere above 4,300 RPMs... it is 4,300 RPMs. Dyno results have already proven this. Not to mention you can hear it get louder at that point.

The other #s are coming from previous generation Civics.

It doesn't really matter.

Rick James

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ive heard that on the 7th gens its like 2500 - 3000 but search casue i know its on here

SlammedBlueEM2

Brunettes > Blondes
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Originally posted by eminemslm0
ive heard that on the 7th gens its like 2500 - 3000 but search casue i know its on here
The EP3's VTEC is at 2,200 RPMs.

On an EX - from experience and the dyno results posted by another member on 7thGenCivic.com, it's 4,300 RPMs.

VTEC lights have reported #s that somewhat rival where the EP3's VTEC kicks in.

SlammedBlueEM2

Brunettes > Blondes
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Isn't 4300 a lil to low to kick in?
Even more so is 2,200 RPMs but the D17 is not a D16.

I would think 5,800 RPMs is a bit high for a D16 IMO... I don't see how VTEC would engage with only around 1,000 RPMs left in the powerband. I'm convinced it's the intake manifold doing that as the same thing occurs in the GS-R but I have no proof towards the D16.

Spend a lil' money and put your car on the dyno to see for yourself. See where the engine begins to make more power on a D17 and it's gonna show 4,300RPMs. Or just push the throttle cruising at 3,000 - 4,000 - and 5,000 RPMs in any gear below 4th gear. The car is gonna drag at 3k RPMs - a lil bit after 4k the engine will be louder and it will pull - and at 5,000 RPMs it's not gonna pull as hard... no torque.

RaYrAy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Originally posted by eminemslm0
search n00b
easy killer, he did search... but came up with nothing.... that's why he's asking.

it IS a legit question.

6sic6

Nt brn w/enuf midl fngrs
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
This is an ongoing argument... I've read anywhere from 4300-5800. But, if you go here... http://www.turbod16.com/
There's a thread about it and a guy actually has a dyno. But, on the dyno an argument can be made for the 4300 and the 5500 theory? So to answer you who knows, we need some hard facts sheets from honda.

Abz

This is jus the beginning
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The bet way to find out is the simple way...get your ass down to get a dyno...What eva that is...;0)

RaYrAy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
unless you know what to look for, you can't really hear it that well on a single cam...