When is the right time to drink protein shake?

Slickcivic

No Low is Too Low
5+ Year Member
I got a question for you guys.

I workout twice a week. I recently bought the GNC AMP Wheybolic protein shake. When is the right time to drink it? Immediately after workout? Can I drink it immediately after workout then eat lunch? I workout in the morning btw.

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
A protein shake immediately (within one hour) after your workout is complete is optimal. It is when your body is most in need of it in order to repair efficiently. Aside from that, gradual protein intake throughout the day will keep your body supplied for continued repair. Don't overdo it though, protein in excess can lead to kidney problems. You should intake about 1g per kilogram of lean body weight per day (lean body weight being your weight if you had 0% body fat.)

toneekay

Rubbin on yo booty
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I intake about 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight... I weight 205lbs... I intake roughly 205 grams... But this was all long ago when I was a health freak and work out a holic...

The best time to drink a protein shake is 5-15 minutes after workout (or whenever your muscles feel tingly), if it's any later than that, then you miss you chance (not really, I just like to think this way to be strict on myself).

hooked_on4

RegularFlush
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
my friend drinks em before he works out, is that bad?

r_becca92

5+ Year Member
my brother drinks them during and after workouts. and hes gettin a lot bigger, so maybe try that out

CRXsiterror

I EAT EVO's
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
my friend drinks em before he works out, is that bad?
Yes, you want your body to be digesting your intake while your working out, I'm a seasoned lifter and I take 90 grams shakes 30min after workout, and 1 hour before bed. Also eating once every 4 hours stimulates the metab. Not huge meals, like snacks of good white meat or egg's. Its also not horrible to sip them while working out, but there is more effective methods.

hooked_on4

RegularFlush
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
^^ you just contradicted yourself.

You agreed it's bad then said you want to digest while working out, so which is it?

Bheims

Bustin windows outcha car
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
those shakes make my farts smell like teriyaki beef jerky

CRXsiterror

I EAT EVO's
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
^^ you just contradicted yourself.

You agreed it's bad then said you want to digest while working out, so which is it?
Like I said its bad to take RIGHT before a work out(I.E the whole 200+ grams pending on weight), but if you SIP it while working out it will have the same effect as adder or sup. like sizeon or super pump 250.

Bodybuildingforums.com

Slickcivic

No Low is Too Low
5+ Year Member
Yes, you want your body to be digesting your intake while your working out, I'm a seasoned lifter and I take 90 grams shakes 30min after workout, and 1 hour before bed. Also eating once every 4 hours stimulates the metab. Not huge meals, like snacks of good white meat or egg's. Its also not horrible to sip them while working out, but there is more effective methods.
Protein shakes are liquid, so that means it digests faster (Am I right?). Whole foods such as meat etc. takes longer to digest because they are solid foods. I usually go the gym at 9am to 11am so right after my workout is lunchtime. Can I have them as a lunch replacement? Or should I still eat something for lunch even though I already drank whey protein post workout?

toneekay

Rubbin on yo booty
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
You can drink em at least 45-1h before a workout and then right after... I use to do that as well...

CRXsiterror

I EAT EVO's
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Protein shakes are liquid, so that means it digests faster (Am I right?). Whole foods such as meat etc. takes longer to digest because they are solid foods. I usually go the gym at 9am to 11am so right after my workout is lunchtime. Can I have them as a lunch replacement? Or should I still eat something for lunch even though I already drank whey protein post workout?

You can substitute meals with shakes sure, but try not to take more grams than you weigh the body will just toss it out, it comes down to calorie intake per calorie burn.

Here is a calculator to help you maximize your intake.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/hst5.htm

It will help you count the calories (the good ones) you need to intake to put the muscle pounds on ;]

Brian13

5+ Year Member
I have the same stuff (strawberry), and It states on the back of the container to take within 30 mins after your workout. Just gotta read it. It also states to take 3 scopes, but that's really a waste since your body can only break down and use so much protien. I've cut mine to 2 scopes, but they overflow alittle, so more like 2 1/4 scopes.

Matt.

Banned
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
your suppose to follow the directions on the container... every supplement is different.

Also, you should be working out 3 to 4 times a week, so monday, tuesday, skip wednesday, then thursday, friday and skip the weekend

arms and chest, back, shoulders and triceps, and legs

legs are really needed if you want to loose weight. they get the juices flowin, so to speak. Not sure what its called but they aid in loosing weight when you work your legs.

Bheims

Bustin windows outcha car
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
your suppose to follow the directions on the container... every supplement is different.

Also, you should be working out 3 to 4 times a week, so monday, tuesday, skip wednesday, then thursday, friday and skip the weekend

arms and chest, back, shoulders and triceps, and legs

legs are really needed if you want to loose weight. they get the juices flowin, so to speak. Not sure what its called but they aid in loosing weight when you work your legs.
x2

entire body workouts are best for losing weight. You will burn more calories by adding muscle everywhere vs concentrating on specific muscle groups. If you have an iphone/ipod touch, check out "iFitness", its an app you have to pay for but it contains over 300 exercises and preloaded workouts. I think its $0.99

toneekay

Rubbin on yo booty
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
You can substitute meals with shakes sure,
True, you can substitute them for meals, but it's NOT recommended; it's in small print on the container of your protein shake mix.

My advice to you is to eat a regular healthy lunch (small-medium portion), and still drink your protein shake after. It's better to have solid nutrients to break down and spreaded throughout the body than just a protein shake for every meal.

Here's me in my... Sophomore year of HS when I started getting serious about working out... This was like result of like 4ish months of taking supps.

Big_Mull_Style

none shall pass
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Some dude at the jim drinks muscle milk while running on the treadmill, I think I'd puke

CRXsiterror

I EAT EVO's
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Me and Tonee have very alike thoughts on this, Looks like you were nice back then tonee?

I'm cutting right now. It seems your a bit shorter then me, seeing as im 6'3 I got a little bit to go before I can bulk on mega mass. Pluse I don't want the puff look.

toneekay

Rubbin on yo booty
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Yea, me and my cousins were big work out freaks back in the day... I'm only 5'11, but all the muscle that bulked me up made me look like I had a shorter torso causing me to look... SHORT -__-

Anyways, I'm fat and fugly now so that all doesn't matter anymore haha!