When is the right time to drink protein shake?

CRXsiterror

I EAT EVO's
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Yea, me and my cousins were big work out freaks back in the day... I'm only 5'11, but all the muscle that bulked me up made me look like I had a shorter torso causing me to look... SHORT -__-

Anyways, I'm fat and fugly now so that all doesn't matter anymore haha!
haha well at least spread the good advice, and get back to the gym hoe!

Bheims

Bustin windows outcha car
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Yea, me and my cousins were big work out freaks back in the day... I'm only 5'11, but all the muscle that bulked me up made me look like I had a shorter torso causing me to look... SHORT -__-

Anyways, I'm fat and fugly now so that all doesn't matter anymore haha!
^haha sig worthy

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I see some misinformation being spread in here...

First of all, Do not have one gram of protein per lb of body weight. You will be ingesting too much protein than your body can use and the excess will be handled by the kidneys and excreted through the urine. Not only is this a waste of money and will make you have to pee more, it also makes the kidneys work harder than necessary and can lead to health problems down the road.

Another important thing to consider is that protein does have a dehydrating effect on the body. Drinking a protein shake right before a workout or during a workout will suck needed water from your body. If you know anything about working out, you'll know that hydration is necessary for maximum muscle efficiency. Maximum muscle efficiency is needed for maximum muscle performance, which is needed for maximum muscle gain and other strength enhancement.

Somebody said that maximum weight loss is best achieved by working out the whole body. Yes, this is true, but it should be explained a little more in depth.

A. You do not need to work every muscle during the same day. Due to fatigue and rest, it is more effective to split up your workouts. Even so, working out all muscle groups should never be an issue.. whether you're weight training for weight loss or not. ALWAYS WORK YOUR ENTIRE BODY.

So many people think they look good when they just work out their biceps, or just work out their upper body. Obviously this is in the eye of the beholder (but I think toothpick legs look retarded.) Either way, it's unhealthy. Working out only your upper body does not allow for muscular support in the joints of the lower body (knees, ankles, hips) which leads to increased strain on these joints.. and will eventually lead to joint problems. How about those guys you see who look like they're constantly carrying around beach balls because "Their arms are so big." This has nothing to do with their arms being so big, it's usually an imbalance of musculature between the biceps and triceps and leads to a reduced range of motion in the arms.

Always keep this in mind - there are many ways to get big and strong. People can get large by using unhealthy methods (steroids anyone?) People can also get big even though they are using inefficient methods, it'll just take them longer. It'll be more difficult and require more work.

Slickcivic

No Low is Too Low
5+ Year Member
I guess I'll just consult my doctor or someone. I heard that if you drink too much whey protein, not all will be digested and will turn into fat. I wanna be slimmer and have a well-defined body (as of now I'm 5"8 in height and 170 lbs. in weigh = Overweight). I guess I should workout more like 3 times a week, cause I only workout twice per week. Thanks for your comments guys!

ej_EXtasy

Big Dave
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Any weigh protien shake shouldn't be used to lose weight. The only kind of shake I would drink while working out is something like creatine, noXplode, nano vapor. But for protein drinks you mix with milk I drink them after I work out. I haven't taken any lately though. I would drink nanovapor before my workout because it lets your lift for longer. When I ran out of nanovapor I would drink Muscle Milk after my workout. Nanovapor is around 100 calories. Muscle milk is 300 calories. Big difference. If you are drinking something along the lines of muscle milk or whey then you should be drinking a lot of water throughout the day.

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I wanna be slimmer and have a well-defined body
Well take solace in the fact that muscle definition comes from only two things..

A. gentics

and

B. low body fat percentages.

As you slim down, your muscle definition will increase.

d r i v e n

foul dog scut!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Me and Tonee have very alike thoughts on this, Looks like you were nice back then tonee?

I'm cutting right now. It seems your a bit shorter then me, seeing as im 6'3 I got a little bit to go before I can bulk on mega mass. Pluse I don't want the puff look.
It's tough for us taller long limbed guys to fill out isn't it haha. I have never fixed my own protein shake or anything. Only 'shakes' I've ever drank have been Muscle Milk and that Naked juice (30g protein) drinks. I've been incorporating Crossfit into my routine and work out 5 days a week on average. Plus I'm doing alot of running now too and have been improving my IST for the USMC. I've never been big nutrition freak. I just eat right and healthy currently, I'm not lazy (I sweat fuel trucks during my routines) and it seems to work haha. I was 6'1" @ 158lbs out of HS in 2003. Now I am 6'1" @ 182lbs with a 7-9 BF. I was a string bean. At least now I have some mass to me.

Also tons and tons of people don't even bother with stretching or realize how important it is to stretch before and after a workout. I've gotten so much more flexible from it and my form and motion on certain sets have improved greatly as well.

OH AND HEY WHAT ARE YOU TONEEKAY? A MALE BUTTERFACE?:lol:

toneekay

Rubbin on yo booty
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I use to be doped up with all sorts of supplements... I never had a problem being on any of it nor the methods I used them in... I think I used just about 4 different types of supps to plump up.

I don't even want to talk about how much of a freak I turned into after using supps for about 3-4 years... I used supps to do one thing, and another to counter-effect another, and another to do this, do that, blah blah...

I had horrible side-effects as well, such as pimples and crap all over my back and what not... That's why I stopped working out... just so I can be normal again =(

d r i v e n

foul dog scut!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I don't even want to talk about how much of a freak I turned into after using supps for about 3-4 years... I used supps to do one thing, and another to counter-effect another, and another to do this, do that, blah blah...

I had horrible side-effects as well, such as pimples and crap all over my back and what not... That's why I stopped working out... just so I can be normal again =(
Sorry to hear about that whole ordeal. I'm so glad I didn't take anything or had to worry about any of that.

1991civicZC

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
whey protein is nasty lol just puts on the pounds to burn off.
nitro-tec is good i used when i worked out 5 days a week 2 hours a day and drank some in morning and right after working out my max went from 195 to 225 in a shorter amound of time in my opinion i would use it again if i still worked out like that

1991civicZC

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Well take solace in the fact that muscle definition comes from only two things..

A. gentics

and

B. low body fat percentages.

As you slim down, your muscle definition will increase.
dont' forget unless you keep working a muscle you will loose your mass to your muscle and is hard to get back believe me...

toneekay

Rubbin on yo booty
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Isopure zero-carb protein
L-Glutamine
Creatine 3000
Amino 1000
Ripped Fuel: Fat burner

^Those were all the supps that I use to take...

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
dont' forget unless you keep working a muscle you will loose your mass to your muscle and is hard to get back believe me...
How is that at all related to my post that you quoted? Obviously you'll lose mass if you stop working the muscle. I never said anything counter to that. However, I do dispute your claim that it is hard to get back. I find that it's much easier to regain muscle when you've had it once before than it is to gain muscle the first time around.

and to D r i v e n - Crossfit is good s**t. I've done some research on them and took a trial class with them once. They know what they're doing. If I had the money, I'd probably be doing a crossfit program.

and to whoever said whey protein just puts on weight for you to burn of when you lift... you need to do some more research. Protein is necessary to build muscle tissue. Whey is just another type of protein (derived from milk along with casein) that can be ingested and processed to repair muscles.

d r i v e n

foul dog scut!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
and to D r i v e n - Crossfit is good s**t. I've done some research on them and took a trial class with them once. They know what they're doing. If I had the money, I'd probably be doing a crossfit program.
I just love how much it actually makes you work, which in turns keeps you motivated to do it right every rep, every time. I recently started doing many of my sets with the weighted vest. Especially box jumps and burpees. That s**t will tear you up.

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I just love how much it actually makes you work, which in turns keeps you motivated to do it right every rep, every time. I recently started doing many of my sets with the weighted vest. Especially box jumps and burpees. That s**t will tear you up.
No doubt. The main reason i'd do it is because I feel I perform at my best when I'm pushed, but not all personal trainers are qualified / educated on the functional workouts that I prefer. Crossfit thrives in the functional fitness world and have no problems pushing you to your best.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I'd like to get on supplements to aid in gaining body mass, losing body fat, and gaining definition. But one thing I heard about using supplements like creatine is once you stop, your weight drops to below your original weight before you started. I dunno if it's true. My friend works out a lot and he's really athletic and physically fit and he's the one that told me about it.

Maybe for new years I'll make it a resolution... I'm about 5'6" and 140 pounds so I'm proportionate. I'm skinny so I'm already defined, I just need more muscle mass to make it show more. I'd like to have a good body.

toneekay

Rubbin on yo booty
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I'd like to get on supplements to aid in gaining body mass, losing body fat, and gaining definition. But one thing I heard about using supplements like creatine is once you stop, your weight drops to below your original weight before you started. I dunno if it's true. My friend works out a lot and he's really athletic and physically fit and he's the one that told me about it.
Some people say this is true, butttttt I'd have to say otherwise. I've used creatine before and I've heard all the stories and what not... Well, it's been a few years since I've worked out; I'ved used creatine when I did work out... The muscle is still there somewhat, not like before, but it's still there. You'll notice some fat tissue as well around the muscles but not a whole lot...

Here's how it worked for me:

- Worked out for about 4 years straight, used supps. (creatine being one major one)
- Stopped working out for the past 2 years or so.
- Right now, when I flex, the muscle is still tight (duh, that's what she said), but it's not noticeable... My arms are still big, my chest has gotten more flabbier (i have tits now), legs are relatively the same as back in the day (i don't know why, i don't even run/jog/walk)...

AutoFanatik

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
I just drank a protein shake....you guys know ur supposed to have 30 grams of protein with breakfast right? especially if youre lifting. because over night, you body starts using protein for the energy source while you sleep, so when you start your day with protein (doesnt have to be a shake, but i have issues eating a lot of meat for breakfast...doesnt feel like breakfast to me lol) that stops your body from feeding on the protein stores that are supposed to be going to your muscles. im taking classes on this stuff right now, thats what i learned last night

toneekay

Rubbin on yo booty
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
That's why breakfast burritos are sooooooo good to eat in the mornings!

toneekay

Rubbin on yo booty
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
To be more specific:

- Sausage
- Bacon
- Eggs
- Potatoes
- A little bit of cheese (not too much, but just enough to get all the ingredients stuck together)
- Wrapped in a tortilla!