Where do you think the tuner scene is going?

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
And what do you mean dude, 15 year old GSR engines are still going for $3k on craigslist, these cars may not be worth much whole but there are always people looking for parts. Not to mention the fact that most of us don't care, I've spent a couple grand between my car and my build already and I could care less if I get that back, this car has taught me enough for it to be worth it lol
5th and 6th gen civics where what, $15-$18k brand new? They are sitting anywhere from $3-8k depending on where you are. Some even less. That is quite a bit of depreciation compared to what muscle cars of 30 years or so go for.

There is something to be said about a vehicle that you can get a LOT more for by parting out than you can get out of it whole when it is in great condition. Most of the time you can get more out of a 5th gen by parting it than you can for the whole car. This is going off of actual value, NOT by people dreaming what they can get for their car. Let's face it, there are a LOT of people trying to get way more than what these are worth.

I just don't see these gaining value at all any time in the future. Nothing like muscle cars or the vintage vehicles.

Hell, I remember the time when you could NOT find an EBP EM1 SI for less than $15k. You can get them all day long right now for, what $8k?

Yes, a lot of us don't care how much we put into our cars, that doesn't mean that we will EVER get it back, unless we hook a sucker. Restoring these doesn't even gain that much value if any. When you restore a classic or vintage vehicle of 30 years or so, you can actually add a great amount of value.

Like I said, muscle cars can actually be an investment. Even if a lot of us don't see the value in that, there are MANY people that do. I just don't see 4 gens on up gaining any investment value.

Decipher

Registered VIP
5th and 6th gen civics where what, $15-$18k brand new? They are sitting anywhere from $3-8k depending on where you are. Some even less. That is quite a bit of depreciation compared to what muscle cars of 30 years or so go for.

There is something to be said about a vehicle that you can get a LOT more for by parting out than you can get out of it whole when it is in great condition. Most of the time you can get more out of a 5th gen by parting it than you can for the whole car. This is going off of actual value, NOT by people dreaming what they can get for their car. Let's face it, there are a LOT of people trying to get way more than what these are worth.

I just don't see these gaining value at all any time in the future. Nothing like muscle cars or the vintage vehicles.

Hell, I remember the time when you could NOT find an EBP EM1 SI for less than $15k. You can get them all day long right now for, what $8k?

Yes, a lot of us don't care how much we put into our cars, that doesn't mean that we will EVER get it back, unless we hook a sucker. Restoring these doesn't even gain that much value if any. When you restore a classic or vintage vehicle of 30 years or so, you can actually add a great amount of value.

Like I said, they can actually be an investment. Even if a lot of us don't see the value in that, there are MANY people that do.

Let me just clarify that we are now talking about 2 different scenes. The muscle cars and vintage vehicles that are worth 30k+ aren't in the same game as the OP's original question focused on. I'm not modifying my car as an investment... I'm doing it because it(a cheap japanese compact import) is way cheaper to work on as opposed to going out and buying ANY car that comes from the factory the way I want it. That's what the tuner scene I'm thinking of is.

On the same token, if I went and got a civic that WAS as old as the american muscles you're talking about, like a 1st generation, and brought it to mint condition or made it a show car... it would be worth equal or more than some 69 camaro. Most guys on here, and most in the tuner scene aren't aiming for that... it's two completely different scenes.

And most guys that go pick up old muscles don't get back what they put into them either. That s**t is expensive! I could buy big-block carbureted monsters all day out here where I live, that people have spent a lot of money and time on, for cheap... it takes a lot of money to make any car valuable... depreciation is the name of the game with automobiles.

treeafodo

Austin
Registered VIP
I didn't mean to bring it off topic. I just meant to say that if people care enough about something they tend to last. And who cares about value? I say if you like your car a certain way build it for your enjoyment and screw the money that comes later from it. I'm not trying to start an argument. I'm just saying my mind.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
On the same token, if I went and got a civic that WAS as old as the american muscles you're talking about, like a 1st generation, and brought it to mint condition or made it a show car... it would be worth equal or more than some 69 camaro. Most guys on here, and most in the tuner scene aren't aiming for that... it's two completely different scenes.
A first gen civic is high valued at $2700. A '69 camaro is high valued at $28k. I don't care how much you polish or pimp that first gen you won't ever get it up to $28k unless you are playing a sucker's market.

Yes, I did get off topic from the op's tuner question. I'm sorry. I will bow out.

obracer12

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Muscle cars gain value when they are sitting, though. Civics don't. They can be an actual investment over time where Civics lose value and you don't get any of the money back that you put into it.
muscle cars only appreciated in value due to there being a desire for them. The same will happen to civics if there is a strong enough following. Things only gain and lose value based on the consumer desire for the item and the rarity of the item... seeing that civics were pumped out in high volume this may take longer than 30 years but you get my point.

Think the tuner scene will ever die, who knows in 30 years we will be modding our electric cars with amplifier kits instead of forced induction and doing power to weight ratios based on battery packs.. it will just evolve.

I do agree with ^ about the computerized systems in cars.. they need to keep them more mechanical for ease of ownership with both cost and maintenance.

barrett

Registered VIP
sad to say but i'm afraid i see people in the tuner scene moving away from hondas. with the 9th gen si it comes with the exhaust manifold cast onto the head, and designed in such a way that you can't swap an older better head on. its like honda is subtly tell us not to mess with their designs. i still prefer 06-11 and pre 95. can't beat the looks of them. the scene isn't going anywhere tho.

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
im personally sick of the scene, i just dont like the crowd anymore. dorky looking kids wearing tobagans in the summer, wearing mesh backs cocked to the side,wearing jeans that look like they belong to their sister. then when u talk to them they act too cool to acknowledge you, and that pisses me off cause i was doing this s**t when they was wearing pampers. guess iv realized its time to give up and move on. s**t just gets old after a while, and i think alot of the older people in the game is doing the same.

Eran

It's on ass-backwards.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The irony of THIS discussion happening on THIS forum is delicious.

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I dont't know about everybody else, but I personally will never buy a new vehicle. They are becoming way too computerized with systems that depend on non-mechanical components that require highly sensitive tools and electronics just to make simple modifications. I'd like to retain the ability to work on my car. So, to me the scene won't be changing much since I'll be sticking with this generation (6th) or earlier for my future vehicles.
want simple? old school domestic.. I just ripped all the computers and sensors out of my 91 Mustang so that I could put in a carb.. can't wait to really feel that shitty gas mileage!

sixwhip14

5+ Year Member
I have some Morgan in me so the old man is going to chime in. I'm 43. My first car was a 71 Nova two door. Totalled it. A few years later got a '70 Cutlass with a W-30 hood. I was dumb and let some guy talk me out of it. Of course now muscle cars are the rave. Mostly cause guys my age and older want the cars back that we had as kids. Hell, I collect vinyl albums from the 80s too, best music ever. We are older and have a bit of money to spend. I do agree that muscle cars are expensive to build and maintain. I have kids and am far from rich. In 08 I had a bit of a windfall and wanted to buy a fun car. I was tempted to buy an early 80s Cutty but also remember that I was always having something wrong with my 81. So I asked the kids at work what they thought. They knew I liked Hondas cause I have a 97 v6 with the wings west kit, lowered with meshies. A couple guys were like "Get a 99-00 civic si. They're cool. Lots of aftermarket." So I did. Engine had to be replaced, went b18c. I see that most kids want the hatches cause they are light but I kinda see the 5th/6th gen coupes gaining popularity as time passes. I now have an 06 TSX as the family car, but the EM1 gets mad love. Where is the tuner scene going? From what I see from the import kids at work, it's turbo cars. Honda needs to open it's eyes.

scarhead92

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
as long as there are cars with a bigger mechanical to computer ratio. there will always be someone to turn a wrench. although it isnt looking good as we can now start a car by jumping wires in a fuse block in newer cars. i have a 6 gen and while im not into engine swaps yet i myself and my children will know more than i simply for the fact that i was not taught it from the get go. i think that a want for bettering our children will keep the scene around since we love modifying and we want to share with them. so i think we could even say as long as there are kids there will be scenes

Blood_Shot

Banned
Registered VIP
sad to say but i'm afraid i see people in the tuner scene moving away from hondas. with the 9th gen si it comes with the exhaust manifold cast onto the head, and designed in such a way that you can't swap an older better head on. its like honda is subtly tell us not to mess with their designs. i still prefer 06-11 and pre 95. can't beat the looks of them. the scene isn't going anywhere tho.
This is more along the lines of where I was coming from. The cars themselves are becoming less tuner friendly, and the subcompacts and sport compacts that are performance based are expensive

22k for the new si with a k24

15k for a base model with the r18

It isnt as simple as dropping a z6 into a dx or a GSR into an LS or RS anymore

To me, as far as new vehicles are concerned, the tuning aspect and swapping this and that is going to be gone soon. Not the scene as a whole.

toneekay

Rubbin on yo booty
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I'm already ahead of you guys... I have a flying unicorn!

Chris.

Stickin' it to the man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I have some Morgan in me so the old man is going to chime in. I'm 43. My first car was a 71 Nova two door. Totalled it. A few years later got a '70 Cutlass with a W-30 hood. I was dumb and let some guy talk me out of it. Of course now muscle cars are the rave. Mostly cause guys my age and older want the cars back that we had as kids. Hell, I collect vinyl albums from the 80s too, best music ever. We are older and have a bit of money to spend. I do agree that muscle cars are expensive to build and maintain. I have kids and am far from rich. In 08 I had a bit of a windfall and wanted to buy a fun car. I was tempted to buy an early 80s Cutty but also remember that I was always having something wrong with my 81. So I asked the kids at work what they thought. They knew I liked Hondas cause I have a 97 v6 with the wings west kit, lowered with meshies. A couple guys were like "Get a 99-00 civic si. They're cool. Lots of aftermarket." So I did. Engine had to be replaced, went b18c. I see that most kids want the hatches cause they are light but I kinda see the 5th/6th gen coupes gaining popularity as time passes. I now have an 06 TSX as the family car, but the EM1 gets mad love. Where is the tuner scene going? From what I see from the import kids at work, it's turbo cars. Honda needs to open it's eyes.
It's only a matter of time till the RDX platform reaches the si....Honda will see that is what people want...and you watch....it'll end up being some 250hp civic with 40 mpg

Mr. Lin

Admiral Ackbar
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
the older and more mature folk will move on to bigger and better things and new kids will replace them and continue to tinker and toy around with the cheap older cars. soon, it'll be all about 8gens and the like from their competitors and the trend will continue...

Blood_Shot

Banned
Registered VIP
It's only a matter of time till the RDX platform reaches the si....Honda will see that is what people want...and you watch....it'll end up being some 250hp civic with 40 mpg
doubt it, everyone else has a forced induction but honda just wont dip into pool

they will make a n/a 250hp civic before a boosted 250hp civic

do they even make the rdx anymore?

hyundai is the one who finally does something right with the genesis

if the s2000 came turbo is would be a 38k dollar car

every car maker should have a rwd turbo 4cyl platform

crash!

Avi, pull your socks up.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I think it's a huge trend in this generation. Before it didn't seem like too many people cared about what they drove but now (atleast in my area) EVERYONE wants a Civic or an Integra or something of the sort. Even kids who don't know anything about cars are "claiming" they're getting into it.They'll just throw a eBay turbo kit on their little single cam Civic and not know a terrible lot on how to do it right. I don't think it will ever go away, but I think it's gotten really popular lately, at least that's what I see.