where is my antifreeze going? help!!!

juarezman

hello everyone, I have a 99 honda civic, and my antifreeze keeps disappearing from my radiator, i will fill it up and the little tank with antifreeze and after driving it for a while, my radiator will be totally empty and it starts to overheat on me, it doesn't have a leak because i don't see any leak or dripping, i replaced the radiator, and the same thing is still happening, i checked all the hose's and there in good condition, does anyone have an idea what it might be? any comments will help , thanks.

Stickyittoyou

5+ Year Member
hello everyone, I have a 99 honda civic, and my antifreeze keeps disappearing from my radiator, i will fill it up and the little tank with antifreeze and after driving it for a while, my radiator will be totally empty and it starts to overheat on me, it doesn't have a leak because i don't see any leak or dripping, i replaced the radiator, and the same thing is still happening, i checked all the hose's and there in good condition, does anyone have an idea what it might be? any comments will help , thanks.
It's probably leaking into your oil; or burning up

tunerGONEbomber

check your hose clamps. i have had a new cars that have had terrible oem clamps. depending on where it is it could just evap once its gets out from there. i couldnt tell yeah if its being leaked into your oil but if your exhaust is smoking i say you have a bit to look at in the engine.

spoon egg

Teeth Doctor
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
It's going into Narnia...just messin. Like waht everyone else said, check to see if your car is smoking, then check your clamps and hoses.

reichbc

"Brandon"
Also, don't fill up that plastic antifreeze container. That is for overflow antifreeze. The engine will not pull antifreeze from there.

charlie brown

smokey
Registered VIP
Also, don't fill up that plastic antifreeze container. That is for overflow antifreeze. The engine will not pull antifreeze from there.
incorrect, it does so upon engine cool down if your coolant sysytem had air that worked its way out. thats at least one way i know it happens.

juarezman

no its not smoking it runs great, i have no problems with it , it just disappears, i see steam coming fron the radiator when im driving, its probably burning it all up, but why would it do that?

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
The smoke may not be terribly obvious. Start your car and get behind the tail pipe. Also when you take off the rad cap, check to see if there is ANY oil in there.

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i have a similar problem to this, but gave up lol

evilrilla2

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
missing coolant means you have a leak. this could be internal or external.

if you dont see the leak, this mean its internal. could be a gasket or the radiator cap.

first thing first, get a new radiator cap, this could be the issue.

the most costly one is the head gasket, thats why people are asking if there is smoke coming out of the tail pipe. My issue was the head gasket, but i NEVER experience white smoke from the tail pipe...weird.

TIP: do not use gasket LEAK fix. more headache and it doesnt work for most people. find the real issue and fix it. do it now before you mess up your car more by overheating. good luck.

juarezman

ok i checked the tail pipe and no smoke is coming out, tomorrow im gonna go buy a new radiator cap, i hope thats the problem.

amaestre32

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
missing coolant means you have a leak. this could be internal or external.

if you dont see the leak, this mean its internal. could be a gasket or the radiator cap.

first thing first, get a new radiator cap, this could be the issue.

the most costly one is the head gasket, thats why people are asking if there is smoke coming out of the tail pipe. My issue was the head gasket, but i NEVER experience white smoke from the tail pipe...weird.

TIP: do not use gasket LEAK fix. more headache and it doesnt work for most people. find the real issue and fix it. do it now before you mess up your car more by overheating. good luck.
Good advice.