Where is my cat??

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Did your cat get stuck in a tree?

A cx has the catalytic converter under the hood on the exhaust manifold, the 3 bolt flange is for the cat to bolt up to under the car (ex/si)

Ethan LaBrant

Respected
Did your cat get stuck in a tree?

A cx has the catalytic converter under the hood on the exhaust manifold, the 3 bolt flange is for the cat to bolt up to under the car (ex/si)
I guess i should be asking, what do i need to hook this exhaust up? It has the 3 bolt flange on the end but under the car the end has a 2 bolt flange, i sound dumb but im new to the car scene

Attachments

jacobschmidt65

I guess i should be asking, what do i need to hook this exhaust up? It has the 3 bolt flange on the end but under the car the end has a 2 bolt flange, i sound dumb but im new to the car scene
You have to buy a test pipe for in between the exhaust manifold and exhaust system

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

You have to buy a test pipe for in between the exhaust manifold and exhaust system

It probably be better to buy a set of headers too. Because the stock exhaust flange donut be to small probably have an exhaust leak.

Last edited by a moderator:

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You need an ex style header and a catalytic converter or test pipe to utilize that exhaust piping you have.

blandsarcasm

Respected
Registered VIP

This is incorrect. If you don't know what you're talking about don't respond with false information. Like child said, the only way to make this work is to buy an exhaust manifold and cat/test pipe for an ex/si model. That's because the cx/dx have the cat integrated into the exhaust manifold instead of underneath the car like the ex/si. Basically you purchased the exhaust for the wrong model

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Isnt the test pipe to practically delete the cat? Or is there one to go in between the exhaust manifold and exhaust system?
Yes the purpose of a test pipe is to delete the cat. There is no test pipe that will mate that exhaust with your manifold. Open your hood and look at it. The manifold comes out of the head and immediately merges into the cat that's sitting right there in front of the motor. There's a downpipe that goes from the cat to the stock midpipe connecting the two with a two bolt flange. Ex/si has a manifold that comes out of the head and curved down all the way under the oil pan and mates to the cat that runs parallel to the ground under the car. That style cat connects to the midpipe with a 3 bolt flange. You would need to replace your cx manifold/cat/downpipe with an ex/si style manifold/cat or take your car and the new exhaust to an exhaust shop and have them modify the two to mate together. Or buy an exhaust that properly fits your model

jacobschmidt65

This is incorrect. If you don't know what you're talking about don't respond with false information. Like child said, the only way to make this work is to buy an exhaust manifold and cat/test pipe for an ex/si model. That's because the cx/dx have the cat integrated into the exhaust manifold instead of underneath the car like the ex/si. Basically you purchased the exhaust for the wrong model

Umm yes I do know what I'm talking about because I do have an DX. Auto to manual conversion, OBD2B to OBD1 conversion distributor ect. I been building Hondas before I was out of school. The exhaust systems from 92-00 all bolt up the same. Just the dumb cat on the exhaust manifold on the CX/DX. So yeah by the way thanks for making me look like I don't know what I'm talking about. I'm a owner/operator of my own mechanic shop, which I do specialize in Hondas. Have a good day Alohas

Like I said it's a test pipe sorry I didn't say cat/test pipe.

blandsarcasm

Respected
Registered VIP
Umm yes I do know what I'm talking about because I do have an DX. Auto to manual conversion, OBD2B to OBD1 conversion distributor ect. I been building Hondas before I was out of school. The exhaust systems from 92-00 all bolt up the same. Just the dumb cat on the exhaust manifold on the CX/DX. So yeah by the way thanks for making me look like I don't know what I'm talking about. I'm a owner/operator of my own mechanic shop, which I do specialize in Hondas. Have a good day Alohas

So if you knew what you were talking about then you wouldn't have given him such an incomplete and incorrect piece of information. Yes they all bolt up if you have right combination of parts, but simply adding a test pipe to the cx/dx manifold does not allow that midpipe to work. Like I said the ONLY way to make that midpipe work without cutting and welding is to buy an ex/si manifold and cat/test pipe. By the way I didn't make you look like you didn't know what you're talking about. You did

Like I said it's a test pipe sorry I didn't say cat/test pipe.

What are you even trying to say here? There is no test pipe that solves this guys problem.

jacobschmidt65

So if you knew what you were talking about then you wouldn't have given him such an incomplete and incorrect piece of information. Yes they all bolt up if you have right combination of parts, but simply adding a test pipe to the cx/dx manifold does not allow that midpipe to work. Like I said the ONLY way to make that midpipe work without cutting and welding is to buy an ex/si manifold and cat/test pipe. By the way I didn't make you look like you didn't know what you're talking about. You did

Haha well the way I told him was the way I do it for a lot of people because they don't wanna spend they want me to pull something out of my hat. I've done it to several cars before, but prefer to put the right parts in place. Sorry for the incomplete information I'll do my best to describe all in detail next time.

What are you even trying to say here? There is no test pipe that solves this guys problem.

Test pipe is a test pipe they only make it for the EX/SI. When typed in that's what comes up. That's all I was trying to sy.

blandsarcasm

Respected
Registered VIP
Haha well the way I told him was the way I do it for a lot of people because they don't wanna spend they want me to pull something out of my hat. I've done it to several cars before, but prefer to put the right parts in place. Sorry for the incomplete information I'll do my best to describe all in detail next time.

Ok so let me get this straight. Are you trying to say that you fabricated a test pipe to bridge the gap between the factory cx/dx header and the ex/si style midpipe? Or just extended the factory header and added a three bolt flange? Either method would work but requires cutting and welding instead of just bolting up parts. In which case his simplest solution would be for him to take his car to an exhaust shop and say here fix this

jacobschmidt65

Ok so let me get this straight. Are you trying to say that you fabricated a test pipe to bridge the gap between the factory cx/dx header and the ex/si style midpipe? Or just extended the factory header and added a three bolt flange? Either method would work but requires cutting and welding instead of just bolting up parts. In which case his simplest solution would be for him to take his car to an exhaust shop and say here fix this

Yes I have several times but prefer to just bolt up parts. That's why when a customer asked I tell them no. That's why I suggested him to buy headers, or like you and Child said a EX/SI stock manifold. And I never suggest going to the exhaust shop cause they are a rip off haha.

blandsarcasm

Respected
Registered VIP
Yes I have several times but prefer to just bolt up parts. That's why when a customer asked I tell them no. That's why I suggested him to buy headers, or like you and Child said a EX/SI stock manifold. And I never suggest going to the exhaust shop cause they are a rip off haha.

Yes exhaust shops are a ripoff. Child and myself never suggested to buy a stock manifold, but and ex/si style header and cat/test pipe. Yes he could use a stock manifold but i wouldn't unless he got one for cheap or free haha. The only thing you said at first was to buy a test pipe, which wouldn't solve his problem at all. Then you said to buy a "set of headers". There is no set only one header. I would also steer clear of any eBay no name header as the quality is absolute s**t. They don't even fit right, hang too low and will pull the rest of the exhaust about an inch too far forward. The dc sports header is probably his best bet. There's also another detail that should also be clarified. Was this exhaust a full cat back or just the midpipe that was pictured? Also when purchased did it specify whether it was for an ex/si or 92-95 eg hatch? Both use a three bolt flange but the midpipe lengths are slightly different as well as the axle back lengths.

And judging by the fact that there are two hangers before the resonator that would lead me to assume this exhaust was intended for a 92-95 eg

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Does your motor have the catalytic converter like this, bolted right up to the exhaust manifold?

If it does, you'll need a different exhaust.
I'm going to guess you have a 96-00 Civic Dx/Lx/Hx or Cx and the new exhaust you have is for a 96-00 Civic Ex or 99-00 Si.

pmac193

Thundermuff
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
if OP bought a y8 manifold, would it bolt up to his oem catback and essentially delete the cat without having to use the test pipe?

Is there any reason you want to equip this test pipe on a stock car?

blandsarcasm

Respected
Registered VIP
if OP bought a y8 manifold, would it bolt up to his oem catback and essentially delete the cat without having to use the test pipe?

no im almost positive the length of the factory midpipe wouldnt match with the y8 header. the op isnt trying to equip a test pipe that was just a suggestion that was thrown out there for some reason. if the op absolutely didnt want to switch out the y7 manifold it would be hypothetically possible to use one of those adjustable 3 piece test pipes. youd have to remove the center slip fit portion and possibly trim the other section shorter to get the right length to bridge the gap. it could then be welded or clamped. im not sure what the smallest diameter you can find those in but it would have to be as close to the oem size as possible to seal the donut gasket.

Last edited:

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member

No it will not just bolt right up. The ex/si style header stops much closer to the engine. The reason it stops shorter is so there is room for the catalytic converter. That exhaust piping the OP has is meant for an ex/si style header setup with the use of a cat or test pipe in mind. That space has to be addressed. I wouldn't suggest a test pipe, you can buy OEM style catalytic converters

(Just an unnecessary breakdown of how it goes together because I'm bored and I take too many pictures)
The OP has the cat here up front where the O2 sensor is

The ex/si header or aftermarket ex/si style header with move the catalytic converter location to under the engine, just behind the oil pan like...

A test pipe or catalytic converter will fill in the gap between where the bolt on exhaust and new header setup sit. It will have a 2 bolt flange on one side and a 3 bolt flange on the other for a seamless install.

This is my old test pipe

Ultimately, it will all bolt together like this underneath the car
(this example is with my K series, but it's the same setup just a very minor length difference for the catalytic converter/test pipe)

If there are any more questions.....then start back at the top of this thread and read it again :lol:

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The exhaust systems from 92-00 all bolt up the same.
That statement isn't true either.
92-95 Civic all models and 96-00 Ex/Si all share the same cat back exhaust.
All 96-00 NON Ex/Si models, those being the Cx/Dx/Lx & Hx all have the cat converter bolted right up to the exhaust manifold, right next to the block, with the O2 sensor right there.