Where to buy a/c compressor???

civic_dreamer

5+ Year Member
My air conditioning recently died. I figured it needed to be re gassed so I took it to the mechanic when it was time for a service and he says my a/c compressor is broken and I need $1000 just to buy a new one. That doesnt include labour etc. So I was wondering if any one knows where I can buy one new or reconditioned. No way am I paying that much! I had a look on ebay but didnt find anything. There are no civics in junk yards over here in Western Australia. I have already called 6 of them. So any tips or help would be greatly appreciated as its the middle on summer here in Australia. It was 40C yesterday (104F) and I had to drive home from work for forty minutes in that. I nearly died! Cheers
-civic dreamer

SGGilmo

Yay, Another Car.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
most auto parts stores should carry them and are roughly $350 new around here. not sure in aus

31dev31

Chillin' Canadian Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Keep looking for used ones locally, you'll never know...

jdm jim

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
have the junkyard do an interchange to see what other ones will fit.

civic_dreamer

5+ Year Member
93civee has offered to sell me his (but it could die after a year) i dont know if it would be better just to buy a new one. I found this one on a website http://www.car-stuff.com/carparts/hondacivic19941995apgcompressorsapg11236258249.html but mine is a 93 not a 94 and here is a picture of mine & my engine bay.
But they would be the same right? Note that we drive right handed over here in Aus and I think that means that parts of the engine bay are opposite. Would that mean I would have to get opposite to this for it to fit? After all it is an American site I would be buying off. Any help/ comments would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.

SGGilmo

Yay, Another Car.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
92-95 should be the same as for the opposite thing im not totally sure but i would imagine it would still work. after all we put jdm motors in our cars that are lhd when the motor came out of a rhd car. not 100% sure on that though.

EGHseries

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
you should be fine with that one just make sure you get the correct one, no matter what you will spend around $350