Where to find info on how to do a b16 swap legally (cali)

ne0tas

hey guys didn't know where to look just asking a couple of questions
1. where can I find a good price on a b16? And which kinds are the good ones? I see the b16a2 is from the Civic Si but the b16a4/5 has a bit more horsepower.
2. I live in cali and I would like to know how to do a swap legally with all the paper work and such.
3. What is a really great guide on how to swap in a b16 into a obd2 Civic?
thanks guys

EDIT: Also, I have a 99' Civic EX Auto 4-door with a D16y8 and a dying tranny.

ReedMann

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
If you are looking for a smog legal swap B16 swap, then I think the B16A2 is your only option. You will need the full swap from a 99-00 Si as well as all the emissions controls (i.e. charcoal canister, catalytic converter, O2 sensors). You will also need to run the Si's OBD2b ECU.

Hendo

Sporting Lunatic Fringe
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Yes, the motor has to be the same year or newer as the car itself, that's the law pretty much everywhere.

ne0tas

Would i have to get a new harness and motor mounts? Ivr seen a lot of build threads for the 96-98 but none really for the 99-00 civic. Also since its an auto what else would i have to go through to do the auto to manual swap would i have to get a shift linkage from an Si or would an aftermarket one suffice? Ive seen auto to manual swaps on D engines and they also say that you have to move the o2 sensor or somrthing

Whats a good price on a b16a2? I may or may not rebuild it ive seen some on ebay for about 1500-2000

Failsafe88

gt CasaNova
Registered VIP
catch can neo chrome]Yes, the motor has to be the same year or newer as the car itself, that's the law pretty much everywhere.[/QUOTE]

Law not looked upon much here if we even have it lol.

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
I just did a b16a2 auto to manual swap though it'd be different for you in terms of ECU and engine harness (both of which i still have). I think the cheapest way to make sure you get all you need is find a wrecked EM1 and swap everything over. Thats pretty much what i did (I traded an integra to someone with a complete swap which was pulled from a wrecked em1 for $1800)

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
Youll need other things outside of just a wrecked car though which you can google search for. Just so you know its not 100%. Namely mounts and probably a jumper harness for the ecu. I dont think you can use the factory b16a2 harness but i may be wrong about that.

MistahJuice

100% real juice
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Been there done that. You should strive to make engine same year as car but in my swap for instance my head clearly shows 94 on it whereas my car is a 95. If you have swap hooked up with correct obd wiring they should not bother you but it all depends on the tech you get, so best off making it same year. Also jdm engines are a grey area right now, you have to call and ask but a friend of mine told me they don't care as long as everything is usdm spec, but once again if you decide to go that route call them up first to make sure.

As for how to's theyre all over the web just google, auto to manual will be a bit more difficult. Pedals are annoying to install and wiring is a bit annoying, but other than that you'll be fine.

ne0tas

I have a pickapart a couple miles from me and i probably wont be doing this swap until this summer and i'm just trying to find all the info i can so i can be prepared (mostly) so ill probably try and get some pedals and a clutch cylinder and which mounts would i need for the b16 swap? Just the tranny mount? And just so im clear since i have a vtec enginr i would be able to use my stock harness? Without splicing or modification? Im not too familiar with the electrical system at all so yeah.

And i've tried searching for guides on my 99 but theyre only d series guides and theres only so much i can learn on those like the auto to manual swap ive tried searching for a b series swap but nothing

ne0tas

Ive been also looking at a b18b since theyre cheaper than a b16 and just have no vtec would everything be the same as a b16a2 swap ?

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
yes everything on a b18b would be the same to swap, you would still need mounts ecu shift linkage if still going to manual if not you can find an auto b series tranny and it should just bolt up with no wiring

ne0tas

Wait i meant the crv b20 engine not the b18b i heard that its hard to swap thise and get bar'd in cali since its technically a truck engine or so ive heard?