Which coilovers are good for me?????

evakk

Ok i have a 02 civic ex coupe and currently have lowering springs with a 1.6" drop on 17in rims and was wanting to get coilovers for a smother ride. I went to the shop by my house and they suggested i get the Tein Street Advanced. I dont mind spending the money on those but i noticed on here most people on here are saying the koni/gc combo is the best. I dont race my car since it is an automatic and I also use it as my daily and is mostly just for looks. Im wanting my drop to be atleast 2" and i've read that the koni combo isnt for slamming so what coilover setup would be for what I want with a smooth ride?

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Unless your springs are super stiff and/or your shocks are blown, going to a coilover setup will generally mean your ride comfort will get worse.

Tein coilovers are far overpriced for what you get out of them.

The Koni setup for the 7th gen+ requires chopping up your stock front struts. They are shock inserts, not a full strut. It's not that hard to do, but there's just no saving them or going back after. Also the Koni/GC can't get very low on the strut suspension with these cars. They can lower a good amount, but defintely not slamming.

What is your budget?

SpdkilzEX

SpdkilzEX
mine is slammed about as far as it can go without any camber or streched tires so if i went any lower the tires catch on the front fenders bad when you turn sharp so this was the point where it did not scrub and i promise you that if you want a smoother ride coilovers is not the way to go it really stiffens up the ride but definitely looks great

What you gotta decide is is comfort more important than the drop? its not unbearable its just not the best ride as a daily, its really bouncy, you scrub, and speedbumps, potholes, and railroad tracks are your worst nightmare! lol if you still want to do it i can find you a good set of coilovers. just make sure its what you want because its a lot of money to decide you hate it.

here is mine slammed on fully adjustables, the lawnmower is just to put it in perspective.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Ok i have a 02 civic ex coupe and currently have lowering springs with a 1.6" drop on 17in rims and was wanting to get coilovers for a smother ride. I went to the shop by my house and they suggested i get the Tein Street Advanced. I dont mind spending the money on those but i noticed on here most people on here are saying the koni/gc combo is the best. I dont race my car since it is an automatic and I also use it as my daily and is mostly just for looks. Im wanting my drop to be atleast 2" and i've read that the koni combo isnt for slamming so what coilover setup would be for what I want with a smooth ride?

evakk

Unless your springs are super stiff and/or your shocks are blown, going to a coilover setup will generally mean your ride comfort will get worse.

Tein coilovers are far overpriced for what you get out of them.

The Koni setup for the 7th gen+ requires chopping up your stock front struts. They are shock inserts, not a full strut. It's not that hard to do, but there's just no saving them or going back after. Also the Koni/GC can't get very low on the strut suspension with these cars. They can lower a good amount, but defintely not slamming.

What is your budget?
They said my struts were out and i guess instead of telling me to get new struts he pointed me to the coilovers. i didnt want to spend over $1400 because i was going to get some other things done also.

SpdkilzEX

SpdkilzEX
ok i am just trying to get a grasp on what you really want, after thats decided the parts needed can fall into place and i will help you find the best for your money. after your last response i don't get the feeling you want coilovers thats just what someone told you to get instead?

They said my struts were out and i guess instead of telling me to get new struts he pointed me to the coilovers. i didnt want to spend over $1400 because i was going to get some other things done also.

SpdkilzEX

SpdkilzEX
please correct me if i am wrong, i have just spent money like that and really regretted it on other things. I am just trying to help out

evakk

ok i am just trying to get a grasp on what you really want, after thats decided the parts needed can fall into place and i will help you find the best for your money. after your last response i don't get the feeling you want coilovers thats just what someone told you to get instead?
ok i would like my car to be lower then it is right now and it at like a 1.6 drop. I have tein springs on it right now and apparently the struts are out which is make it ridicoulous to go over any bumps whatsoever. I would put a picture on here but i dont have a "link" i guess.

SpdkilzEX

SpdkilzEX
to add pictures you can use image shack, create a free account, click media upload, make sure image size is set for message boards, then browse and select the picture or pictures you want then upload them, after that is done select the image, if you want to do more than one you will have to do one at a time, after you select the image and it comes up scroll down and on the right hand side you will see imbed image, click it so the drop down box appears, then copy the link for the forum, after that is done you go back to the thread you want to post in such as this one and paste the link you copied, it will just appear as text in your editing stage of your post but once you hit submit reply it will show up in the thread as an image after your first one its very simple to do and you will start using it a lot i am sure. But back to the car i know how that is as well but if you want coilovers i can help you find some within a price range. I hope this was somewhat helpful and i will do what i can to help

ok i would like my car to be lower then it is right now and it at like a 1.6 drop. I have tein springs on it right now and apparently the struts are out which is make it ridicoulous to go over any bumps whatsoever. I would put a picture on here but i dont have a "link" i guess.

SpdkilzEX

SpdkilzEX
Thats a pretty coupe, if you get adjustables you can have any drop you want just make sure you count the threads to make sure they are all even, you do not have to go as low as me and speedbumps would not be a huge issue, i just go all out and plan my trips accordingly lol its not impossible to drive every day, i use to but i have a truck i drive every day now. biggest difference in springs and coilovers is springs are a set height, coileovers can be adjustable depending on what you get. also ride comfort is better with springs but handling is much better with coilovers, there are soo many determining factors to consider when determining suspension setups there are pros and cons for each lol

[img=http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/2862/wp000084.th.jpg]

Well im guessing coilovers will give me the drop i want vs the springs correct? I do use this car everyday and have to go over speed bumps and railroads though.

evakk

Thats a pretty coupe, if you get adjustables you can have any drop you want just make sure you count the threads to make sure they are all even, you do not have to go as low as me and speedbumps would not be a huge issue, i just go all out and plan my trips accordingly lol its not impossible to drive every day, i use to but i have a truck i drive every day now. biggest difference in springs and coilovers is springs are a set height, coileovers can be adjustable depending on what you get. also ride comfort is better with springs but handling is much better with coilovers, there are soo many determining factors to consider when determining suspension setups there are pros and cons for each lol
Well thanks it just sucks because its an automatic lol. How low is your drop that you have? I'm not too concerned with the handling since i dont go to tracks but i do like the fact that I could adjust the height if i needed to. So if i got coilovers i wouldnt have to replace the struts correct since i would be getting a coilover kit correct? But if i got different springs I would have to get those and additionally new struts?

SpdkilzEX

SpdkilzEX
:0 OH NO! :'( an auto?? that should just be a crime!! and i am not sure inches wise i just know its too low i have been trying to find another coupe to park beside it so we can compare height, but there are none around here that i would want around my garage if you feel me.

next topic, Coilovers are completely independent so no need for struts or anything like that they come ready to install. Coilovers come in two different types, fixed length or adjustable. if your going to spend the money on a coilover kit my personal recommendation is fully adjustable i have used both and i prefer the adjustables. they do however have some with damping adjustments to adjust the stiffness a little.

Pros: easy to install, could transfer to many different honda bodies, better handling, adjustable ride hight, do not need spring compressors and many other tools just a few basic tools.

Cons: higher price, a little more stiff ride, and just more expensive if you have to replace.

I hope this is helping

Well thanks it just sucks because its an automatic lol. How low is your drop that you have? I'm not too concerned with the handling since i dont go to tracks but i do like the fact that I could adjust the height if i needed to. So if i got coilovers i wouldnt have to replace the struts correct since i would be getting a coilover kit correct? But if i got different springs I would have to get those and additionally new struts?

SpdkilzEX

SpdkilzEX
megan racing has a fully adjustable kit with damper for around 850 i believe, you can get lowering spring/strut kit for around 350 to 400ish they can run higher and lower depending on brand and type of kits. my buddy has the megan racing kit on his hatch and he is happy with it. i currently run a skunk 2 pro kit and i like it but its over a thousand and i believe there is a BLOX kit under a thousand? dont hold me to it but i am pretty sure there is and a few other kits just not a top name brand but still pretty decent. especially if you want to do other things. you could save a little money in that area if you do not need it for racing only looks. for looks you do not have to have top of the line just saying

evakk

megan racing has a fully adjustable kit with damper for around 850 i believe, you can get lowering spring/strut kit for around 350 to 400ish they can run higher and lower depending on brand and type of kits. my buddy has the megan racing kit on his hatch and he is happy with it. i currently run a skunk 2 pro kit and i like it but its over a thousand and i believe there is a BLOX kit under a thousand? dont hold me to it but i am pretty sure there is and a few other kits just not a top name brand but still pretty decent. especially if you want to do other things. you could save a little money in that area if you do not need it for racing only looks. for looks you do not have to have top of the line just saying
I know i hate it being auto so thats why I dont know which i should get(coilover or spring/strut). If it were you would you just get the coilovers even if you dont race? I was prepared to pay 1400 for the Tein coilovers so anything less is a plus =).

SpdkilzEX

SpdkilzEX
honestly since you do not do any kind of racing i would say dont get the Tien Coilovers, yes they are really nice! but you really do not need them just to drive....just get some yonaka, function form, or skunk 2s all should be less than like 650ish on ebay? good quality for cheaper price since your not a racer....I have been considering selling mine but i need to get new ones first lol thats just my two cents. it is ultimately up to you but thats what i would get if i were you and trying to get the most for my money

I know i hate it being auto so thats why I dont know which i should get(coilover or spring/strut). If it were you would you just get the coilovers even if you dont race? I was prepared to pay 1400 for the Tein coilovers so anything less is a plus =).

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Wow.. ok I need to pick at these posts...:shock:

mine is slammed about as far as it can go without any camber or streched tires so if i went any lower the tires catch on the front fenders bad when you turn sharp so this was the point where it did not scrub and i promise you that if you want a smoother ride coilovers is not the way to go it really stiffens up the ride but definitely looks great

What you gotta decide is is comfort more important than the drop? its not unbearable its just not the best ride as a daily, its really bouncy, you scrub, and speedbumps, potholes, and railroad tracks are your worst nightmare! lol if you still want to do it i can find you a good set of coilovers. just make sure its what you want because its a lot of money to decide you hate it.

here is mine slammed on fully adjustables, the lawnmower is just to put it in perspective.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Your tires are rubbing when you lower your car too much most likely because the offset for your wheels is not ideal. I've seen a 5th gen civic dumped, tucking 17" wheels and still able to drive around without rubbing issues because they had the right offset.

The right coilover setup can be relatively comfortable, or on the other end, very uncomfortable. You just need to know what you're doing.

Your car is a 5th gen with double wishbone. The OP has a 7th gen with MacPherson. They are very different and need to be seen differently.

There's a very good chance that when you set the perches on your coilovers, they will not all sit at the same spot on the coilover. I just went over this in another thread on here.

One of the perks of coilovers is that you can set the height at what you want. HOWEVER, this does not mean you can/should just play around with the height adjusting them all the time and drive it. You need to have an alignment done every time you adjust your ride height. Otherwise you will ruin your tires fast. So when you first install your coilovers, set them at the height that works for you, get an alignment and leave it there. If you decide later to change the height, remember to get another alignment.

:0 OH NO! :'( an auto?? that should just be a crime!! and i am not sure inches wise i just know its too low i have been trying to find another coupe to park beside it so we can compare height, but there are none around here that i would want around my garage if you feel me.

next topic, Coilovers are completely independent so no need for struts or anything like that they come ready to install. Coilovers come in two different types, fixed length or adjustable. if your going to spend the money on a coilover kit my personal recommendation is fully adjustable i have used both and i prefer the adjustables. they do however have some with damping adjustments to adjust the stiffness a little.

Pros: easy to install, could transfer to many different honda bodies, better handling, adjustable ride hight, do not need spring compressors and many other tools just a few basic tools.

Cons: higher price, a little more stiff ride, and just more expensive if you have to replace.

I hope this is helping
Not all coilovers come in one piece. IE: Ground-Control sleeves. And since the OP mentioned, Koni/GC, you need to buy the Koni inserts and the GC's seperately.

When you make the adjustment for the shock, you are not making your suspension "stiffer" or "less stiff". You are changing the rebound settings. It's not like your car will have more or less body roll when you adjust your shocks.

Megan Racing and Blox are garbage. Skunk2 is not much better... I wouldn't recommened any of them to anyone for anything.. Even if you are not racing, you should still research and choose a highly reputable product for reliability, ride handling/comfort, options(spring rates, adjustability, ability to be rebuilt, etc..), warranty, safety, etc...

If you are looking for a specific ride height, coilovers are the best way to go. However, if you find a lowering spring set that would get your car at the height you want, it is much more cost effective to choose them with a good set of struts over a coilover setup.

honestly since you do not do any kind of racing i would say dont get the Tien Coilovers, yes they are really nice! but you really do not need them just to drive....just get some yonaka, function form, or skunk 2s all should be less than like 650ish on ebay? good quality for cheaper price since your not a racer....I have been considering selling mine but i need to get new ones first lol thats just my two cents. it is ultimately up to you but thats what i would get if i were you and trying to get the most for my money
Again, I wouldn't suggest Yonaka or F&F personally. Yes they very well may work for getting him slammed, but in the long run I don't see them being a very smart choice. Skunk2 spring rates are quite high and their shocks are valved quite aggressively for them, so the ride quality isn't desirable for most.

OP, look into the Progress coilover kit. The spring rates are much more desireable for your car. They are a tried and proven company that has been around for years and their coilover kits are great for any street car. Cheaper than those Tein's, a little more than those lesser quality companies.

SpdkilzEX

SpdkilzEX
wow ok so this is where i am going to say a few things, 1 he asked opinions and i gave mine, 2 there was no need to say the others are crap just because you personally do not like them. I have run every one of them trying them out and i was completely satisfied. I set mine to what you say as "slammed" and i went to get it aligned and he said it did not need it at all. you can give opinions without being rude to others opinions.

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I'm not trying to be rude. You're as free to voice your opinions as am I.

Whoever said you do not need an alignment after lowering your car is either screwing with you, doesn't know what they are talking about, or does not care about your car at all. When you lower a car, you change camber and toe. Both of which will eat up your tires. The main one being toe. This is why any time you raise or lower your car, you need to have an alignment done. Your toe settings WILL change. This is also why it is a good idea to at least have your alignment checked when you do any suspension work like bushings, or even a simply R&R of your current suspension.

I'm not basing my statements on what I personally just don't like. I'm basing it on years of experience in both racing and with street use. The technicalities are coming from my training when I went through T-TEN school and worked for Toyota. The OP can take them or leave them..

SpdkilzEX

SpdkilzEX
my car is sponsored by a local shop and he put it on his machine to do the alignment and everything read the way it was supposed to. tread is wearing evenly and not faster than they should. You are entitled to your opinion we all are but please dont start on the not knowing what i am talking about subject

I'm not trying to be rude. You're as free to voice your opinions as am I.

Whoever said you do not need an alignment after lowering your car is either screwing with you, doesn't know what they are talking about, or does not care about your car at all. When you lower a car, you change camber and toe. Both of which will eat up your tires. The main one being toe. This is why any time you raise or lower your car, you need to have an alignment done. Your toe settings WILL change. This is also why it is a good idea to at least have your alignment checked when you do any suspension work like bushings, or even a simply R&R of your current suspension.

I'm not basing my statements on what I personally just don't like. I'm basing it on years of experience in both racing and with street use. The technicalities are coming from my training when I went through T-TEN school and worked for Toyota. The OP can take them or leave them..

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
my car is sponsored by a local shop and he put it on his machine to do the alignment and everything read the way it was supposed to. tread is wearing evenly and not faster than they should. You are entitled to your opinion we all are but please dont start on the not knowing what i am talking about subject
Then your cars suspension is one of a kind...

If you don't want to believe me, believe the thousands of articles written by true professionals. The proof is in the facts.

http://www.aa1car.com/library/ride2h.htm
If the springs are weak and the suspension has sagged two or more inches below the specified ride height, the arms are forced to operate above their normal plane and beyond their normal range of travel - which can cause undesirable changes in camber and toe.
http://autorepair.about.com/od/glossary/ss/df_alignment_6.htm
Measuring ride height is an indirect method of determining spring height, which is important because it affects camber, caster and toe.
http://bakerprecision.com/longacr16a.htm
Changes in ride height can have an effect on toe as well.

Feel free to look up all the other information I elaborated on in my previous post. What you posted is fine, most of it is very vague though. Again, not trying to be mean. If you want to help the OP, explain what there is, how it works, and why it works. Otherwise his decision is left up to nothing but guesses.