Which is the BEST Dseries engine to place on my Dx?? help.

SpeedTechnik

Nothing but Performance
Registered VIP
I have a honda hb dx and have blown the head gasket. I dont have the money to get anything more than a dseries and smog test is coming up so i chose to go with d series to lessen probs with a reff.
stock engine
new cat
new head
partial tune up before blown
new fuel filter and fuelrail

I found online that it is possible to do a partial swap to have a D16 to vtec and that you can also pur in Vitara pistons to increase hp and lower compression (good for forced induction but i don't really kmow what that it)
:???:

Spades

Forced induction is the addition of a turbo or super charger

You lower the compression to allow more air and fuel (safely) into the combustion chamber. You simply lose power without the turbo/super charger on the car.

For the d series v-tech, you are looking for the d16y8

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The two best d series motors are typically the d16z6 (came in the fifth generation 1992-1995 civic ex and Si) and the d16y8 (came in the sixth gen 1996-2000 ex models)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SpeedTechnik

Nothing but Performance
Registered VIP
Forced induction is the addition of a turbo or super charger

You lower the compression to allow more air and fuel (safely) into the combustion chamber. You simply lose power without the turbo/super charger on the car.

For the d series v-tech, you are looking for the d16y8
So without the supercharger or the turbo, i would just loose power; so If i out one of those things, how much hp would it give me and should i place those pistons for less compression if it will have me loose power? im looking to get high hp without redlining

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I would just replace with the stock engine just to get you back on the road and through smog.

Then you can do research and figure out what u want to do once you have money and arent in a rush.

SpeedTechnik

Nothing but Performance
Registered VIP
The two best d series motors are typically the d16z6 (came in the fifth generation 1992-1995 civic ex and Si) and the d16y8 (came in the sixth gen 1996-2000 ex models)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
i hear that those have a lower redline around or something but have higher torque and hp at lower rpms but that they have higher compression like 10.4.1 , sooo why are they the best? since im looking to get the most hp i want something that can handle it.

I would just replace with the stock engine just to get you back on the road and through smog.

Then you can do research and figure out what u want to do once you have money and arent in a rush.
how much would replacing the stock engine cost?? and what probs could come witht that ? like if its possible that it hasnt been compression tested or something

Last edited by a moderator:

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
Ok, since you NEED an engine and have to pass smog, just get a stock engine from a reputable source and leave it alone. After you have done a s**t ton of research and understand how an engine works, then we can help you in the best possible way. Youre going to cause yourself more trouble than a car is worth in a hurry. Don't take offense to how I am saying this, we are just trying to enlighten you and keep your car running the best/easiest way possible.

SpeedTechnik

Nothing but Performance
Registered VIP
No offense taken xxblood88shotxx, i know only know the tip of the ice burg :/ i know the mods someone can do and engine specs and such but as far as how the engines work or how each individual mod does to improve xengine still confuses me :/ im still doing a lot of research, its been month 1 in research and i hope to get really good and someday craft my on "legal" mods

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I don't think you are grasping the concept of the D-series motors being for GAS MILEAGE not power. Unless you throw a bunch of money at it to restructure it for power which you said you don't have, you aren't going to get anything near good HP numbers out of a gas sipper.

Either throw another economy motor in and enjoy your excellent gas mileage or spend the money and drop a bigger motor (b-series, K-series, etc) OR boost it and go for HP.