whining noise from speakers

UnitZero

First Child
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
I just recently replaced my old stock speakers (6.5s & 6.9s) with new pioneer ones, along with a small 4ch amp to power them. It sounds fine but at low volumes, I can hear this faint supercharger type whine through the speakers as I step on the gas. Any Ideas???

UnitZero

First Child
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
what's a ground loop?

Zoot187

5+ Year Member
UnitZero said:
what's a ground loop?
Ground loop noise occurs when you have minor differentials in the grounded parts of signal carrying wires. In car installations, usually it occurs when you add an amp that isn't as well grounded as you think it is. It may be well grounded enough to work, but the variations, however small in the grounds to the amp versus the head unit can create the whine you speak of from the alternator. First thing is to use quality line level connection wires from your head unit to the amp. Next is to run a heavy duty ground wire from the point where the amp is grounded, and ground it to metal at or very near to where the head unit is grounded. This should solve the problem.

Wait4it

5+ Year Member
What he said. And also make sure you didnt run the amp power wire and the speaker signal wires together , i did that first time i installed an amp and got a bad whine and had to take it back apart and run the signal wires down the opposite side of the car.

95EXcoupe

5+ Year Member
Yup

Couldn't agree more, plain and simple bad ground. Had the same problem once i installed an MSD ignition, find a better metal spot or strut tower to ground too and it was all good.

gearbox

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
upgrade all ground wires, and hardwire the deck power and ground directly to the battery.