White Smoke!

Spoonb16a.

I have a 93' CIvic hatch with a second gen b16a. Runs fine. When i get to vtec and shift white smoke comes out. Not alot of white smoke but alittle bit. Im not loosing any coolant at all. Could it be oil? or un burnt fuel?

eK4TheWin

Plz dnt teez the SOHC
I have a 93' CIvic hatch with a second gen b16a. Runs fine. When i get to vtec and shift white smoke comes out. Not alot of white smoke but alittle bit. Im not loosing any coolant at all. Could it be oil? or un burnt fuel?
Hey, how's it going. I doubt that this is your problem, but u never know: sometimes filling up your car with too much oil can be the definite culprit of white smoke. It sounds to me that, since you only experience this at VTEC (high rev's), you could possibly have a little too much oil in the motor (cuz of the pressure that may be building up).

If that's not it and your oil pressure reading isn't wacked, check your PVC valve. This is another common cause of low to moderate emmission of white smoke.

And yet another possibility is a small leak in your head gasket. Being that its been extremely hot this summer, if your constantly pushing your car (which isn't all bad, you gotta have fun lol), I wouldn't be surprised if you've begun to develop a leak in your head gasket.

ekcoope

Every b16 I dne seen smoke web it goes into vtec Idk y u got to think man those engines are old and just need to be refreshed in Tha head a little

Gunner

Registered VIP
At least you got one usefull response....Ek4thewin basically said it all, i am just wondering are you throwing any codes at all? Done any work to your engine lately? it is most likely a minor problem or not a problem at all i would not go as far as saying it is normal tho.

eK4TheWin

Plz dnt teez the SOHC
At least you got one usefull response....Ek4thewin basically said it all, i am just wondering are you throwing any codes at all? Done any work to your engine lately? it is most likely a minor problem or not a problem at all i would not go as far as saying it is normal tho.
"i am just wondering are you throwing any codes at all? Done any work to your engine lately? it is most likely a minor problem or not a problem at all i would not go as far as saying it is normal tho"

Ditto

SGGilmo

Yay, Another Car.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
black smoke is fuel
whiteish blue smoke is oil
white smoke is coolant.

i would go with small headgasket leak as well.

do a compression test.

95coupeEX

yeah white smoke isnt oil, bluish white is. if its white then you've got coolant getting into the combustion chamber, obviously a slight head gasket leak.

Hondaflow

I burn a little white smoke looks blue at time cant really tell.. So i was nervous of head gasket but i did a compression test and had really nice readings across all 4.. So i would say do a compression test to just make sure. But its a honda and pretty much all honda's i have seen burn oil.

Themegajosh09

Every person I know with a vtec engine a bit of smoke comes out of at high revs. Mainly cause vtec uses oil.
Of you take off the oil cap and air comes out when idling then you have a blow by. That means you need new piston rings. It shouldn't hurt anything but it will use oil