Whp?

Drackonn

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
whp = wheel horsepower
hp = horespower

hp is usually measured at the crank which will be a higher number than whp because you lose a percentage of hp in the drivetrain when it is transfered to wheels ... so like 250 hp ... 225 whp ... same car ... just measured in different spots =).

Suanico

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
hp is what the factory specs say it should be at the crank, but when you dyno it hp is lowered by the time it hits the wheels, so its usually a lot less

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
And generally, you lose about 15-30% (or so I hear. Diff people say diff #'s) at the wheels.

ryanM

15% is the general rule of thumb, more if your car is automatic.

and dont say you get whp when you dyno, because there are more than just chassis dynos

ryanM

I_am_Iceman said:
What is BHP. I know it means Brake Horse Power, but thats all I know.
its actually "break" horsepower or base horsepower, and it is just another name for crank horsepower

civicEXowner

5+ Year Member
LongGrain said:
15% is the general rule of thumb, more if your car is automatic.

and dont say you get whp when you dyno, because there are more than just chassis dynos

so i should just take out 15-30% off my crank HP and it should give me my WHP? is that kinda right?:lol:

can87

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
that percentage depends on many factors, differs from car to car and the lose is "approximately" 15%

Drackonn

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
as stated above there are a lot of factors - like engine upkeep ... an engine that hasnt been taken care of will put out less hp over time ... etc ...

Going-West

Tree people on my radio
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I always heard 10% for manuals and 15% for autos...it all depends on the car, the quality of the drivetrain ect ect

civic98turbo

I'm back ....
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
well damn...i did some whp calculators ...taking into effect weight with driver, trap mph and 1/4 times...

it comes out my b16a with i/e has about 165whp....?no way...i have no idea though? its whatever

RHennin

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ok not to sound pissy but really....

1. USE GOOGLE, my god people, i mean really. You can figure out most basic questions like this if u use google or some search function like ask.com.
2. Those "calculators" are only general uses obviously and cant account for the condition of the motor etc...

ryanM

those calculators are bullshit, i tried one for kicks earlier today, it asked for car weight and E.T. i decided to put some specs from my old 99 civic EX coupe. i used 2525 as the weight, per our specs section, and 16.0 as an ET because ive seen stock EX's run that fast....it said my car had 76BHP and 62WHP...yea thats only a little bit off...more like almost 50hp...

Going-West

Tree people on my radio
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
civic98turbo said:
well damn...i did some whp calculators ...taking into effect weight with driver, trap mph and 1/4 times...

it comes out my b16a with i/e has about 165whp....?no way...i have no idea though? its whatever
Those definitly arent 100% accurate. A b16a with i/e probably has 155whp at the most.

civicEXowner

5+ Year Member
RHennin said:
ok not to sound pissy but really....

1. USE GOOGLE, my god people, i mean really. You can figure out most basic questions like this if u use google or some search function like ask.com.
2. Those "calculators" are only general uses obviously and cant account for the condition of the motor etc...

holy crap man what went up ur @$$???