Why changing catalytic converters?

oztech

5+ Year Member
Recently, I've posted about changing my exhaust system. Anyway, I was wondering why am I trying to change catalytic converter. Do I need to change that? What for?

itsmycookie

#1 a*****e
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
oztech said:
Anyway, I was wondering why am I trying to change catalytic converter. Do I need to change that? What for?
i dunno why are you? no you don;t need to change it. the only reason you;d change it would be if you were replacing in with a high flow cat or a straight pipe. no you don;t need to replace it. your post hurts my brain.

oztech

5+ Year Member
I already Bought TSUDO N1 catback exhaust system for my civic 97 EX. Then, will this be a reason to change Catalytic Converter? Still don't know why I have to change it. If it worth it then, I'll change it.

itsmycookie

#1 a*****e
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
no you don;t need to change it. its cat back. so it;ll hopefully bolt right up to the stock catalitic converter

oztech

5+ Year Member
Thanks I'll not buy that. However, I still have question. When do I need to change that? and What's makes the difference?

itsmycookie

#1 a*****e
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i would think that a high flow cat would just be a larger diameter cat, for boosting reasons.

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
in an older issue of TPR magazine, they replaced the stock cat with a randon technologies high-flo on a 99 Si, then dyno'd the car. it gained 6.9 hp over stock. i replaced my cat as well, though i didnt dyno it. along with an unoticable amount of power gains the exhaust note "opened" up and increased by a good 15db. if your car just isnt loud enough as is, go for the new cat. dont make this mistake though: OBX-R cats do not always fit unmodified. i tried an ebay obx cat for my 00 Si, it was a piece of s**t and waste of money... the O2 sensor couldnt reach to the new location on the cat, and the bung on the cat was in the way of a spring-bolt to attach to the headers... random-technologies cats i highly recommend

oh, and i believe the TPR test car's cat had like 70K miles if i remember correctly

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
replacing the stock cat with either a high flow cat or straight pipe will allow better flow of exhaust gases which in turn will free up some hp.

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
TPR dyno'd the same car with a test pipe which only gained .9hp on the high-flo but significantly increased the exhaust volume

98civic98

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
itsmycookie said:
your post hurts my brain.
hhahahahaha thats awesome.
sigged

but in truth, replacing your cat w/ a high flow cat will give you better flow, which in turn makes your car louder and gives you a few extra horses.

that VERBAL

AKA Theiven Stealberg
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
9 horses on a high flow cat? Doubtful, unless this was tested on a car with turbo.

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
not 9, point 9, there is a decimal in front of that:

high flo = 6.9 hp

test pipe = 7.8 hp

ekshowciv

I'm in Japan Bitches!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
go and do a search on google or any car forum for exaust. read up on it. there is a post on here about modifying your exaust system. and also try the search feature on this forum it works. if you really don't know how to use it there is a how to in the nubie section.

vejita1283

import mechanic and racer
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ok, lesson one. if your going to modify your exhaust, do all of it or else u wont gain s**t. secondly, i live in cali and smog is a main prob. if you live in cali, replace your cat back every 30k miles or so. if you dont, u will fail smog like i did. if you live outside of cali, take off the cat back and run straight pipeing, its just there to limit the amout of HC's (hydro-carbons) going into the atmosphere.