Why don't you have a multimeter in your tool box?

RonJ

Banned
Many Club Civic tech questions involve electrical problems. Surprisingly, I've noticed that many of you who do car work either don't have a multimeter or don't know how to use it. This baffles me as it's one of the most important tools in your garage. And price is not an excuse. For example, below is shown a sale ad today from Harbor Freight Tools, where you can buy an adequate digital multimeter for $3. In addition, if you don't know how to use it, just ask in your tech threads. Many members could help you out. Just sayin'.

Kensai

♪♫♪♫♪~
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
I've got two different ones! =D

So...how much does harbor freight pay you for the plugs?

X-aCuTiOnA

W.W.H.D.?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i got mine too. a MM and the light up screwdriver (forgot the name) have saved my ass plenty of times. in fact, i have a mini electrical kit i keep in the back of my car that saves my butt (plus some of my friends) all the time. Also has about 5 of each amperage fuse and wireless soldering iron. best thing in my trunk minus my tool bag...

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i got mine too. a MM and the light up screwdriver (forgot the name)...
Continuity tester. Along with the multimeter it is a must as well, though it just makes it quicker as you can just poke the wire. The multimeter does the same thing, only it has more options to do other electrical tests.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I don't have one, have never used one on my car (I'm pretty sure my brother never had one used on the car either when he had it before me. We're the only 2 owners of the car), and have fixed all issues thus far.

emerican

Registered VIP
I have had one for so long i cant even remember where i got it and it has saved me on the old ragged out previous cars. Havent had to use it on the civic yet. The OBD scanners i have are worth there weight in gold though.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Yeah I've used a code scanner at least a couple dozen times on my car by now. I should've bought one of those a long time ago. Thankfully my friend bought one last year and I used to live with him and a couple other friends so I would just borrow it :lol:.

I'm gonna need a multimeter though to test my fuel sending unit later this year. Same friend has that stuff so I'll probably end up borrowing that too :lol:.

emerican

Registered VIP
Thats a good friend to have im that guy to all my friends except they dont take nothing away from my shop they can work on it there and ill help, but no way are you leaving with any of my tools.