why i bought a GTI instead of a civic...

Status
Not open for further replies.

uggtiTURBO

5+ Year Member
A few months ago I made a post debating a Civic Si and a GTI. I have since forgot my password, but would like to explain the choice I made and invite a friendly debate over a topic that has been beaten to death. With that said, I now drive a 2008 GTI.

I was in the market for a car that performed well, did decent on gas, and was in my price range. Coming from a completely unbiased background, through loads of research and actually having experiences with both cars, I was able to make a great choice. I hope this thread may catch the eye of someone interested in both cars. I am not here to bash the Civic Si, just to give a logical explanation of why I think the GTI trumps the Si in many categories.

Before I test drove both vehicles, I already knew a substancial amount of information about both of them. I drove the Civic Si coupe first. My impressions of the vehicle were not very good at all. Just looking at the car, I had quotes from the fast and the furious running through my head. The spoiler, overall boy racer image turned me off big time. The dash is very awkward and fails horribly at bringing a newer, techy look to the Si. The seats were nice, very comfortable. However, I did not like the materials and overall fit and finish the Si seemed to have. It seemed very cheap and only suited for cheap thrills. On to the actual driving. Before I let the VTEC roar, I took it easy to see what daily driving would be like. And I was very dissapointed at the torque provided in the lower RPM's. I had no "get up and go." Once the dealer invited me to open the car up a bit, I was impressed at the VTEC's ability to throw me back in my seat. But at what cost? I don't want to seem like a psycho every time I want a little power out of my car. And to make matters worse, what would I look like in a civic with an abnoxious spoiler, horrible VTEC decals, redlining my car just to get my jollies? I was 16 once, and am no more. Handling felt good, but I felt like I wasn't connected to the car at all. Very impersonable. Onto the VW...

I test drove a 2008 candy white 2dr GTI. From the outside, I immediately fell in love with the image. The GTI is a wolf in sheeps clothing. Subtle sporty accentuations bring life to the GTI. Stepping in, I was shocked at the quality of the interior. The steering wheel was meaty and sporty. Everything seemed to flow. The fit and finish is astounding (not surprising considering VW/Audi set the bar in interiors).. The leather seats were sporty with subtle "GTI" logos on the headrests. Immediately I knew this was something I could get used to. I test drove a stick considering that is what I wanted my car to be. Driving conservatively, I was shocked at the amount of torque produced in the lower RPM ranges. This car would pull from anywhere! The steering is sharp, tight, and precise, and you get the feeling the car is "one." When I opened her up, I immediately remember thinking, "This has GOT to be faster than the Si." And on paper.... it is. And the TURBO! I am looking to modify my car quite a bit, and the GTI just takes the cake here again. A simple $500 chip will boost (no pun intended) the car to 250hp and 303 ft/lb.

I began asking myself why this was even a debate! Then i remembered the dreaded reliability stigma that still haunts VW to this day. While I do believe the Civic Si will overall more reliable than the Civic, many notions of VW's reliabiltiy stem from the Mk4's. I also am a firm believer that 16-25 year old female jetta drivers who do not believe in maintaining their cars may have skewed the numbers just a bit. The MKV's up until this point have proven a lot more reliable than the previous generations.

Finally I was able to understand why everytime someone mentions a GTI on this forum, every response is a knock on VW's reliabiltiy. That is the one of the only things the Civic has on the GTI.

And at the end of the day, my Honda civic si will still be a honda civic. A cheap car made for economical reasons. And I wanted more than that, so I bought the GTI.

As Jeremy Clarkson said, "When you buy a Honda, you end up with a Honda. Whereas when you buy a Volkswagen..... you don't. When you put everything aside, this car is a SENSATION."

And I agree. Open the floodgates.

knightxrider1

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
oka stephen king. cliffnotes would be great. why would you post this in a civic forum anywyas?

Raabe

Hell yea I suck toes!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
have fun with all the rediculous prices for repairs and the cost for the use of special tools. oh, and if you fix it yourself, have fun again BUYING all those tools.

ill stick with my simple hondas...

Ltrain

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
intresting review, im not surprised, i would get the new gti insead of the si because it more compact and quick, sorta like what hondas used to be

JerseyStrong

EMII
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
your first post is telling us why you chose a GTI over an SI?

perm. ban.

Ltrain

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
have fun with all the rediculous prices for repairs and the cost for the use of special tools. oh, and if you fix it yourself, have fun again BUYING all those tools.

ill stick with my simple hondas...
yea your right about that, but on paper and in looks the gti just steps on the si. IMO

A-2-B

Red+ Blue+ Flashing = Bad
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
... you should be removed from this forum.

JMan8108

SOHC VTEC SON!!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Hahahah funny first post on a honda forum. Ive had a chance to give both a spirited drive and I think they are pretty close performance/fun wise. Granted the VW seems a little nicer on the interior side, but isn't the sticker price quite a bit more than the Si? Both overall great cars IMO

fliposopher

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i only read the first 4 sentences. i appreciate your effort in conveying your thoughts on this subject in a clear well thought out manner. but who gives a crap, honestly... i dont. seems like you have a bone to pick with someone.

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
I thought it was funny how you said you werent going to bash the Civic, then you turn around at the end and call it a cheap car made for economical reason. Way to be a douche.

lilwhitecoupe

Ricer
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
v-dubs = pos.

my cousin just snapped his timing belt. then it bent all the valves. 3500$ repair bill now.

best of luck to you though

oddeb707

R.I.P Stephen Jackson
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
im not going to bash the OP but what a homo

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
to each their own and i hope the OP enjoys his VW.

2000 EKCivicEX

i VTAK
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i think your way off on the civic and i personally dont like the interiors in the new gti i think its junky
i agree vdubs= POS!

LowNotSlow

Aqua Teen Christmas Force
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Funny how you call a Civic Si still just a civic, and you wanted more than that, so you bought a Rabbit with a GTi badge.

PS> MK4 VW's had issues and so do the MK5's, my brother (once a huge VW fan and made it regular practice to bash on my Hondas) will now never buy another VW after owning first an MK4 Jetta and then an MK5 Jetta, both suffering from serious issues ranging from transmissions eating themselves up to electronic shorts that won't allow the car to start randomly and the dealership can't fix. It was always fun picking him up in my DC5 to drive him to the dealership to pick up his car, AGAIN.

I don't even like the new civics, but I don't hate myself enough to buy a Volkswagen.

Other knocks against VW:
You're now driving a hatchback that weighs 3,100lbs, that's f**king ridiculous.
21mpg city rating (WRX does that while making more power).
No LSD, good luck making actual use of that power.

doug piston

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Funny how you call a Civic Si still just a civic, and you wanted more than that, so you bought a Rabbit with a GTi badge.

PS> MK4 VW's had issues and so do the MK5's, my brother (once a huge VW fan and made it regular practice to bash on my Hondas) will now never buy another VW after owning first an MK4 Jetta and then an MK5 Jetta, both suffering from serious issues ranging from transmissions eating themselves up to electronic shorts that won't allow the car to start randomly and the dealership can't fix. It was always fun picking him up in my DC5 to drive him to the dealership to pick up his car, AGAIN.

I don't even like the new civics, but I don't hate myself enough to buy a Volkswagen.

Other knocks against VW:
You're now driving a hatchback that weighs 3,100lbs, that's f**king ridiculous.
21mpg city rating (WRX does that while making more power).
No LSD, good luck making actual use of that power.

served

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
My impressions of the vehicle were not very good at all. Just looking at the car, I had quotes from the fast and the furious running through my head. The spoiler, overall boy racer image turned me off big time. The dash is very awkward and fails horribly at bringing a newer, techy look to the Si. The seats were nice, very comfortable. However, I did not like the materials and overall fit and finish the Si seemed to have. It seemed very cheap and only suited for cheap thrills. On to the actual driving. Before I let the VTEC roar, I took it easy to see what daily driving would be like. And I was very dissapointed at the torque provided in the lower RPM's. I had no "get up and go." Once the dealer invited me to open the car up a bit, I was impressed at the VTEC's ability to throw me back in my seat. But at what cost? I don't want to seem like a psycho every time I want a little power out of my car. And to make matters worse, what would I look like in a civic with an abnoxious spoiler, horrible VTEC decals, redlining my car just to get my jollies? I was 16 once, and am no more. Handling felt good, but I felt like I wasn't connected to the car at all. Very impersonable. Onto the VW...
Okay, so he doesn't like the spoiler from the start and didn't want anyone to think he was a ricer because the car had stickers on it.

The end.

<-- Wouldn't buy the Civic either, but not because of a spoiler and stickers. Never driven this year GTi, but it's doubtful I would want it either.

Status
Not open for further replies.