Why is my right front wheel an inch closer to cabin than left side?

fredn

Sex and Cars.
SO, while replacing the front radiator support and basically taking the front of my car apart I decided to take a look at why my right front wheel is an inch farther back than the left side front wheel. I don't understand. The car was never in a serious accident, just the recent one, and I've measured all the metal on both sides and it's all the same.
Is it just an alignment thing? It drives fine how it is... but it looks ridiculous and I get mad tire rub (stock height) on bad speed bumps because the tire knocks up into the back of the wheel well.

At one point in time the entire right front suspension came out to fix some wheel studs so I guess I must have not put something back on right. Also, I suppose there could be some oval holes (for front suspension alignment) for the bolts of some attachment point on there but I can't tell. Any suggestions or ideas? thanks.

-Fred

OR must the car have been in some serious accident? I'm at a loss. T.T

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
if you took the entire front suspension apart...
if it does not look right...
if it is rubbing on bumps at stock height..

I would say that a good alignment would be a good place to start.... at least if you get an alignment it will rule out the simple..

larry500west

Sounds like something on the suspension is bent ,broken or worn out I have replaced alot of control arm bushings for excessive tire wear also some times control arms get bent with not much impact.

fredn

Sex and Cars.
Ya... I might get an alignment just to rule that out... The thing is the tires aren't wearing bad... and the steering wheel doesn't drift to a side TOO bad. It does, but it's not like I'm fighting it, the wheel sits totally straight; it's just an inch farther back than it clearly should be. I don't know. I was looking into some research.

I understand the upper control arm and lower. upper just moves that big metal bar up and down and those bolts up top look good. The lower control arm looks good (no physically visible damage). What about the bar attached to... what is that the crossmember? The part that is attached by four bolts... Maybe those bolts are on oval holes? I'll have to look and take some pictures tomorrow. It's too dark now. I'm just trying to figure this thing out. Thanks for the help guys.

-Fred

sinister06civic

sounds like the the cradle is out of alingment,the alingment tech. will see it during the sweep and aslo ask them to check axis inclination. there doesn't have to be serious symtoms for this to be out so it would'nt effect drivability for sure

fredn

Sex and Cars.
Well, been on and off fixing this car. And it looks like a lower control is bent. Took measurements after finally almost giving up. The right lower control arm is really bent backwards (according to measurements). Like, it's hard to see from eye or I would have pictures. After an alignment didn't fix the problem and the guys said they didn't know (or didn't really try >.<) I took it all back apart and compared everything. So. Anyone got a stock (right hand side) lower control arm with nice bushings? Haha. I'll probably just end up buying a new one since the bushings need to be replaced anyways I guess... UGH... Tried my life.

And a new question actually. Which might be related to the fact that the whole suspension is backwards more than it should be... Why is my strut sticking out above the hate into the engine bay? I'll grab some pics of that tomorrow. NEVER seen anything like that before... I was moving in between parking lots and heard a banging... ya... How to describe... well 98 civic ex,so the hat is bolted in two places with 14 mm bolts. Those are tight and perfect on. Now the strut is then bolted in the middle there... with that self locking nut (has an 5mm allen wrench in middle of it). Then there's the rubber down there. Now all the rubbers are there... I don't know why they wouldn't be anyways and this strut is just popping out of the top of the hat. But the other side is fine. I don't know.

Thanks in advance. -Fred

fredn

Sex and Cars.
Hm. Well I think... after doing some research that its because the struts won't work with the drop... Could this be true? The drop is at least 2 inches right now. And now it looks like the back left is popping up too. I'll snap a picture or two tomorrow. SO the front right and back left are popping but the left front and right rear are okay? Could this just be a fluke? Do I need to grab a different pair of struts to correct this... and why would that affect it/what kind of struts should I look for to fix this problem. I want to think the springs just are sitting in the hat incorrectly... I'll snap pics in the morning. Ideas? Looks like I might just have to save up for some function and forms and that right front lca to get this RIGHT. Car sitting now in parking lot until I figure this out.

(lowered on springs with stock struts ( << new struts dammit) meh)
-Fred

fredn

Sex and Cars.
SO. Anyone know anything about castering? I've been led to this conclusion. My car is castering due to the traction bar and maybe a bent lower control arm. Nice. getting somewhere. Here are a few pictures for further information. Just looking to get ideas and information about this stuff.

Left side (correct)

Right side (problem side - very very wrong!)

Left side strut through hat (is very good)

Right Side strut is going through the hat (very bad)

Looking at castering being problem... will replacing lower control arm this weekend fix this... (alignment in near future of course after) or is the traction bar most likely messed up too? I will be taking measurements and comparing the sides of traction bar this weekend when i replace lower control arm. Thanks for any and all help!

fredn

Sex and Cars.
Still having problems... I can't seem to get my front lcas out... this bolt is stuck on both sides and is spinning on one side but not coming out... is it stripped? Ugh please help. If you are in orlando area and want to get greasey I will buy you dinner for your help or something. Let me know. Need this finished by sunday...

fredn

Sex and Cars.
Got a separator from autozone. didn't work. Those nuts are just stripping the bolt. I don't know what the f**k to do.