Why not supercharge?

Chucklee514

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I just noticed that, when seeking power, the tendency is to turbocharge. This left me to wonder, why not supercharge? It's easier and ussually cheaper to install a centrifugal supercharger than to install a turbo, but I've never come across a supercharged Civic. Is there any particular reason behind this, besides the inherent loss of efficiency with a supercharger over a turbo? Or is it the hood space? It seems that could be overcome with simple modification. So, what is it?

Mastaciv

5+ Year Member
I'm not sure how much cheaper it is the well made kits such as Jackson racing and such get above $4000 and Hondas' seem to handle turbo boost better.

Don't get me wrong if i had the money id totally go the supercharger route =)

C-M-CUM-EM1

5+ Year Member
I've noticed that as well but I've been a d-series turbo'd and supercharged and i like turbo better and I have ridden in b-series turbo'd only and i like them much better. I have a built poormany type r that's getting boosted for christmas. I think you can tune more power out of a turbo imo.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
AFAIK, superchargers are limited as to how much power they can put out.

cvcrcr99

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
As others have said, superchargers are more limited regarding the maximum amount of HP they can produced compared to a turbo set-up. However, it is all about your goals, how much money you have to spend, and what deals are on the forums/local craigslist/ebay at the time you have the money. (well, that last one isn't entirely true, but is was for me at least =))

IMO, superchargers easier to maintain (less parts & things to worry about), and a lot easier to tune compared to a turbo set up. I have a JRSC (7psi pulley) on my D16 and love it. Just search around and price shop. I see people on Ebay selling JRSCs for D series for around $1000. I believe someone here in the classifieds section is selling one right now, too.

subsonic-civic

5+ Year Member
As others have said, superchargers are more limited regarding the maximum amount of HP they can produced compared to a turbo set-up. However, it is all about your goals, how much money you have to spend, and what deals are on the forums/local craigslist/ebay at the time you have the money. (well, that last one isn't entirely true, but is was for me at least =))

IMO, superchargers easier to maintain (less parts & things to worry about), and a lot easier to tune compared to a turbo set up. I have a JRSC (7psi pulley) on my D16 and love it. Just search around and price shop. I see people on Ebay selling JRSCs for D series for around $1000. I believe someone here in the classifieds section is selling one right now, too.
How much power are u putting down at the wheels? (just wondering)

hooked_on4

RegularFlush
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
did they use SC's on anything but domestics in F&F? I rest my case ;)

nicoyita1

I eat rice. And beans.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
^^ haha x2, actually my ej8 was supercharged before I bought it.

hooked_on4

RegularFlush
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I might SC my ride, i really only want about 200HP in this car so I might go that route, we'll see. If i do it'll be a cold-side SC for sure.

cvcrcr99

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
How much power are u putting down at the wheels? (just wondering)
Never been to the dyno yet. Still need a clutch and header then I'm done for the most part. However, I would guess I am putting down around 165-170ish whp/145-150ish wtq. I also have upgraded valvetrain/injectors/camgear/exhuast/etc.

I have plans to build a z6 block with some D16a1 pistons (0.5mm overbore), eagle rods, new oem bearings. Those pistons should up my compression to just about 11.5:1. Hoping to hit around 185-200whp by the time I'm done.

hooked_on4

RegularFlush
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I heard they just perfected electric boost, prolly be out by the time I can afford to SC or TC lol

somejaykid

i'm a mod now
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
AFAIK, superchargers are limited as to how much power they can put out.
this and depends on how much money you wanna drop in your motor to handle more boost

HARMON

N/A RACING
5+ Year Member
actually, turbo's affect more of your speed, while Superchargers are more for torque. i'm pretty sure thats how it works

thats why you see alot of supercharged trucks, they want the torque to pull big loads.

but remember with a supercharger it TAKES power to make power

hooked_on4

RegularFlush
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
^^ wow you're soo smart where do you acquire all this superior knowledge :shock:

my D16 redlined at 12k rpms so yeah you saved me big time! :roll:

HARMON

N/A RACING
5+ Year Member
Quote -
is a supercharger runs off a belt that its speed is rpm based where does having more power come into play???
and u see turbo trucks not S/C.. ---------------

you mean to tell me you've never seen a sc truck?! ur full of s**t then and i DID say I BELIEVE that was how it worked... i was wrong SUE ME lol

FYI who ever said there D16 maxed at 12,000 rpms. I'm callin bullshit unless you had like your life savings dumped into it lol