Why not tune a D16y7?

offroading.net

scrw
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Every one seems to say turbo them, but what is wrong with these engines?

Has anyone done any head work on them? I want a bit more urge over 4k rpm but dont want the hassle of turbos and engine swaps. I have diy flowed a few heads myself, built up loads of engines, so why cant i play on a y7?, are they really that crap or is it no one has tried due to available engine swaps :?: :?:

$lick Rick

TEOTWAWKI
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
if you try to build it all motor you will end up spending twice as much as you would on a turbo and get half of the results

KennyC

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
because goin all motor ur best 1/4 times on a single cam 1.6 liter fully built prolyl wouldnt make it past 15 sec.

offroading.net

scrw
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Kali Bird said:
because goin all motor ur best 1/4 times on a single cam 1.6 liter fully built prolyl wouldnt make it past 15 sec.
Not building for a 1/4 time, building for track lap time, and not those funny oval things you race on over the pond either ;)

Only looking for the region of 130-140 ponies, I take it the bottom end can take this much if people turbo them, so need to look into head / valve / inlet and exhaust mods.

EXSpeedAddict

POWERTHIRST!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
why not swap to a d16y8 head with i/h/e, and you'll be runnin in the hp range you want, plus you get vtec in the top end

$lick Rick

TEOTWAWKI
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
EXSpeedAddict said:
why not swap to a d16y8 head with i/h/e, and you'll be runnin in the hp range you want, plus you get vtec in the top end
he'll be lucky to be pushing 135 to the crank with those mods, which wont amount to jack didly at the track (oval or otherwise)
there's are some all motor single cams running 12's.... but it's incredibly cost inneficient, you're better off with a turbo or motor swap.
i'll be turboing my 95 civic ex (d16z6) pretty soon

greenlx777

BigRed is Dead
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you wanna know how difficult is it...click on the body work link in my sig...and start reading

offroading.net

scrw
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I have taken my fiat 1245 from 60 to 90 bhp with head work. I cant see why you shouldnt get results with the y7