wierd noise when i turn

MadPeach* 98 Lx

5+ Year Member
Whenever im at a stop and have to turn my car makes this clicking noise. But it only does in when the turn is sharp. If i take the turn wide it wont make the noise. Also if i let off the gas it doesnt make the noise either.

Any Ideas???

s_crowley 17

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Cv joint/axle, take off your tire, you will se that the boot is ripped.. get it replaced asap

jcsm90

KiNg
5+ Year Member
i used to get that noise when my headers were cracked.. other then that idk

EM1FTW

5+ Year Member
its the cv joint.
don't bother with just doing a boot, odds are the damage have already been done.
replace the axle.
as for price, phone your local parts store, shouldn't be more then $100. OEM would obviously be more.

juxstapo

5+ Year Member
Vote same as the last five, CV joint, < $100 for entire axle, personally recommend replacing both side to keep milage even.

Note: When installing the new axle, push it Till It Clicks. Some models require a lil' bit of effort. Embarassing pain in the ass to get everything back together, put it in gear, give it some gas, and roll.. down... the hill.. cuz the axle isn't engaged.

Would anyone recommend an alignment after?

Ian123

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
definately your cv joint...make sure you get the whole cv axle replaced. i just did mine yesterday parts labor and tax came to $312

Arcane Hayter

I'll sleep when I'm dead.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Classic CV joint failure. You should try turning sharp in reverse, then you'll really hear something. Of course it might tear it out completely. The market is flooded with Chinese made CV's you should be able to get new ones with a warranty for about $55 a piece. Don't screw around though, fix this crap fast.

96swpdEK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
hit up autozone or kragens or some auto parts store like that and the axle should be abou $60.

and you get a lifetime warranty so if it happens again you just bring the broken axle in and theyll give you a new one right there.

juxstapo

5+ Year Member
and with 'em that cheap you'll have to resist the temptation to pick up a few more. Use them as mailbox stands, weld some together for lawn furniture, get a short set to use as freeweights... oh the possibilities.

MadPeach* 98 Lx

5+ Year Member
man i feel dumb... every body says get it fixed fast.. but this has been going on for like 6 months.. is it really that serious??

hondacivicgrl

5+ Year Member
yes...You should replace the CV joint asap. IF you just ripped the boot and noticed it earlier you could have just replace the boot and repacked the CV joint with grease.

Arcane Hayter

I'll sleep when I'm dead.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I had a Mazda 323 that I constantly beat the s**t out of (river bottoms, burnouts, you name it). The driver's side axle failed at the outer knuckle when I made a right hand turn. Luckily, I wasn't moving very fast, but it twisted the steering wheel out of my hand and dumped some neat looking ball bearings into the street. Then guess what happens...
You're stranded because the transmission will spin the side with the least resistance, which is now no longer in contact with a drive wheel.
It makes me cringe every time I hear someone in a parking lot with a bad CV joint. I think about what kind of a mess I would have been in if mine had failed at a higher rate of speed.

Ian123

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
its basically the same thing as cancer is to smoking. most likely nothing bad will happen but why take a chance