Will Engine hold

rsw912

Hey im looking into buying a turbo kit for my d16z6 but it has like 185xxx on it. Will The factory engine hold up with a turbo? The car is also an automatic right now will that cause any issues?

DeathLens

EM1 Crew
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Why would you put a turbo on an automatic car...?

And as far as engines go, stock internals can only handle a certain amount of psi depending on the size of your turbo.

rsw912

gonna swap to 5 speed soon will engine hold up to turbo kit? Found turbo kit used for cheap what all would i need to put on and run without harming engine?

DeathLens

EM1 Crew
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Make sure it's not some garbage ebay turbo kit. And it's all in the tune. Find a really good tuner. If you beat on your car untuned, you will destroy your motor.

Main things you'll need:
Turbo
Manifold
Wastegate
Blow off valve
Intercooler
Downpipe/Exhaust
Injectors
Engine Management (AEM, Hondata, etc)
Map sensor
Boost controller

Theres a looottt more stuff you'll need along the way.

what's your power goal?

emerican

Registered VIP
I would get the kit if it all checks out, but i would wait untill you do the 5 speed swap to throw the kit on. The auto tranny isnt going to hold much and anything over a certain amount of torque is gonna spell the end to that auto tranny. Then you wont be able to drive it untill you put a new tranny in and your car will be down for however long it takes you to put in the 5 speed. So do the tranny swap first IMO auto tranny will end up breaking under any real power.
I would rebuild my engine before i put the kit on as well just to know its healty before boosting it.

PandaEK9

there is no point in boosting a stock motor.
it will fly apart i can almost promise that. just do a little research and set a power goal. if your gonna bosst your motor you need to know how much boost you want to run so it would be best to at LEAST build the head.
thats just my 2 cents.

got traction

i rock the sohc
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you need to know how much boost you want to run so it would be best to at LEAST build the head.
This is completely wrong, you need to build the motor to handle the amount of POWER you want to make. You can make good power on a single cam with just rods/pistons and a stock head; its been done many times before.

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
there is no point in boosting a stock motor.
it will fly apart i can almost promise that. just do a little research and set a power goal. if your gonna bosst your motor you need to know how much boost you want to run so it would be best to at LEAST build the head.
thats just my 2 cents.
disagree. There is a point in boosting a stock motor, you will be fine as long as you run a good tune and a psi your motor can handle. I know people who have ran 9psi on their STOCK motors for three years now with no problems. And i would recommend building the block before the head. The block will go before your head