Will it hold out

Rufio

Hokage
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Ok i got a b18c droped into my hatch and i going to turbo it. I know that it is a strong engine but i dont want to tear it up. i wat thinking of runing around 7-12 psi. The b18c has 130k on it, i would like to know if there are some things i should be replacing for the internals. I know that low compression pistions would help but are not nesscary. im not sure if i would need to change the piston rods if they could hadle it or the camshaft or valves. any info would be GREAT!!

Bluedragon

5+ Year Member
I've read in a one of those Honda builder books, by (Joe Pettit), that you can run 14psi on a stock B series motor. To me that seems really high, 8-10 psi should be safe (that what I plan on running). I think that you should be alright but the more you can replace the safer you will be,

JDM92Bubble

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I would do change timing belt, water pump, get a new head gasket with some ARP head studs and do a compression test on it. If your compression is good across the board then you should be fine boosting, just make sure you get it tuned.

io_303

NIFOC
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Tuning is the key to running boost. you can run 14psi on a really good tune, but wil a little tuning 9-10 psi should be fine

banzai

Exit Speed Garage
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
io_303 said:
Tuning is the key to running boost. you can run 14psi on a really good tune, but wil a little tuning 9-10 psi should be fine

HiGH_CiTY

Lock It Up!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
does the motor burn oil at all? hows the compression? what maintenance (if any) has been done recently to the motor?

get a good fuel management program uberdata or hondata are really good and i've also heard some good things about neptune. however, u should prolly find an experienced tunner to get u set up properly.

but again it comes down to what exactly u plan to get out of it. what turbo set up do u plan to go w/?

Sleeper

92 4doorSleeper
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Rufio said:
Ok i got a b18c droped into my hatch and i going to turbo it. I know that it is a strong engine but i dont want to tear it up. i wat thinking of runing around 7-12 psi. The b18c has 130k on it, i would like to know if there are some things i should be replacing for the internals. I know that low compression pistions would help but are not nesscary. im not sure if i would need to change the piston rods if they could hadle it or the camshaft or valves. any info would be GREAT!!
130k? your motor a B18C1 or a B18C? mile seen pretty high for a B18C, The B18C1 make out to be a better boost motor from the .6cr difference. Plenty of people out there run 7-12psi on a B18C1, not a good ideal to run 10-12psi daily, its a stress on the engine & poor on economy

HiGH_CiTY

Lock It Up!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
again . . u dont have to hit boost ALL THE TIME. u can drive a turbo car normally (even if its tunned for high boost) by simply staying out of boost. and w/ a boost controller u can down the boost for street driving. and most ppl that turbo their cars are not concerned w/ effects economy wise. forced induction = stress on the engine, thats a given