Will Not Start

tye

S.T.U.D.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
so i have an automatic civic and was changing the rad hose under the distributer. took the distributer off the engine, and fixed the hose. while i was buying the hose im not sure if my brother messed with the distributer or not but when i put it all back together it wouldnt kick over and start. it sounded like she almost wanted to start but it just wouldnt...

is there any way i could re adjust the circle thing on the distributer and see if that will allow her to work?

any other suggestions.

c_diddy

drove through a tree
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Do you have the correct firing order?

projektej8

-------------------------
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
When you put the dizzy back on did you use a timing light to correctly clock it? The rotation of the distributor sets your ignition timing. too advanced or too retarted and its not going to run right or start

RonJ

Banned
Firing order is definitely the first thing to check. If the firing order is correct, check the ground connected to the thermostat housing.

If you plan to remove your distributor, mark a line across the distributor and head with a Sharpie pen so that you can install the distributor in time by aligning the marks.

tye

S.T.U.D.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
When you put the dizzy back on did you use a timing light to correctly clock it? The rotation of the distributor sets your ignition timing. too advanced or too retarted and its not going to run right or start
I didnt use a timing light to correctly clock it, and the firing order is alright cuz those plugs were not un plugged. there is no way to manually check the timing?

the only thing i can think of doing is taking the distributer off and trying to figure out the right timing for it? you cant just turn it to the right or left to adjust it.

RonJ

Banned
A misadjusted ignition timing would not prevent the engine from starting. Worry about that after you solve the no-start problem.

Did you check the thermostat ground?

Do you have spark at the plugs?

Does the fuel pump prime?

When you turn the key to ON(II), does the CEL remain on steady or turn off after 2 seconds?

Last edited:

tye

S.T.U.D.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
it almost turns over and wants to start you have no idea how close it sounds..

ill check the ground after my ball practise today but i dont think that be it..

almost positive i have spark at all the plugs, thus why it almost turns over and starts..

im not sure about the fuel pump being primed but im pretty sure that wouldn't be a problem, cuz the car started and worked fine days before..

and the CEL always has been on since i bought the car but i cleared that code days ago when i un plugged the ecu. so ill also chec that after my ball practise..

RonJ

Banned

almost positive i have spark at all the plugs, thus why it almost turns over and starts..

im not sure about the fuel pump being primed but im pretty sure that wouldn't be a problem, cuz the car started and worked fine days before..

and the CEL always has been on since i bought the car but i cleared that code days ago when i un plugged the ecu. so ill also chec that after my ball practise..
Stop guessing and start checking.

And the problem with ignoring a solid CEL is that you never know when new CEL codes pop up. Fix all CEL codes.

Last edited:

whoopnip

Some Delicious Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
it almost turns over and wants to start you have no idea how close it sounds..

Just wanna add how to check these things, if you don't know.

For the ground, unattach it, clean the terminal and surface with sandpaper, clean off, and reattach tightly.

To check for spark, buy a new spark plug (inexpensive, $2-3) and pull out one wire off of a spark plug. Attach the new plug to the wire, then touch the plug to the metal of the valve cover, or another solid ground. Then, have a friend crank the engine, and check for bright white spark. Repeat for all wires.

For the fuel pump, open the gas cap lid and then stick your ear there and have a friend turn the key to ON (II). You should hear a whirring sound.

Pull the codes from the CEL and let us know what they are. You can use the method in RonJ's signature.

d16y7 98 dx

d16y7 98 dx
dude that is the most horrible feeling to hear it come so close to starting but not kick over. my whole dizzy went out about a month ago. i guess this is a common honda problem?

whoopnip

Some Delicious Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
dude that is the most horrible feeling to hear it come so close to starting but not kick over. my whole dizzy went out about a month ago. i guess this is a common honda problem?
Just takes some simple troubleshooting to fix.