Will u lose HP if u put on an exhaust????

nxstrikerxn

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I recently installed my exhaust n i dont have my silencer n wen i floor my car it lagged from 1 - 3400rpm but after 3600rpm it start pullin....b4 wen i have my stock exhaust it seem to rev n pull faster cuz it has more air pressure..N i have a jdm D15b n 2.5 piping...2morrow im gonna put on my silencer n drive it around to see da difference so for now tell me wat u tink or experienced....

neaky

Nexus One
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I dont know a whole lot about engines but I know that they require a certain amout of backpressure. If you buy a complete exhaust from a reputable manufacturer they will have tested and designed it to give you more hp. If you piece together an exhaust (like I did...) you may lose hp (like I did...).

DirtyD

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
well you are losing hp from that humungo piping of yours

will you lose hp from the silencer? probably not unless you have some sort of f/i

loccusst

Experienced Noob
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
When you put in the silencer you will notice a big differance. The silencer will create more back presure then without it thus creating more torque. Without the silencer in you are decreasing the torque by increasing the exhaust flow which is more ideal for turbos and large displacement engines. If you have a stock engine, or close to it, put the silencer in. I am lucky to have a tunable silencer, basically three plates with slots in them wedged together instead of a solid plate, so I can get the best of both worlds and tune it for the track. Don't be fooled, you can get a good exhaust system by piecing it together yourself. Just do your homework first.

lanojp1

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
if you arent a forced induction engine, with piping that big you are losing torque

DirtyD

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
loccusst said:
When you put in the silencer you will notice a big differance. The silencer will create more back presure then without it thus creating more torque. Without the silencer in you are decreasing the torque by increasing the exhaust flow which is more ideal for turbos and large displacement engines. If you have a stock engine, or close to it, put the silencer in. I am lucky to have a tunable silencer, basically three plates with slots in them wedged together instead of a solid plate, so I can get the best of both worlds and tune it for the track. Don't be fooled, you can get a good exhaust system by piecing it together yourself. Just do your homework first.
how exactly are you going to notice a big difference? you aren't going to notice s**t

it's exhaust on a stock 1.5 i4, not a turbo v8 :roll:

Rand0m

Adamantium Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
about the whole silencer thing...my friend bought the apexi GT spec cat-back exhaust for his rsxS...it is sooooooo much slower with the silencer on...you can easily notice the difference, only its negative, he isnt gaining anything

loccusst

Experienced Noob
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It depends on the car. A stock d motor is gonna lose low end torque, it will feel like you have a car load of fat chicks without that silencer. If you put the silencer in you gain the low end torque and you WILL notice the differance. The rsx-s has way more power than the little 1.5 or 1.6 d series motors thats why he gets a negative effect from the silencer. Again the silencer decreases exhaust flow thus increases the low end power and hurts your top end power of the smaller engines like the d series.

DirtyD

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
loccusst said:
It depends on the car. A stock d motor is gonna lose low end torque, it will feel like you have a car load of fat chicks without that silencer. If you put the silencer in you gain the low end torque and you WILL notice the differance. The rsx-s has way more power than the little 1.5 or 1.6 d series motors thats why he gets a negative effect from the silencer. Again the silencer decreases exhaust flow thus increases the low end power and hurts your top end power of the smaller engines like the d series.
no he won't notice a difference, you are lucky if you can notice a difference after putting on a full catback system... like I said, it's exhaust not f/i

neaky

Nexus One
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
dirtyd16, on a smaller engine you can feel changes in power a lot easier than with a big V8. If you gain or lose 10 hp on a 454 your not gonna feel it but if your running a 1.5..... And I am not saying a silencer is going to change power that much, it is an example.

mizjif

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
neaky said:
dirtyd16, on a smaller engine you can feel changes in power a lot easier than with a big V8. If you gain or lose 10 hp on a 454 your not gonna feel it but if your running a 1.5..... And I am not saying a silencer is going to change power that much, it is an example.
:werd: I believe wut neaky said is true. Its almost impossible to notice a torque diff. on a V8 because they have so much of it. When your working with 100 hp and 60 ft. lbs of torque, you'll notice a 5 hp gain or loss.

mizjif

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
especially when your car weighs around 2000 pounds give or take a few.

scottyfordy

Mopar Muscle
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
lanojp1 said:
if you arent a forced induction engine, with piping that big you are losing torque
Exactly. Unless you buy an exhaust system specifically designed to retain torque or increase it, you are loosing tons of it with a system that big. You horsepower may jump up, but remember horsepower is only good at higher speeds. It's down low where your torque will matter and you've effectively dimished most of it I bet. You need to move to a smaller exhaust, you are driving a four cylinder remember.

2faz4u

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If you have 2.5 piping all the way and a gutted cat or no cat then you will definatley lose torque. You need to at least put a resonator in to create enough backpressure.A lot of times just a muffler won't do it.At the least I would have high flow cat, resonator, muffler. :D

Melt

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ok you are losing mad backpressure with the exhaust that big. I dont know what the stock diameter is but i believe its under 2" ... i had a high flow cat and performance muffler on stock piping on my old 91 civic and that s**t helped, i broke 17's in the quarter mile. I also got better gas mileage, like 2 - 3 mpg better than when i had the stock muffler. And yes i still passed strict ass ca smog with the high flow cat.

matts2ksi

save water...drink beer
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Your definitely gonna lose power with 2.5 piping on your engine...2.5 piping is for forced induction engines or bigger engines. I have an APEX'i N1 with 2.5 piping and I noticed a little loss in low end power, but gained much in the mid to high end. Having an intake and header helps that a little.

Anyway, a silencer is not going to make that much of a difference, if any at all. I would recommend what 2faz4u said, some type of high-flow cat or resonator to help with the back pressure.