window lining coming out!

ekprimal

Hey all, the windshield rubber liner on the right side of my windshield has come out of the groove. I've resorted to duck tape to hold it down from flapping in the window. It looks HORRIBLE. Is there anyway to get the rubber lining into the grooves of the windshield again? Or do I have to bring it to a windshield shop and have them charge me hundreds to remove the windshield as a whole and realign the rubber outskirt :roll:

Thanks!

firejackal

5+ Year Member
It costs few hundreds to get a new windshield... so I wouldn't think they would charge that much. Any way for you to get a friend and take the window out, fix it up, then put it back in? I think that they make a tool that is like a string to get the window out.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Pics would help. I can't speak for everyone, but I sure as hell can't picture what you are talking about. Sounds like the windshield needs to come out and the gasket/seal needs reset, but I can't be sure without seeing it.

They charge $150 for a small windshield like that around here. Brand new. Have you called around to see what they would charge or are you throwing out a guess?

Blayze2010

5th gen lover
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I'd just get windshield company to take a look at what the can do about it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

96 DX Hatch

Alex
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
^ This.

Worst case, crack the glass and take it Safelite and they'll have your insurance company cover the cost of a new windshield.
Usually only takes a couple hours, happy with mine...except mine had a legit reason to be replaced lol

ekprimal

UPDATE: ok so I literally spent 5 hours of my day driving around like a mad man trying to get my windshield molding issue resolved.

I first went through Safelite window repair. All I wanted from them was to reinsert the rubber lining around the windshield. They attempted to do so but weren't able to simply reinsert it because apparently the windshield i have was replaced prior to when i owned the car....and the people that did it before did a HORRIBLE job at doing so. Leaving excess glue and crust around the lining so the current rubber molding cant go into the grooves flush.

So they said they could do it but they'd have to remove the whole windshield in order to do so. They said they would scratch off the excess crud around the windshield then realign the rubber molding and put it back on the car.

The payment charges is where i'm lost and hoping anyone on this forum that has dealt with safelite can chime in. They put me under "REPAIR" which means they would fix any cracks on the shield or any molding issues for $124.00. But then when they told me they would have to remove the windshield in order to fix the molding, that i will now be put under for "REPLACEMENT" which would cost me $297.00 because they said if the window breaks that they'd have a spare new window lined up for me to use. which is why its costing me almost $300.

All i want is the rubber lining to be reinserted! thats all! and now their talking about the windshield possibly shattering when they remove it etc. Is this the ONLY WAY around this issue? I honestly didnt think it was gunna be sucha big deal.

Blayze2010

5th gen lover
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Well if they say it will have to come out there is always a possibility that the glass with break on removal, all glass companies will say that. But that does seem a little high price though. I paid $150 for the last windshield I had put in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Sounds like the only way to me, if it is in fact the rubber seal. Safelite does this hundreds of times a day, I would think they know what they are talking about...

$297 sounds about right for a retail windshield install.

Last edited:

96 DX Hatch

Alex
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
See if they can work it so your insurance gets billed and it costs you nothing out of pocket.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Insurance is usually an extra coverage for glass is it not? I know I have full coverage on my Gli and I don't have glass replacement...

Wait...I just noticed that you posted pics. I didn't see them before. Is that rubber? That looks like the plastic trim that goes around the outside and that usually has clips that hold it in. I think they are green or orange...

96 DX Hatch

Alex
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
IDK, maybe it differs between company/policy/etc., but they had my windshield covered by insurance and I didn't pay anything nor did my rate go up.

ekprimal

IDK, maybe it differs between company/policy/etc., but they had my windshield covered by insurance and I didn't pay anything nor did my rate go up.
even if you weren't in an accident or anything? I feel like i would need a legitimate excuse for insurance to cover it besides saying how a pebble left a crack in my windshield and that the aging of my car is causing the molding to come undone :(

96 DX Hatch

Alex
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Yep. Pebble bounced off the wiper arm and chipped the glass.
Over a few months, being lowered took its toll and the crack was spreading.
Took it to Safelite and they billed USAA and I was back to driving in about 2hrs. I think they only charge you (insurance) if you claim more than one window every 6 months or so, so I was told by a rep.