Wiring problems ! Car almost catched on fire

SKATERANGELO

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Hi guys i been out of the scene for a while but i knew i was gonna buy a honda again.
well here its my problem ,i got a 1993 honda civic dx with a b18c1 from gsr and i noticed that my cluster fuse kept blowing up ,i put a fuse with bigger amp (30amp) and today when i was driving i noticed that my car smell liuke burning,all of the sudden it turned off ,i tried to diagnost the problem and i wasnt getting fuel or spark i looked at the engine harness and it was TOASTED from start to end ,,,im pretty sure i need a new harness but how come my cluster fuse kept blowing out

L.D.Forget

the fuse is the rating it is to PREVENT smoking your harness and setting your car on fire. Now you have to get a new harness, which wont be cheap. Its blowing out due to a short.

2NRSTV

Team Exile/ADO Garage
Registered VIP
I agree with L.D.Forget.

And you'll be lucky if any of the components aren't fried also.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I am amazed that when a fuse keeps blowing, people find that the fix is to put a bigger one in. I have seen it time and time again and it still blows my mind.

Fuses are to cut the current to prevent fires and fried components.

My guess is that you had a grounded wire somewhere. Now you are going to have to replace the harness and ffs put the correct fuses in and keep them there. If something is blowing, find out what is causing it instead of putting a bigger fuse in. Hope the lesson was learned here. It could have been dramatically worse. I have seen whole cars burn to the ground because of a stupid move like that.

boosted to 26ps

#1 wrecker builder
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
wouldnt it of been simpler and less costly to DIAGNOSE THE ISSUE....instead look at the mess you got now

SKATERANGELO

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i didnt know about the fuse am not a mechanic i know am at fault nut that how u learned

SKATERANGELO

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
lol ,where can i get an engine harness i thought i couild of got the one from civic dx but doesnt match at all

sohclubkid

Sick 6/6
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member

SKATERANGELO

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
f**king guy scrwed me up he sent me the harness and never told me it was a jdm harness none of the plugs reach everything its backwards,anyone knows what kind of harness i can use

2NRSTV

Team Exile/ADO Garage
Registered VIP
You can lengthen the wires with the same gauge wiring so that they can reach what it needs to reach...

civic402Lx

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
wow..i don't know what to say man..
tried helping you but yet u still went your own way...all i can say is good luck..extends the wires and make sure to solder them..

shoulda bought the correct wire off ebay for your b18c1..plug and be done..now u have to put out more time and work..

good luck..

Xeirky

well i put a different size fuse in my old prelude cause i was taking out my sounds when i sold it and my pops turned it on a the fuse for the windows and locks and stereo got blown out and i but a 20 in it

SKATERANGELO

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i tried to buy the b18c1 harness from ebay but the action ended ,i contacted to see if he still have it.

at thebeginning of the harness theres a biggle plug i noticed that the jdm harnessits missing a plug pinor ,is tis normal