wont rev past 5k

civicturbo91

professional bitchslapper
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i put my car in the shop to have the head gasket and alternator replaced. when i got it back the car would

not rev past 5200 rpms. when i start it up initially and go to drive it sputters and back fires but shortly after it

runs fine with the exception that it wont rev past 5200 rpms. also there is an occasional ticking noise that

almost sounds like the ac compressor kicking on but its louder and coming from the head. it does it every

few mins and sometimes within a few seconds of each other. the shop said they took it to a machine shop

to have the head planed and shaved. please help. im trying to sell this car and i have lots of interested

buyers but i cant sell the car like this. motor is a d16y8. stock motor. Thanks

RonJ

Banned
Sounds like the mechanical timing is off by a tooth. Take the car back to the mechanic.

civicturbo91

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Sounds like the mechanical timing is off by a tooth. Take the car back to the mechanic.
the shop refuses to take responsibility for it because they say it was running fine when i left. which i didnt hammer the car as soon as i got it back. i didnt notice til the next day. but they said the timing is right, that they timed it before i came back to pick it up.

RonJ

Banned
Check the mechanical timing (see below).

Any CEL codes?

civicturbo91

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
thanks. what exactly is that above the crankshaft pulley that the "A" is pointing to?

RonJ

Banned
The A is actually meant to be an eyeball looking at the pointer aligned with the white TDC mark.

civicturbo91

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
The A is actually meant to be an eyeball looking at the pointer aligned with the white TDC mark.
ahh okay. thanks. kinda confused me. i'll have to get the car up in the air and check the timing then. any other ideas if that isnt isnt the case, possible unplugged cam sensor or any other sensor?