Worried about mpgs

racewithferrari

My 98 honda civic goes 300 miles in one tank containing 11.9 gallons. Assuming that my 85% of journey is on highway.
125K on odometer
Is it normal ?
I am getting worried because that is about 25mpg.:(

Any comments

Thanks

willowcairns

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i filled it up today and i went 300 miles on 9 gallons. Check how many gallons your putting in at fill up and then do some math

willowcairns

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
its mostly how you drive and where you live

albertc86

5+ Year Member
its mostly how you drive and where you live
Pretty much. Check the basics to obtain better MPG. If you have rims, go back to hubs if it means that much to you. 25 mpg is still relatively better than what you'll get with any other car.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
It depends on a lot of things. My friend had the exact same car as me (99 ex 5spd /w 90k miles) and got 35-40mpg but I only got 29-32 mpg. His car was in MUCH better condition than mine at the time. I actually drove like a grandma for one tank and still only managed 32 mpg.

25 is a tad on the lower end. How long has it been since a tune-up was done? Check your tire pressure as well.

civic0918

Registered VIP
yeah like john s said a tune up would definatley help and i never thought of tire pressure for mileage but thats a good thought. I have to do the same as well for my car.

VSP

Just hand me the wrench.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
That's about what I average on my 2000 EX, and that's with an enormous amount of highway driving.

All the above suggestions are good. Also consider changing your fuel filter if you haven't done so recently.

yamaharider324

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
my 98 ex gets between 28-35 mpg. Thats all mostly city too.

230 miles with about 7.4 gallons = 31mpg

I'm not complaining.

J-Sap

5+ Year Member
I get around 33-37 MPG on my stock 98 EX.

I also just did a major tune up including a water pump that was giving a lot of resistance and starting to go when I pulled it out.

Aaron.

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
in my car, i get around 35 mpgs when my fluids are at the correct levels and when there not get around 28-30 mpg, might just be my car but check your fluids

Kswest

Failboat sails at 9
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I was having this same problem not too long ago. I was getting barely 300 miles to my 11.7 gallon tank, well, about 10.5 that I burned and at roughly 30mpgs I was concerned. Start with the basics, oil change, tire pressure, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and if you so choose, maybe even a fuel filter. If that doesn't help, I would recommend checking to see if you're throwing any codes, even if your CEL isn't on. Past that, it's a matter driving style and where you do your driving. I filled up my tires and my mpg went from 30 to 35mpg and that was sufficient for me. Good luck.

jumpncrash

on my last tank I got 490km on 38l
comes out to 304miles on 10 gallons, so roughly 30mpg

I think I should be getting better MPG, all of it or almost is highway, but I drive at 120-a30km/hour most of the time.

Nick

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I get about 300 per tank on average... when I fill up it's usually around 10 gallons or so.. soo... roughly 30mpg.. all city driving.