Wotn shift out of park & no brake lights

ILuveRice

I have a 1993 Honda Civic EX coupe with 180,000 miles. The car shifted out of Park fine but the IACV was making the engine idle high. I replaced the IACV with a new one then started the engine and it didn't idle high anymore but then the car wouldn't shift out of Park and the brake lights won't turn on when I pressed the brake pedal. I thought it was a coincidence that the brake switch wore out so I replaced it with a new one then reset the ECU but it still won't work. I checked the brake fluid level and it's normal. All fuses and bulbs are fine. Anyone know what the problem is? Everything was working fine until I replaced the IACV..... :(

Manual shift release is pointless because it's illegal to drive without brake lights working. :roll:

RonJ

Banned
If you want to become a good DIY mechanic, then come away from replacing parts at random. Learn to do diagnoses.

The circuits for the brake lights and the interlock solenoid are both protected by the fuse for the brake lights. Sounds to me like the brake lights fuse is blown.

RonJ

Banned
People miss blown fuses all day long on car forums. How did you test the brake lights fuse? Does it have battery voltage on both top test tabs?

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
I know you said the RPM's is back down again, but how low is it? You can't shift out of park if the RPM is higher than... I can't remember. Like 1500 or something??? It's been a while since i've had an auto.

But.... I'm sure you know that already. Good luck man!