would B20 engine + Tranny + B16 head work?

guitar_adam2000

Alcohol ab-User
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Gettin annoyed with my hunk of s**t D15y6, wish i didn't crash my VTi . Now considering a swap for a B20 for some low end torque - and mate it with a B16 head, but keeping the B20 gearbox - cuz the stupidly short gearing on the B16 was the only thing that used to really piss me off on my frequent long commutes.

Obviously I know that if this works the acceleration wont be as good as it could be if i used the B16 tranny, and i know that with the B20 tranny, every shift the engine would probably drop out of the VTEC powerband, but i'm not racing it, i just want some extra useful power for overtaking and stuff.

I was wondering if anyone had done this, or have any opinions on how well it would work.

- off topic a bit now, but has anyone used these little alcohol breathalyzer tester keyrings u can get now? i sometimes wonder if im a bit over the limit the morning after a heavy night but I dunno if they work. might get one to keep in the car. can't find much info anout them on the net, but they sell em here: http://www.rwtechshop.co.uk/

Zzyzxek

5+ Year Member
theres b20 vtec guides but i would suggest the b16 or 18 tranny. its not overly hard to do. and its 180hp swap with oodles of torque. im gunna be doin a b20vtec build in the near future. ALL MOTOR FTW!

guitar_adam2000

Alcohol ab-User
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
defo not goin b16 gearbox again, too expesive on fuel and far too noisey. and b18's are too difficult to get hold of here as the integra isn't very popular. also, being as the b20 block doesn't rev very high, i'd probably only be able to reach 100mph before the rev limiter kicks in with those ratio's!

4BangN

5+ Year Member
I used to be on the LS/Vtec B20vtec band wagon. But I've learned a lot about those setups after I had one. I will never build one again.

The rod/stroke ratios on the LS engines is horrible. It is 1.57:1. That is terrible. Most people who build those setups rev them to insane RPM's.. Anything over 7000 RPM is to much for it and you will throw a rod threw the block. If your smart bout that build and keep the RPM's low and put a small to medium turbo on the car and make power in the lower RPM range it is a great setup.

But why do we make the LS/Vtec setups? Because we want the higher TRQ blocks with the High reving head. If you do that setup right and keep the RPM's under 7000 RPM no need for the Vtec setup. You could just do the LS turbo and be just as effective and reliable.

i went to a B16 engine after I had the LS/Vtec. I am much happier with my b16. You can setup it up to make power all the way to 9000 RPM and not worrie about throwing a rod threw the block because the R/S ratio is almost perfect in the b16's..

You can build a LS/Vtec to hold power in the higher RPM range and not worrie about throwing a rod. But there is a lot of science that goes into that build and it isn't easy to make it work properly.

If your one of those guys that totally understands the pros and cons of that setup and knows how to make it work properly and make it effective. Go for it. You will be extremely happy with the result. But don't just take the LS block and Vtec head with boost and rev it to 8000+ RPM's. You WILL blow it up...

guitar_adam2000

Alcohol ab-User
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
do reasearch!!!!
do research?! yeah thanks, thats helpful, condescending noob. 42 posts, a stock d16 and 17" wheels certianly doesn't give u the right to say that i'm afraid. if u aint got anything useful to contribute, then don't post anything.
anyway, rant over. thanks to those who posted useful* replies. But sadly my actual question hasn't been addressed. I have no intention of boosting this setup, or using an LS block, or making crazy power, and as i mentioned, i will not be reving it past 7k rpm.
I HAVE researched and cannot find an example of anyone who has used the B20 gearbox with the B16 head, (as everyone uses the b16 tranny) this is all I want to do and wanted an opinion of someone who has experienced this setup, and if the b20 tranny fits ok etc.

Zzyzxek

5+ Year Member
yes. b20 tranny will work with a b20 block and b16 head. you will drop out of vtec when you shift however due to longer gears. but yea it can work.

kyle97charlie

68% right 100% of th time
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
using the b20 gearbox would be like using a d series gearbox that comes factory with vtec. if you shift at 7200 rpms(d16y8 rev limiter) you will fall about 500 or so rpms below where vtec comes in. Since you have a b20 i would use a b18b1 head. it isn't vtec so you don't have to worry about building it for vtec. and it bumps compression, giving you more power. =)

Zzyzxek

5+ Year Member
agreed it really depends what he wants to do. i was just answering his question :P he dosent seem to care about the smart way to go about it just whether it works or not lol

guitar_adam2000

Alcohol ab-User
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
agreed it really depends what he wants to do. i was just answering his question :P he dosent seem to care about the smart way to go about it just whether it works or not lol
No thats not true, this setup i'm considering is based on what components are readily available here in the UK, and the B18 head or any LS block is not readily available. However B16 and B20 components ARE readily availble here and very easy/cheap to get hold of. I certialy would build a B18 on an LS block if i could. but i can't. so this is the next best thing. its not ideal but I'd probably lower the VTEC engagement to 4,500rpm if i used the B16 head.