Wreckless Hype's 2000 EJ8 Slow Build

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Personally i think blades would look great on your car.

Turbo_Freak

BAMF
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
How do you like the D2S retrofit? I was planning to upgrade my old Mini H1 setup with these. Do you have any night shots to show the cut off?

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Love your interior, it really looks fresh
Thanks man. Trying to keep it pleasing to my eyes while I'm driving. I'm not really feeling the bulky Broadway mirror, thinking I'll get something like Spoon's blue tinted rear view. Some nice seats are likely next on that list, probably new Si's.

Personally i think blades would look great on your car.
I love Blades, I had them on my GSR CX hatch, but they're pretty high profile with the polished finish, so I was looking for OEM low key look for the time being until I get a nice performance setup.

How do you like the D2S retrofit? I was planning to upgrade my old Mini H1 setup with these. Do you have any night shots to show the cut off?
I just got them going this past weekend. I had an issue with the mount knobs on the bulbs being kinda flimsy. Also the D2 connection to the bulbs make it hard to use the rubber grommets over the rear of the head lamps to keep moisture out. The square projectors and shrouds don't play well together, I broke a couple tabs but they seem solid. I'm still working on my cutoff, it's not perfect and I haven't had a ton of time to adjust them at night. I'll post it up by this weekend I'm sure.

Thanks for checkin in everyone.

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
How much was that Ap1 Steering wheel ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I picked mine up for $160 from a guy who was building a full track car. For the price, I couldn't say no; I absolutely love it.

It's about 99% plug and play. All you need to make it 100% functional is the AP1 cruise control plug (green plug inside). You pop the wires out of the Civic plug and push them into the AP1 plug and you're golden.

TokyoSkies

Boost Junkie
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Such a clean build. Not sure how I missed this. Go k24 boost! That was the route I was going to go with my old EJ.

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I want :( lol
If I had the dough and didn't want to put it into the engine, I'd get an AP1 VGS wheel. So sex. But this wheel is night and day to the stock EK wheel. Plus I loathe the little horn buttons...

Such a clean build. Not sure how I missed this. Go k24 boost! That was the route I was going to go with my old EJ.
Thank ya much. Nothing really exciting yet. Absolutely looking forward to a K24 turbo setup. Good amount of time and money goes into that heh. Just keeping my self interested with little this and thats to make it more "me", while staying busy in the world around me. I don't want to just fall off and lose sight of it, which happens :roll:

Jordan Cluster at night (love it)

HID Cut offs (don't love it, yet)

New belts!

Power Steering Belt (Seems fine!)

AC Belt (No issues!)

Lower Front Mount (A-OKay)

Bolt for lower front mount (apparently started threading with a hammer x_x)

Alternator Belt (Superb!)

Sounds so much quieter now! All I can hear is the valves that need to be adjusted... Time to get a new valve cover gasket and find my feeler gauges... :???:

Also, new goodies (just 1, kinda) coming from Tokyo :P

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Is it hard changing those belts out? I need to change mine too!
No, not at all. On my first two Civics, I removed the the AC belts by cutting them and then proceeding to remove everything else AC related, so I only ever had an alternator belt.

When you do all 3:

Start with PS. Loosen the pivot bolt and then loosen the upper bolt holding the pump on. (I actually removed the bolt from the bracket so I could move the pump a little more to get to the AC bolts I needed.

AC belt is the worst, and it's not even that bad. If you took the PS pump bolt out, you can reach your hand down and loosen the bolt holding the AC tensioner pulley. Just crack it loose and give it another half turn, that's it. Then start loosening the tensioner bolt that moves the pulley up and down. After that's done, you need to take off the front lower motor mount. (Belt goes around it). It looks like the piece in my hand from the post above. It's 2 14mm bolts holding it to the frame, and then 1 19mm bolt holding the stopper on. They should be really easy to take off and makes removing / installing new AC belt SOO much easier.

Alternator belt you need to break the pivot bolt loose (easily done from under the fender well - again just break it loose and another half turn), then you can break loose the adjustment bolt from the top, the alternator should pivot forward making the belt easy to take off / put on.

Then just put it all back together by re-reading everything backwards!

I literally did everything with a 3/8" ratchet, a long extension, 10mm, 12mm, 14mm sockets, and a flathead screw driver for the tabs holding the fender liner on.

Easy-Peasy!

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Happy Memorial Day everyone!

Since I really had nothing to do during my 3 days weekend except for a couple BBQs, I decided it was time to tackle something that has really been bothering me...

Blegh...

Goes all the way down.

3 hours or so, pulled the battery, tray, fuse box, intake box, ect.

Hold up. Party time...

So dirty

Pulled the PS fluid reservoir and CC assembly to get them hard to reach places. Refreshing!

Nope status

I feex. Pulled all the brackets, cleaned what I could clean, sprayed the bad ones and cleaned everything behind. So nice.

Hood cleaned

Overall pretty damn clean.

Pretty happy overall with the way it came out. I'm thinking of getting the valve cover cleaned up. I found that the flange with the loose bolt that mates the exhaust manifold to the cat, now has a rusted flange on the manifold side. So I ordered just a cheap eBay part that seemed to have decent reviews (ha!) for now since I don't plan to keep the engine forever. The size and complexity of the intake really bothers me for some reason and just looks really cluttered, so I found a REALLY good deal on a replacement part. Just waiting on that. Also, my Majestic Honda parts should be shipping soon!

On the down side, things that make me sad :(

Girlfriends retrofit on the left, mine on the right. The smoked headlights KILL light output. I knew it would be a bit, but holy damn. I guess it's time to look into other options. Was fun and looked nice while it lasted!

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
More cleaning. Well kinda. Ordered small this and that's to replace ugly/old ones I couldn't really clean well.

New ground cables

New brackets for radiator, condenser, new battery tie down rods, bolts for a few things on the radiator support. Though, now that I've replaced a few, the others left looking rusty are making me pretty upset... I know what Child means now a little bit, when you start, you can't stop. Obviously I don't have anything that would demand something as nice as DownStar to make it look as good as it is, but I think some nice OEM would look just fine.

Lower mount installed

One of my cheap smoked fog lights cracked. So those with the retrofit headlights that are very dull, have to come out. Sent in to TRFS to get my harnesses and bulbs fixed since they seem to be made pretty hastily and I'm not impressed at all with the quality.

Friend showed up to help me with a few beers

Cleaned up the headlights a bit. PlastX is really the greatest thing ever invented. These weren't even that bad, but the difference is awesome.

My battery terminal was starting to get a little messy and I wasn't sure how to go about making it look better. Best I could come up with; re-terminated the end and put a small bracket on the + to attach my auxiliary connections until I make a more permanent setup for the battery.

Lights on

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Got the whale genitalia installed, valves adjusted and the new valve cover installed

The intake and the valve cover were stupid cheap so I decided why not, before anyone decides to jump on the price vs benefit for the intake ;)

So clean

I think I bumped a parking curb and it knocked the center lip mount loose and now my lip is hanging off. Silly knock offs. That's what I get for $25 ha

While washing the car, both "Civic" and "EX" emblems just fell off. Trying to polish the crap off, it's pretty much down into the clear coat. Sigh... Need to learn how to use a paint gun I guess.

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Was noticing (with the warmer weather I guess) that the car was running a little rough again in lower RPMs. Grabbed a timing light and found my ignition timing was a good bit retarded. Advanced the distributor a bit and ran smooth as butter.

First gear slow take offs rattle a bit:

Much better

With the valve adjustment done, intake, exhaust manifold, and ignition timing done, it sits and idles smooth, takes off like a champ and with that ridiculously mean sounding intake, it's like a new car (Still a D16 tho :lol:)

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Bullshit updates, who cares, few things that took a few minutes and also my buddies Z31 non-turbo (boooo) when we went to Formula Drift:

Looks better than clear IMO

Nasty glass DC2 mirror for $9 shipped

To fit this bad boy

DC mirror (in front) vs EJ8 mirror

New vs. Old

DC2R Oil Cap - WhoopdeefuckindooJDMBling

Engine bay is still clean

Need to get into the issue with it running strange this weekend. Hoping I can get that fixed soon enough...

myfavecoupe

Nice build man. Couple questions:

1. The original steering wheel, was that a cover on it? Kind of dig how the black looked

2. How did you clean the engine bay without risking water in crucial electrical areas like the distributor? Always been afraid of that happening so never attempted to clean mine.

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Nice build man. Couple questions:

1. The original steering wheel, was that a cover on it? Kind of dig how the black looked
Thanks man. The original steering wheel had a leather wrap on around it. I know Honda made such a thing but I don't know if it was Honda OEM. I thought it made the steering wheel feel a little fat. I could have taken it off, but I also hate Honda's little horn buttons on the Civic and the overall look of the wheel. In turn, I opted for the AP1 wheel.

2. How did you clean the engine bay without risking water in crucial electrical areas like the distributor? Always been afraid of that happening so never attempted to clean mine.
Lots of cheap microfiber towels in bulk from Costco, Qtips, tooth brush, bottle of simple green and a bowl of water. Applied everything to the towels and went to town pulling things out, cleaning, putting it all back. No issues at all, just time consuming but completely changes the look and absolutely worth it.

myfavecoupe

Ah nice. I thought you went the route of spraying everything with a garden hose.

My transmission has lots of dirt and grime caked on. Any tips on cleaning that?