WTF got 5 CEL codes this morning, 99 Si canadian D16Y8 edelbrock turbo.

sleeper si

Registered VIP
I got a bunch of random misfire codes, P0300, P0301, P0302, P0303. and P0304. The car was sputtering a bit and jerky this morning, also got a big back fire when it shifted at 7K. Now I am letting the car cool off before I remove the plugs and check out the condition of them. At most I racked up 5K kilometers on the plugs so until I get a visual of the condition of the plugs what could this be?

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Did you google what the codes mean?

Could be injectors, low compression, ignition, or valves.

sleeper si

Registered VIP
Did you google what the codes mean?

Could be injectors, low compression, ignition, or valves.
yeah i googled the codes and the first step is to check the plugs.

all random misfires
misfire in cylinder 1
misfire in cylinder 2
misfire in cylinder 3
misfire in cylinder 4

the plugs have some carbon on it but should not cause the misfire, anyways i have 3 extra sets of NGKs so I swapped them out just to make sure the plugs are not causing it. If the problem persists then I think the wires will need some attention. what do you think?

RonJ

Banned
Do a tune up - plugs, wires, cap, rotor - and then go from there.

sleeper si

Registered VIP
Do a tune up - plugs, wires, cap, rotor - and then go from there.
trying to look for a brand or model that offers copper inserts and terminal. so far i only see brass inserts and copper terminal. As for the wires I guess NGK blue? or any other you recommend?

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Those used plugs seem to have standard wear. Being that each code is a misfire at all cylinders, I would lean toward thinking that it was one singular issues that caused all to misfire or at least appear to be a sequential misfire. I suggest you inspect the distributor cap, rotor, and internals. Reset the ECU after inspecting everything and see if any codes return.

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
Those used plugs seem to have standard wear. Being that each code is a misfire at all cylinders, I would lean toward thinking that it was one singular issues that caused all to misfire or at least appear to be a sequential misfire. I suggest you inspect the distributor cap, rotor, and internals. Reset the ECU after inspecting everything and see if any codes return.
Jesus at least someone else saw it, if you're suddenly getting a misfire in every cylinder then it is 99.9% going to be something related to all 4 cylinders. God himself would have to say f**k your civic for each plug and/or wire to go bad all at once.

James315

What are your afr's? Does it happen at idle, under load, or all the time? How much boost and injector size? Tuned or untuned? There is alot of missing info to even begin to give you an idea.

RonJ

Banned
trying to look for a brand or model that offers copper inserts and terminal. so far i only see brass inserts and copper terminal. As for the wires I guess NGK blue? or any other you recommend?
Honda plug wires and NGK plugs. The others can be aftermarket.

sleeper si

Registered VIP
parts should be arriving monday, the misfire only happens when i am easy on the throttle. WOT in any gear does not have this problem. I don't want to be flooring it all the time.:roll:

sleeper si

Registered VIP
if you look at the youtube video when i do a WOT at 0:45 and onwards the car does not miss. only when driving partial throttle it jerks and misses. why?

[YOUTUBE=VIDEO]HfUlh-Dvf4c[/YOUTUBE]

sleeper si

Registered VIP
Have you checked or replaced anything we mentioned above?
I only replaced the spark plugs as I have 4 new sets. I am still waiting for the spark plug wires, cap and rotor.

Now I am getting a P0171 for high voltage on the primary O2 sensor. Will hook it up to my scanner and see what voltages are fluctuating when cruising, idle and WOT.

sleeper si

Registered VIP
my spark plug wires, cap and rotor arrived. going to replace those tomorrow after work before the sun goes down.

sleeper si

Registered VIP
okay today i removed my cap, and wires and notice this brown substance inside the cap and also the metal terminals have white corrosion. The cap was made in japan and not some cheapie 2 dollar item. Since I ordered a new distributor I replaced the whole thing, adjusted the timing and so far no more misses. lol! Will give it a week to see if the primary O2 gets high voltage or not.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
okay today i removed my cap, and wires and notice this brown substance inside the cap and also the metal terminals have white corrosion. The cap was made in japan and not some cheapie 2 dollar item. Since I ordered a new distributor I replaced the whole thing, adjusted the timing and so far no more misses. lol! Will give it a week to see if the primary O2 gets high voltage or not.

Did you remove the rotor and plastic shield to inspect the old distributor to identify an observable issue? If you didnt visually confirm a source, then your issue may still have been caused by something else. Dont just blindly accept that it was the distributor without knowing what part went wrong.

sleeper si

Registered VIP
Did you remove the rotor and plastic shield to inspect the old distributor to identify an observable issue? If you didnt visually confirm a source, then your issue may still have been caused by something else. Dont just blindly accept that it was the distributor without knowing what part went wrong.
Cannot afford the downtime so replacing the distributor was the fastest and easiest thing for me. I will dismantle the rotor and remove the cover to see where this brown dust is coming from when I have the time. Last time I removed the dizzy was to replace the outer o-ring. Now I been driving without that jerkiness and need to have WOT when driving it.