Yeah, it's another D16 Question...

Dr.Anus

proctologist
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Okay, I know this has been covered, I did a search, but I am not sure I have the exact answer I need so...

I have a 98 civic ex with a D16Y8 engine.
70,000 miles, automatic, several fuel system upgrades aka: fuel pressure regulator, pump

so can I turbo this, I mean I know I CAN turbo but what should be done if anything to prepare it? My friends tell me I am out a cam no matter what, and that without rebuilding the engine I'll just throw rods left and right. The car is my primary vehicle so I need reliability to a degree. I was planning on putting on the performerX by edelbrock it sounds like a pretty safe turbo setup with good hp gains.

So here is the question can I run the 6-7 PSI on stock components, or do I have to rebuild and get a new cam? I know its got quite a few miles on it so that could cause a problem. Also the car has been abused not neglected its whole life (the guy who had it before me raced it all the time -from what I hear, but babied it)

-Also there is no chance of a B-series swap or swapping it to a manual (I can dream but its not gonna work for me right now). So try to keep the flak to a minimum on that. Thx

turbowhat_n_dat

1 of a kind
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'll start off by stating this: STOCK D16y8------12psi, 197whp for 2 years w/ no problems. Ah and at 12psi I have slaughtered many a lude and tegs.

Now, go out and find some new friends that have a clue. First off you don't need a cam, however it would help greatly, but, then you might as well get new valves, springs, and retainers along with a full port and polish job all at the same time---check out exospeed one of the board sponsor.

As for throwing rods, @ 6-7psi, its logical that anything can happen, take your pan off then the pick up tube housing get some ARP bolts and save yourself some time in the long run. Also look into a new water pump, oil pump, head bolts, t-belt and fuel filter, should keep you in line for a while w/o any problems.

Tune..........Tune.................Tune.............that is your friend.

slambed_civic

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Dr.Anus said:
automatic
good luck making that last, as it wont. hope you like 1st gear streteches because thats all that youre goin to get out of that stock tranny

turbowhat_n_dat

1 of a kind
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
here are are a couple links for you!

automatic tranny cooler and torque converter

automatic turbo 4 door

Dr.Anus

proctologist
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Okay I couldn't find a search option on jmousa.

I am a little lost, so will it blow my tranny right off the bat, or will the engine be damaged from the auto shifting improperly, will the trans malfunction?...

Thanks a lot for the responses, but I need a little clarification. I am a bit overwhelmed by tranny tech :drool:

99cleanCIVICex

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Y dont you just get a b swap with a 5 speed????? OR sell youre car and get a hatch with a 5 speed and a b swap already in it. Im kicking my ass right now, that i didint do that in a first place.
I have a 99 ex 5 speed coupe with a stock d16y8, few bolt ons like aem intake and obx cat back. I plan on taking it to the track summer time, and id be lucky if i hit high 16s with stock tires. My solution to youre problem is sell youre car get a hatch with a swap, or do the swap and you will be better of then getting a turbo and brakeing youre tranny and blowing up that d16!!!!

99cleanCIVICex

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ps Edelbrock turbo system costs like 3.5k plus like another g to instal it and the total is almost 5k.
You can do a B swap for that much!!! I have to say NO to the turbo

slambed_civic

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
99cleanCIVICex said:
ps Edelbrock turbo system costs like 3.5k plus like another g to instal it and the total is almost 5k.
i can tell you now that the edelbrock kit is around 4500 for the auto tranny, i dont know why its different but it is, and i can also tell you that there is only one automatic civic in the us with the edelbrock kit on it, and he is a friend of mine, unless they have done it again elsewhere. he had to do all kinds of computer work to get it to work right and he also sunk about 9000 into his engine. i can get you come contact information on the guys who did the turbo kit if youde like.

plus since you obviousely getting a turbo kit to go faster youre goin to run the car slightly harder, which also in turn isnt good for the tranny. running levels of boost changes your vacuum system and doesnt let the trann ysolenoids let the tranny shift properly. good luck with it

SeanMc300

professional a*****e
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you can easily run 10psi daily with no reinforcement whatsoever to the internals. its called a good fuel management system. hondata is the end all to your fuel needs, its not expensive. 500 for the ecu, 2-300 for injectors then tuning...wait...yeah that is kinda up there after dyno tune. but hey if you learn one thing from this thread its that fuel management is THE most important thing to a turbo setup.

Dr.Anus

proctologist
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Okay, I already knew about increasing the fuel flow to the engine, but I didn't know about the transmission; sounds like it might be a b*tch to work with. I might have to scrap the turbo idea and just save up for a swap.

I'll have to look into the options, thx for the advice guys.

SeanMc300

professional a*****e
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
or you could just get a 5spd tranny, 5spd ecu, 5spd intake mani, 5spd pedal set up, ...and the assortment of other things youll need to purchase when switching to manual..personally...i think its too much work.

Mr. Lin

Admiral Ackbar
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
My suggestion would be to save up and buy a car with a 5spd tranny. Turbo automatics don't seem to work very well... However, there was a Supra in Sport Compact Car, I believe, that was a TT automatic setup... I wonder if it's still running :lol:

edhgreatone

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
99cleanCIVICex said:
his car turbo would smoke the swap unless ofcourse it was a manual swap

slambed_civic

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
edhgreatone said:
his car turbo would smoke the swap unless ofcourse it was a manual swap
no, it wouldnt, unless he has a built auto tranny... which is like 5 grand..... i know someone with the edelbrock kit on a 00 ex auto..... cost around 4500. and my manager has a 89 hatch with a JDM SiRI swap.... hed kill him...