Yeah thats right he wont go after gun owners.. sarcasm..

LowNotSlow

Aqua Teen Christmas Force
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
that may one advantage guns have, but think about all the people that have been robbed and held at gun point. or the people who show up to what they think is going to be a fight and end up getting shot. or just all the lives in general that have been lost because of guns. the bad clearly outweighs the good.
Come here so I can rob you with this knife.

Porker

Fukin' Bent y0!
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You do realize that if we didnt have guns, America would have lost a lot of the wars we participated in.
The same could be said where I come from, England, but we've not done too badly (Only when you guys have stepped in and saved us though right? :lol: )

I really don't understand the American obsession with guns, but being from a different culture I couldnt' even expect to.

This thread gave me a lot of insights into how passionate you guys are about your rights, and I understand that.

I just wanted to bring a point up with you.

America - Population circa 305m, guns allowed- over 30,000 intentional killings with guns yearly.
Uk - Population circa 61m, Guns illegal - 61 intentional killings last year (Including air rifle weapons)

One fifth of your population but one five-hundreth of the deaths due to guns.

It's a thinking point.... :word:

Fawks

Applesauce b***h!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
America - Population circa 305m, guns allowed- over 30,000 intentional killings with guns yearly.
Uk - Population circa 61m, Guns illegal - 61 intentional killings last year (Including air rifle weapons)
The problem is, we now have so many guns in circulation that if they do ban the sale of them, the bad guys will still be able to get them very easily while the good guys will not be able to get them at all.

I understand that from a European's prospective, carrying a gun everywhere you go every day seems crazy. But I can't imagine leaving the house without my carry (Glock 19). The thought of being helpless to defend myself or my loved-ones because I am "out-gunned" is absolutely terrifying.

Remember, if someone is willing to murder you, they could care less about the gun law they are breaking in the process.

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
The same could be said where I come from, England, but we've not done too badly (Only when you guys have stepped in and saved us though right? :lol: )

I really don't understand the American obsession with guns, but being from a different culture I couldnt' even expect to.

This thread gave me a lot of insights into how passionate you guys are about your rights, and I understand that.

Just to correct you.. There is no "American" obsession with guns. There is a particular subset of America that really enjoys their guns.

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member

im not saying you have MORE crime than us because you dont have guns.. but you really cant get a FULL scope of the effect that gun control has by JUST looking at gun murders.. you have to try to quantify how many additional crimes with OTHER weapons occured while quantifying how many didnt occur in the US because we allow guns.. you also have to take into account the type of population... the relation of people in low income areas can also have a large increase on crime figures.. so its unfortunately not as simple to just say "we dont have guns and have less murder rate" yeah thats great but how many rapes at knife point did you have? how many muggings in which someone was physically beated.. ? i mean there are just SO many variables...

Hecz

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
so, i was in the a very rural area of IL this weekend, it was nice out there, guess what i saw? farmers chillin' on lawnchairs with shotguns pointed to the sky in the middle of corn fields... i guess they were shooting ducks, birds, or something.. lol. that was pretty cool.

Fawks

Applesauce b***h!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Went to the Medina County gun show today. What a crowd. I have never seen it that packed. Sold a couple guns though.

andrew256

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member

I will agree that our crime rate is very high- especially when compared to European countrys. The way our government has handled the "war on drugs" for the last 40-or-so years has a lot to do with violent crime. Making it so illegal in turn drives the price of drugs up thus making the drug trade a very profitable venture- and not just for American citizens but also for Mexican, Cuban and Colombian dealers that come here and wage war on our streets. We have a joke of a southern boarder that allows a war to spill over into Texas, New Mexico and Arizona at an alarming rate. There are a few rural countys in Arizona that have more violent crime in a month than most mid-sized cities see in a year. A young boy just got kidnapped from his home by a Mexican drug cartel because his Grandfather owed them money. It's getting bad here and the worse the economy gets, the worse our crime rate will get.

Ian123

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I will agree that our crime rate is very high- especially when compared to European countrys. The way our government has handled the "war on drugs" for the last 40-or-so years has a lot to do with violent crime. Making it so illegal in turn drives the price of drugs up thus making the drug trade a very profitable venture- and not just for American citizens but also for Mexican, Cuban and Colombian dealers that come here and wage war on our streets. We have a joke of a southern boarder that allows a war to spill over into Texas, New Mexico and Arizona at an alarming rate. There are a few rural countys in Arizona that have more violent crime in a month than most mid-sized cities see in a year. A young boy just got kidnapped from his home by a Mexican drug cartel because his Grandfather owed them money. It's getting bad here and the worse the economy gets, the worse our crime rate will get.
that brings me to my next point, which is that drugs should be legal. if you wanna get high, thats your decision not the government's.

Hecz

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
that brings me to my next point, which is that drugs should be legal. if you wanna get high, thats your decision not the government's.
yea, but to them its like... if you get high, your going to kill others and yourself.

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
no question about that..

drug use is no different than drinking.. if you want to drink you should be allowed.. if you want to do drugs.. you should be allowed.. if you want to drive yoru car f**ked up and put others at risk the gov should stop you.. if you want to steal to support your drug habbit the gov should stop you..

laws have the potential to be really simple..

$lick Rick

TEOTWAWKI
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Just to correct you.. There is no "American" obsession with guns. There is a particular subset of America that really enjoys their guns.
kinda like there's a particular subset of america that really enjoys baseball, footall, apple pie, their mothers, etc etc :lol:

or there's only a particular subset of england that enjoys their tea.....

just say you dont like them, but dont try to differentiate and distance gun owners from the general population..... it's unamerican ;)

i do think that obsession is the wrong word

there's riots and stampedes in other countries over a game of soccer... and people get killed
there's riots and stampedes in america over christmas shopping, and people get killed.

but there's never been riots or stampedes to buy guns, most gun enthusiasts are pretty chill ;)