Your thoughts on oil vanishing...

matt2122

5+ Year Member
99 Sedan LX, y7 with 193k on it, when i bought it, it needed a new oil pan gasket. changed the gasket in early july. thought it was fixed but this thing still uses alot of oil! i would say about 1 quart every 10-14 days driven roughlly 600 miles per week. neither i, or anyone else have every seen any smoke at all out of this thing other than carbon maybe one time. no oil around the pan, none on the ground even before the new gasket. checked the main seal before the gasket change but didnt notice anything significant but its kinda hard to see with the tranny in, anyone have any ideas? should i just drop the trans and change the main seal? also heard it could be the cam seal, but do i need to remove the timing cover before i check? anywhere else i should check?

31dev31

Chillin' Canadian Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Have you checked around the head or in the coolant? It could be the valve cover gasket or even the head gasket. It would be the head gasket if there is oil in your coolant.

matt2122

5+ Year Member
Have you checked around the head or in the coolant? It could be the valve cover gasket or even the head gasket. It would be the head gasket if there is oil in your coolant.
no coolant in oil, no visible leaks from valve cover, no issues with temp, no smoke.....im lost on this one

Kensai

♪♫♪♫♪~
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Yes it could be the cam seal. There's only 2 ways the oil could dissapear, it could burn or leak out. It sounds like you have to commute a lot, any chances of you not noticing the smoke?

RonJ

Banned
Bad cam seal would leak oil from the lower timing belt cover weep hole.

Any oil dripping from the transmission side weep hole?

Under the distributor?

Jersey8

B20: Detroit Muscle!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
OP, i have 176k miles on my y7, i commute about 400 miles a week and have the same issue. no smoke, no leaking oil on the ground (i park in the same spot every night) and i cant figure it out for the life of me

matt2122

5+ Year Member
OP, i have 176k miles on my y7, i commute about 400 miles a week and have the same issue. no smoke, no leaking oil on the ground (i park in the same spot every night) and i cant figure it out for the life of me
Yeah i just dont under stand it, but at least im not the only one with the problem. yeah i commute about 600 per week, work for american airlines and live in the middle of nowhere:( i dont know what to do with this damn thing, half the time i forget to check the oil for a week or two and when i do it's not even on the dipstick anymore! so i just dump another quart in it and continue to scratch my head. i know this might sound off the wall but it came to me one day, i wonder if by some stupid way the dipstick is shorter than it should be? like a said, not likely but anything is possible.

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
hmmmm

It's gotta be burning from somewhere. My Y7, did burn oil but that was because my rings were going bad. I didn't notice it at all, neither did friends. But, traveling that much, there is a good chance that it's just being burnt slowly as you drive.

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
make sure you're checking the oil when the engine is cold cold. otherwise the oil level is going to read a lot lower than it actually is.

matt2122

5+ Year Member
make sure you're checking the oil when the engine is cold cold. otherwise the oil level is going to read a lot lower than it actually is.

yeah, i almost always check it when its cold{not ran for 6-12 hours} and on occasion i'll check it when getting gas, checking it cold looks a little better but not by much. maybe i should just let the damn thing self destruct:twisted: also not sure if this is relevant, but it never passes much more than a quarter on the temp gauge

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
well i know if i crank up my motor for like even 10 seconds and then pull the dip stick it will read way low on level. when its cold it reads right at the top fill mark

matt2122

5+ Year Member
well i know if i crank up my motor for like even 10 seconds and then pull the dip stick it will read way low on level. when its cold it reads right at the top fill mark
gotcha, right now it's been sitting since about 1130 last night when i got home from work, so im gonna go outside, pop it outta gear and push it to some level ground and check it again. i also bought some stp engine stop leak today so i'll dump that in there and see if it does anything, if it's that damn main seal i'm gonna change the clutch when i do that too. not sure on the history of the timing belt other than i know it was changed at 90k for a fact, so im sure it's due as well