z6 mini me help

greenEJ6

So ive looked around online for the past couple of days and gotten some info but not to all of my questions. It seems like every one who does a z6 head on a y7 block does an obd2>obd1 conversion is this nessary? I have the y8 intake mani, injectors, harness and ecm so i dont belive i need to do the obd conversion. i also read that on the z6 head you need only one of the longer head bolts is this safe at my local delar they said all 10 are the same. Last but not least which T-belt do i need to use i read on one of the write ups to use the z6 is tis correct or do i need to use thr y8 one.

RonJ

Banned
One problem:
To take advantage of the D16Z6 VTEC head, you'd need to use an OBD2 P2P ECU for the D16Y8 engine. This OBD2 ECU looks for a knock sensor, which the D16Y7 block lacks.

I think you also need to use a VTEC distributor.

greenEJ6

One problem:
To take advantage of the D16Z6 VTEC head, you'd need to use an OBD2 P2P ECU for the D16Y8 engine. This OBD2 ECU looks for a knock sensor, which the D16Y7 block lacks.

I think you also need to use a VTEC distributor.
yea i was gonna get an eg dixxy and swap the ek guts into it. I already have the d16y8 ecu and knock sensor. Is there a way to put the knock sensor in the D16y7 block?

RonJ

Banned
Is there a way to put the knock sensor in the D16y7 block?
I don't believe so.

And:
  • Do you have a manual or auto tranny?
  • Do you have a 2-wire or 3-wire IACV?

RonJ

Banned
I have an auto tranny. I belive i have a 3 wire (don't all 96-00 have 3 wire) im not sure though.
All 96-00 D16Y7s have a 3-wire IACV. The D16Y8 manual has a 2-wire IACV. The D16Y8 auto has a 3-wire IACV, so you should be good to go. I'm not sure how you'll deal with the knock sensor, though. The P2P ECU will throw a code, which will prevent passing emissions.

greenEJ6

All 96-00 D16Y7s have a 3-wire IACV. The D16Y8 manual has a 2-wire IACV. The D16Y8 auto has a 3-wire IACV, so you should be good to go. I'm not sure how you'll deal with the knock sensor, though. The P2P ECU will throw a code, which will prevent passing emissions.
one on my honda buddies said that the spot for the sensor is there it just needs to be tapped (for threads) then it will be fine. cool im ysing auto to auto all from a 97 year model

RonJ

Banned
The 3-wire IACV attaches to the lower side of the Y8 auto throttle body. No need to tap anything.