Zach's [college] DD Build/Timeline

zachkelly

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
By the way, I'm thinking about getting a rear lip. Anybody had any experience with mud guards and a rear lip? I've looked at some HT threads but it goes both ways.

civic21911

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Very nice and clean ride! So what's up with the rsx washers what's different about them? Can you post a closer pic of your retrofit?

Darth_Civic

I couldn't find the source of the trunk leak yesterday either. Had the hose running on it, and nothing was leaking anywhere! Not sure what to do yet about that.
i was thinking with my trunk leak because it happens after driving that it could be water being thrown up from the wheels or road??? haven't really tested that in any way though

zachkelly

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Very nice and clean ride! So what's up with the rsx washers what's different about them? Can you post a closer pic of your retrofit?
Thanks! As for the rsx washers, you know how the civic ones have like 3 big streams that spray on each side? The rsx ones have a nice mist. One of my favorite things i did, my old ones sprayed it all in like one spot.

But for sure, I'll go take a few pictures of the retrofit while its still light out!

Edit: Here's 2 I got with my phone, I wasn't sure what specifically you wanted to see.

i was thinking with my trunk leak because it happens after driving that it could be water being thrown up from the wheels or road??? haven't really tested that in any way though
You know I thought about that too, but the strange thing for mine was it rained that day and I hadn't driven all day. Weirdest most annoying leak ever. Does yours leak a lot?

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
reminds me of my old coupe, looking good bud

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Thanks! But yeah, I've had people here tell me it was weird too, personally I like the white on the white better than the original peely silver or steelies, but they'll work til I get rims real soon.. Still can't decide what to get..
To each his own. Not hating ;).

But yessir! I actually used your tutorial :thumbup: But yeah, it really is crazy, I used to always use my fog lights at night for more light, but now I regret having them because I never use them. Its so bright and even i love it.

I'm running the DDM 35w raptor kit. I haven't used anything else but DDM (I had DDM's 8000k, prior to the retro) so i have nothing else to compare to, but I sure was tempted to get the TRS kit a few months ago when I did it... DDM's price won :oops:
Yeah I don't use my fog lights anymore. I don't even notice they're on anymore lol. Plus it ruins my ability to admire my cut-off when I'm following a light colored car or it's bouncing off signs :lol:. I love pulling up behind a white car at a stop light or following one on a road/highway. It puts a smile on my face every single time.

I rocked a DDM kit for a while. I understand where you're coming from. TRS ballasts and bulbs aren't exactly cheap. I should've just gotten the whole Mini H1 kit from the get-go since buying everything separately ends up costing more.

zachkelly

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
reminds me of my old coupe, looking good bud
Thanks! I appreciate it Redline :thumbup:

To each his own. Not hating ;).

Yeah I don't use my fog lights anymore. I don't even notice they're on anymore lol. Plus it ruins my ability to admire my cut-off when I'm following a light colored car or it's bouncing off signs :lol:. I love pulling up behind a white car at a stop light or following one on a road/highway. It puts a smile on my face every single time.

I rocked a DDM kit for a while. I understand where you're coming from. TRS ballasts and bulbs aren't exactly cheap. I should've just gotten the whole Mini H1 kit from the get-go since buying everything separately ends up costing more.
Its all good, no worries! But you're right, the fogs are totally overkill now. I don't drive too often at night during the summer right now, but every time I do I always try to pick up my cutoff on things too haha. I think I might have to raise mine a bit, I adjusted them before I lowered the car a few weeks ago. I like seeing people with P&P kits and I laugh a bit to myself because thats how mine used to look lol.

In retrospect, getting the whole kit like you were saying probably would've been the smart option, it had everything like the rubber glue! ( i had to make a second order for that..). If something happens to my DDM kit, Ill definitely look into the TRS set.

Wow ride looks good man, not sure how I missed this one.
Thanks! It's kind of under the radar of some of the higher budget and more interesting builds lol.

zachkelly

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Haven't done much lately, but this afternoon I helped my friend and his family roof a polebarn they are building. It was like 100 out today so it was rough.

I plasti-dipped the coil over wrench handles the other day lol, I was working on the height out in the sun and they nearly burnt my hands before!

There were some air bubbles but they turned out good enough

zachkelly

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Well I think I have to replace the starter. Its been starting hard for the past couple weeks, and I'm pretty sure the grinding noise when I turn the key is coming from the starter.

http://youtu.be/UB6YB9w45HY

Abailey21

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Sucks about your starter man...

I admire your build, I'm basically on the same non-existant budget and doing almost the same thing with the same car.

I like how yours has progressed :lol:

203CT

Slow But Not Low
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Starter sucks but at least it a easy fix just gotta move the distributor to get to it.

zachkelly

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Sucks about your starter man...

I admire your build, I'm basically on the same non-existant budget and doing almost the same thing with the same car.

I like how yours has progressed :lol:
Thanks man! Haha non-existant budget.. lol, too true. I keep checking up on all of the sweet builds on here, and wish I could do so much more with mine. But its fun doing your own thing, and making the car yours I think. I'll have to check yours out in just a minute.

Starter sucks but at least it a easy fix just gotta move the distributor to get to it.
Yeah super easy! I ordered it online from Advance Auto Parts here in town and was about to pick it up when it completely gave up and wouldn't start at all. I took my brothers car to get the new starter, and put it on in like less than an hour.

Works great now!

Old one looks like s**t!

zachkelly

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Well, no real updates, but I am replacing the SRS control unit soon. The SRS light has been on since I bought the car, but my Dad finally decided to take it to his mechanic to have it diagnosed this morning.

The control unit was shorted out, and they wanted $596 to fix it. He was about to say go ahead and have them fix it, but I knew I could fix it for much cheaper.

I took the interior apart today, checked the part # on the one I have in the car, an M3, and rather than taking a chance on a random junkyard one, I found one on ebay for $60. They accept returns, but lets hope it does the trick!

Here's the one I bought:

Saving money FTW :thumbs up:

zachkelly

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
This evening I got the new SRS unit in. Super easy to do, the biggest pain in the ass was removing the interior dash pieces, but that's nothing new. Works great now though!

The old one looked corroded, like it had been in water. Which made sense, since the CarFax noted that it had been in 3 floods in 2004. LOL.

For $60, it sure beats paying a ton for a brand new unit and shop to do 30 minutes of work.

I ended up taking the old one apart out of curiosity, and found a ton of salt even more corrosion on the inside.

zachkelly

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
While the dash trim is off, I'm going to attempt to fix my temperature adjustment knob. The motor that controls it has been broken off since I got the car.

The group of #'s 8-16 on the lower right side there, are broken off, but I have all of the parts. We'll see what I can do...

I'm also going to call Honda tomorrow about buying a CRV filter tray, and then I'll add the cabin air filter for something to do.

zachkelly

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I was able to put in a cabin air filter today, it was a pretty simple job that cost about $30 total. Maybe now I won't have the occasional leaf come flying out of the vent! It'll be a pain in the ass to replace the filter in a year or so. Honda sure made it difficult to get to lol.

I forgot to take pictures other than all the crap I cleaned out of there.

I also was able to epoxy the broken air mix controller on the bottom of the HVAC unit. It's drying right now, and I'll test it when it has cured for 24hrs. Hopefully that works! It sucks not having a temp control...