zc or z6???

codyj86

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
:?: Whats the difference between the zc and the z6 engine? I'm gunna be swapin' my d15b2 for one but i'm wondering what the diff. is? i need one for a good price (how much?). also... ecu? do i need one for the vtec stuff? then, finally, anybody know where to get good but cheap pistons, conecting rods for one of the 2?

anybody know any good webistes about balancing or blueprinting an enigne?

phan

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
codyj86 said:
:?: Whats the difference between the zc and the z6 engine? I'm gunna be swapin' my d15b2 for one but i'm wondering what the diff. is? i need one for a good price (how much?). also... ecu? do i need one for the vtec stuff? then, finally, anybody know where to get good but cheap pistons, conecting rods for one of the 2?

anybody know any good webistes about balancing or blueprinting an enigne?
single cam zc = 115-120hp non vtec.
twin cam zc = 125-130hp non vtec.
d16z6 = 127hp single cam vtec.

if you stay zc, you can use your dx tranny and pick up an si ecu. if you pick up a z6, you can use your stock tranny BUT you will need to wire to obd-1.

EmceeRolla

REV-LINE Performance
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
well i say the d16z6 cause to me its the pefect engine to torbo and with a vtech controller it would beat any zc engine i bet it could probably woop ass stock but thats hardly ever true but yea i would go with the z6

codyj86

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
well... ti would be better than my d15 right?!? haha. how much is a vtec controller and if i go that route do i even have to wire my ecu for vtec?

codyj86

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ALSO... is the z6 mpfi or dpfi? if it's mpfi and all this other s**t... how hard is it to wire all this stuff? i can wire stuff no problem but i'm just wondering how much is involved.

illusive

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I say Z6 just because it puts out about the same power as a ZC. Also there is alot more aftermarket support for Z6's unlike ZC motors not to mention Z6 motors are fresher meaning newer and havent been sitting around for 10 years, You have to play around with parts from different hondas to replace stuff on ZC's as well. Both motors are MPFI so you will have to rewire. If you know how to wire a amp you can basically wire a motor just running leads and tapping into wiring. Both setups you can use your stock tranny and axles if you wish, but its a good idea to upgrade to a 88-91 si cable tranny for shorter gears. For either swap you will need a new ECU to run the motor. And you will need a resister box to run the extra injectors.

xx90vtecxx

sLeEpErS.cOm
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
right now i have a '91 dx and i swaped a z6 in it. im not done but u dont have to convert to obd1. u can stay obd0 but u need some stuff like SI harness, SI distibutor, either a pr3 or pwo ecu,..etc. there will be alil bit of extra wiring but it works. just look up info on the net. search for "dx to si swap" or "dpfi to mpfi swap" and it will tell u what u need if its a good site. but really what u should do is just screw all of them and get the jdm d15. the motors are 1.5L sohc vtec out of 92-95 civic vx's and they are rated at 130hp @6700. the motors themselves are pretty cheap, just look on ebay or something. thats what i plan on doing.