zc pistons in D16Y8 to up compression???

RKSskier

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I have heard several times that the dohc zc pistons can be a great way to up the compression of a d16y8. I am wondering if anyone can give me an idea of how much they should/would cost, (or where to look for decent used ones) How hard would it be to replace them on the car? ( I am assuming this is something that could be done in several days with me and a buddy in the garage.) Also, maybe most importantly, even if my compression goes up from 9:61 to ( 10:6 or 12:1, I have heard both with the zc, not sure which is right) how much of a power increase should I expect. Is this something that will give me 15-20 hp, or am I looking at something closer to 5-10? If anyone has any experience of knowledge in this, I would greatly appreciate some help or input.
thanks, RKS

BuiltforSin

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
not sure, but interested in hearing what someone has to say.

1990crx

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
if it works and makes a car go fast just a little i might have to pull the motor apart that i am going to put in my car and do that

AliasNeo

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
lol same im looking into doing this too... but i need something to acompany the fuel demands then too, i cant convert to OBD1 by any means lol

bklynEG

FTW!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yeah the zc dohc pistons are alot more domed than the stock d16y8. i might have some at work. ppl usually drop those in when doing min me's makes for around 11.5:1 ratio. but dont quote me on that.

Tom

honda.co.jp
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
bklynEG said:
yeah the zc dohc pistons are alot more domed than the stock d16y8. i might have some at work. ppl usually drop those in when doing min me's makes for around 11.5:1 ratio. but dont quote me on that.
you are correct on teh ratio, adn some people have used the rods aswell, since they are some of the strongest 1.6 litre rods.

Tom

honda.co.jp
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
SCCRules said:
damn... need to go find some zc pistons and rods then.
i have one bent one i'll sell ya, then you only need 3 more to make a complete set.

bklynEG

FTW!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i can get you some , how much you willing to pay. rods and pistons.

vandynamics

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
u would be better off using flat top pistons out of the d15's and the zc rods. im not absolutley sure, but the zc pistons MIGHT be the same as the d15b flat tops. in a d16y your looking at about 10:1 c/r which is very streetable on pump gas, and minimal tuning.

tank_civnic

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you can also use the d16y7 or y8 bottom end and the head from a d16a1 or the zc dohc head to make @ 12:1 c/r with only minor machining to the heads for oil and water ports

RKSskier

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
So does anyone know that if putting some higher compression pistons in requires more than just a little higher octane gas? Can I put higher compression pistons in with 91 octane, and without any tuning?

ex96vtec

AWD Build In Progess
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
RKSskier said:
So does anyone know that if putting some higher compression pistons in requires more than just a little higher octane gas? Can I put higher compression pistons in with 91 octane, and without any tuning?
I believe that you can run 91 octane with that compression ratio. Your going to have to tune regardless though.

AliasNeo

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
uhh does the greddy emanage work with an obd2? i have d16y8 and i plan to do the ZC piston swap too

vandynamics

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i would suggest a fresh z6 bottom end over a d16y bottom end. oil pump issues.

trainjunkie

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I have a friend that uses a zc bottom with a y8 head. Compression works out to be 12.6:1 with the stock y8 head gasket, you can run 87 octane on that engine, it runs just fine, remember it's fuel injected, not carbureted, and it's only 1.6 liters. It's a very powerful combination, is much quicker than the stock y8, but traction becomes an issue, that's for sure.

ex96vtec

AWD Build In Progess
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
AliasNeo said:
uhh does the greddy emanage work with an obd2? i have d16y8 and i plan to do the ZC piston swap too
Yes it does, but you should look into different options other than emanage. I have a cousin who has it on his mr2 and he says it gets really picky with the weather and humidity isssus, One day it will run fine another it wont. Especially with the high c/r pistons you dont want it to lean out on you.

ex96vtec

AWD Build In Progess
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
trainjunkie said:
Compression works out to be 12.6:1 with the stock y8 head gasket, you can run 87 octane on that engine, it runs just fine
Is he running it without the engine knocking? The Honda S2000 has a compression ratio of 11.0:1 and you need premium gas I dont understand how it does not knock with that compression ratio, Is 87 octane gasoline the same in canadian as it is in the US. I have no clue how that is running at all. What fuel management is he using?

vandynamics

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ex96vtec said:
Is he running it without the engine knocking? The Honda S2000 has a compression ratio of 11.0:1 and you need premium gas I dont understand how it does not knock with that compression ratio, Is 87 octane gasoline the same in canadian as it is in the US. I have no clue how that is running at all. What fuel management is he using?
dont question him.........hes...(gasp)..........canadian!