ZEX or nitrous express?

stealthy

4 Doors For More Whores
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i'm in the market for nitrous, and i dont konw much about it however i know i want a 75 shot wet kit. from what i know the 2 big names are zex and nitrous express, is one better than the other? and when running a 75 shot (in a ls stock motor) will i need to upgrade my fuel pump,fuel rail or anything else?

according to http://www.cardomain.com/item/NIE2092310 they say i wont need to updgrade anything, is it just the NX kit or will the zex be the same way?

like i said, i'm new to this so any tips or anything would be appreciated

**edit**and how is each engaged?i'm reading different things on each, so some detail would be great!

Last edited:

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I really don't like nitrous at all but if you are set on doing it I would go with Holley N.O.S. first, Nitrous Express 2nd and Zex third. Just my opinion though

stealthy

4 Doors For More Whores
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
well its for a drag hatch i'm building, if it were jus a street car i wouldn't do it...so why dont you like it?

24-7

E Engineering
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
how much nitrous are you going to be using?

24-7

E Engineering
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
fourdoor92 said:
i'm not sure pry 75 or 100

Since it is going to be a drag car I would use a direct port system. That is what I am going to use on my hatch. My shop partners crx has it and runs 12s all day long and on the street.

stealthy

4 Doors For More Whores
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
24-7 said:
Since it is going to be a drag car I would use a direct port system. That is what I am going to use on my hatch. My shop partners crx has it and runs 12s all day long and on the street.
whats his set up?and whats yours?

i dont know much about nitrous, i'm learning ;) what is a direct port system and whats the difference between that and a wet kit??how much?where?thanks for the help

stealthy

4 Doors For More Whores
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
fourdoor92 said:

i dont know much about nitrous, i'm learning ;) what is a direct port system and whats the difference between that and a wet kit??how much?where?thanks for the help
oh and what upgrades would you recommend on a stock ls or ls turbo?

24-7

E Engineering
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
fourdoor92 said:

-1- my friends is using the universal 4-cylinder direct port fogger kit from Holley(NOS). We are using a seprate 2 gallon fuel cell to supply the fuel for the mixture with the nitrous. The fuel in the cell should allways be a real high octane, we ues 114 cause it is the highest at our track. With the seperate fuel cell you need a fuel pump and filter to flow the fuel. You can use any V8 style pump like a Holley Blue and make sure you also have a fuel pressure regulator on the fuel side to control the fuel supply th the solenoid.
-2- on a direct port system, the fuel and nitrous are injected after the throttle body with a nozzle in each intake runner so every cylinder gets it equal amount of nitrous and fuel. A regular single nozzle kit like a Zex kit, the fuel and nitrous are entered before the throttle body and not all of the cylinders gets the same amount of the mixture. A direct port is a much cleaner and more efficient method of using nitrous.
-3- Our crx is using the oem D16A6 with a stock bottem end and a head the has been p/p and a good lift Crane cam.

24-7

E Engineering
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
fourdoor92 said:
oh and what upgrades would you recommend on a stock ls or ls turbo?

Since it is going to be a full race car you should always build the motor for the application you are going to use. Every set up requires a different build up process. A nitous engine is built differnt from a s/c engine which is different from a n/a engine and so on. If it is going to be a full nitrous engine like mine, you should always build a high compression engine. Nitrous likes high compression. And for a nitrous engine has to flow very very good. A great head is a good way to make alot of power. The head need to flow good just like a runner need a good cardiovascular system. What ever you do don't go half-ass on parts because you will regret it when somthing goes wrong.

illusive

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If you plan on running a big shot 75+ I would probably suggest the holley NOS system as well and with that type of shot you will get the best results out of direct port. If your running this on a stock motor I wouldnt suggest doing any more then a 75 shot if you want a motor to last. If your planning on just a basic easy setup I would suggest the ZEX kit because its very simple to install and its all done by one simple little purple box. You most def want to go wet kit much more safer because it adds more fuel along with the nitrous to give you a better mixture to help you not to run lean. 75+ you will want to retard the timming, colder plugs, upgraded fuel pump. You will have to upgrade more if you plan on more serious of a shot. Remember to make sure your motor can handle it by doing a simple compression test to make your not burning up already bad rings...haha or you could have a mess. I am running a ZEX wet kit w/55 shot jets. and I love my kit

stealthy

4 Doors For More Whores
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
hey thanks alot guys, you've been great help =) just a few more questions....

1.i know a zex kit runs about $600 just for the kit, how much is a direct port system?

2.my car is also going to be turboed(not sure before or after nitrous) so i believe compression as far as a turbo goes it shouldnt be real high, therefor do you think a 75 shot would be too much and maybe i should consider 55 or something?like i said, this isnt a full nitrous car so maybe i should consider something smaller?and giving it a 75 shot, will it weaken the motor more quickly as opposed to a smaller shot?

illusive,with your 55shot zex kit, do you have everything stock or did you upgrade anything?keeping in mind my motor is an ls, i just want to make sure i dont upgrade something that isn't needed of course....and could you link me to a site that sell the kit you own please?

24-7, about the separate fuel cell, can that be done with a regular wet kit, or just a direct port?

especko

the reborn ESP
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
dont forget you will probably want to get different spark plugs, i believe its a step or two hotter plugs, dont quote me on that but im pretty sure about that. as for engauging it there is a couple ways to do it, i personally like it when the kit is enguaged and doesnt go on until the car is at wide open throttle.

24-7

E Engineering
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
fourdoor92 said:
hey thanks alot guys, you've been great help =)..my car is also going to be turboed(not sure before or after nitrous) so i believe compression as far as a turbo goes it shouldnt be real high...24-7, about the separate fuel cell, can that be done with a regular wet kit, or just a direct port?

For a boosted engine(s/c, turbo) the compression should be low like 9:1 and below depending on the amount of boost you want to ues.

Yes you can use a seperate fuel system for a wet kit. That way it does not draw fuel away form the engine.

stealthy

4 Doors For More Whores
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
24-7 said:
For a boosted engine(s/c, turbo) the compression should be low like 9:1 and below depending on the amount of boost you want to ues.

Yes you can use a seperate fuel system for a wet kit. That way it does not draw fuel away form the engine.
i want to leave the compression stock since the ls is ok to turbo leaving it as is, so do you think a 75 shot is a bit too much?would it be wiser to get a smaller one?

24-7

E Engineering
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
fourdoor92 said:
i want to leave the compression stock since the ls is ok to turbo leaving it as is, so do you think a 75 shot is a bit too much?would it be wiser to get a smaller one?

I'm not really a turbo guy, just nitrous. I think it should be ok if you don't put too much boost into it.

stealthy

4 Doors For More Whores
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
24-7 said:
I'm not really a turbo guy, just nitrous. I think it should be ok if you don't put too much boost into it.
i'm not sure how much it'll be boosted, but lets jus throw a number out like 10....10 or under do a 75 shot,more than 10 smaller shot....kinda what you mean?

king_C.R.X.

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
YEAH GO WITH NOZZZZZ lmao sike nah go with holly nitrous they are very reliable as far as customer service go

Mr. Lin

Admiral Ackbar
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Zex probably makes the safest and most efficient kit of all the companies.