New to the scene

sketchman1981

sketchman
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Just bought it. I've already explained it once, lol. Just because I make good money doesn't mean I want to spend it all, but there is a reason I'm choosing to modify the civic, instead of buying the rx7 I want. For one, not many people have done the j32 swap, but the main reason is that my girl and I are talking about getting married, and possibly having kids in the next couple years. I don't want to be the guy that mods out his car, then has to get rid of it because of kids. Can't really haul the little ones around in a 2 seater. On top of the possible family, I'm working on buying a couple houses, and starting a few business investments. I bought the Civic for 4200.00, by the time I get the motor and everything done, I shouldn't spend more than 20-30,000.00 But the RX7 alone, unless I buy one that has 100,000+ miles will cost me 16-20,000 for a good one. not including the cost of all the mods I really would want to do to it. But if I do decide to get rid of the civic when I'm done, I'll probably be selling it to my brother. If not, someone else will get a pretty tricked out ride. Either way, it'll be a fun car while I have it.

sketchman1981

sketchman
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
good lookin guy, where'd you find the picture?

sketchman1981

sketchman
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'm looking around for a fall back plan in case the J32 is out of the question. I think I may go with the K20A type R from the RSX. But I'm still planning for the J swap. I can get the engine and tranny for less than the K20, not sure why. But Because of the added Hassle, the Labor may make up the difference really quick. But It looks like it's going to be around the same cost for either one after labor and everything. We'll see.

Destroy

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'm also considering building this car as a show car. by the time I'm done with engine, suspension, interior and exterior I'm expecting to spend around 30,000 maybe more.
You're definitely approaching your new hobby with the wrong mindset... Your jumping ahead like noobs tend to do. Take your time and be reasonable. Start small, and keep setting manageable goals. 10K a month will not buy you acceptance, popularity, taste nor a sense of style style in "the scene". Unfortunately "Fast and the Furious" was the exposure for your new found hobby, but hopefully your taste will change during the duration of your build. Oh, and you need a tan.

forcdincivic

Needs More Snail
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
You realize with your statement, you're going to be spending a total of like 30-35 grand right? OR you could buy something like a wrx/sti/evo/g35 all of which have...omg four seats! You can stop bullshitting whenever you're ready.

Doubletap

5+ Year Member
lol gotta love the stupid fights that break out.......how about if you dont like what the guy is saying or asking ...dont answer if your going to act like a 5 year old who didnt get a cookie.

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
if you've got $30-35K to throw into a car and you want it to be original, why not just import something that no one else in your town has?? id have an NSX or R32 in the garage before you could say twin turbo.. that's just me

here's one. $15k USD + $8k shipping = $23k which leaves you $7-12k to play with

http://www.avoncustom.co.uk/carsales/93gtr.html

Last edited:

Hecz

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you got some good taste Mugen! =) lovely cars

el_betiyo

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
You realize with your statement, you're going to be spending a total of like 30-35 grand right? OR you could buy something like a wrx/sti/evo/g35 all of which have...omg four seats! You can stop bullshitting whenever you're ready.
X2

sketchman1981

sketchman
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ok, well i just got woke up by a phone call from my shop. Theres a guy here thats done this more than once, and they have a semi kit put together. Its going to cost me 6800-7800.00 for parts and labor to get the j swap, that wasnt including re running the a/c. But still not bad. He said itll take up to a month to get done because of the custom fitting that has to be done. So ill wait till my girl is here. Lol ride to work and all.

sketchman1981

sketchman
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i appreciate the advice destroy, but im not doing this to be popular. Or gain acceptance. Im not trying to brag about how much i make, i just saying that its not out of my ability to get it done, thats all. Youd be surprised how fast even 10,000 a month can disappear. Ive only been making that much for around 5-6 months. Im almost out of debt from past loans and such. One reason im not buying a more expensive car.

Wrx is a cool car...and much easier to make fast im sure. But when i bought the honda i wasnt imagining doing this. Ive always been an american muscle kind of guy. Ive had 4 mustangs, and i have a gtp now. But after i drove the civic i liked it. The vein for speed started pumping again and i decided to modify the car. I already have the car, why not put the money into it? You guys are driving civics, arent you proud of your cars? Ive just always had a hard time not going extreme when i find a new passion. I dont like to stick to the same path everyone is taking. If i can follow one that is more original then ill usually try that, but the most important thing is that i like it. If you choose not to like my choice...sorry :D

Destroy

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Ive just always had a hard time not going extreme when i find a new passion. I dont like to stick to the same path everyone is taking. If i can follow one that is more original then ill usually try that, but the most important thing is that i like it. If you choose not to like my choice...sorry :D
Let me be the first to tell you, that there is no such thing as originality when it comes to modifying a Honda. It's not your "passion", you watch Fast an Furious once and now your pretending like you live 1/4 mile at a time or some s**t. I've been in your "new scene" for over 14 years, I know a thing or two about what patience, research, dedication, and the kind of mindset it takes to perform a successful build. Yes, I have put about 25-30K in my Civic in the duration of 11 years. You like show cars so much, go to a show some time and ask the owners how long it took to get their car the way it is, I promise you they didn't throw $50K in parts one day shipped off of eBay. Take your time and take small steps, thats the way to get things done right.

sketchman1981

sketchman
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I know what you're talking about. Fast and the furious has nothing to do with this. Sure I enjoyed the movies, but I liked going fast before they came out. Just never had the money to do it.

I never said I expected to get it done over night though. I just said I expect to drop 20-30,000 in my car.
I may not be an expert, but I'm not stupid either, what I don't know, I'm asking. that's why I'm on here. It'll probably be a year or so before my car is completely built, maybe longer, depending on what comes up in life.
I am trying to play it smart by researching, and planning out the entire thing before I start throwing things in the car. The Jswap is the engine I'm going for. It's going to take approx 3-4 weeks according to my guy. He says that he's friends with a guy that has done this swap multiple times. And has set up a semi-kit to help install it a little easier. All this is a couple months down the road, but before we put it in the car, we're building the engine for the turbos, and everything. I don't need the engine tomorrow...I can wait, so that we do it right. I'm not going to be doing any cosmetic work till the car is clean and running good. Engine, tranny, suspension, once the car drives like I want it, then we'll worry about the body.

Only body work that may need to be done earlier is the hood, because an OEM hood doesn't have clearence for the new engine. Hopefully I can find a hood that will clear it, but still have good style like I want. otherwise, will have to customize one. I do composites, but I would prefer to keep the carbon fiber look. I like the appeal of it. FAST and the Furious has nothing to do with that. I don't remember seeing much carbon in the movie. they were mostly about flashy paint and vinyl. I'm going for more of an elegent performance based look.

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
nismo gtr r32 s tune... that's all im gonna say :lol:

actually that's not all im gonna say; good luck with the j-swap. take pics as you go along :thumbs up