Cheap Things to do to your 96-00 Civic

JuiceBoxHero

ASE Certified Chef
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Removing your resistor box and adding a high-flow drop-in filter is supposed to be a lot better (performance wise) than a CAI.
According to my bro the CAI filter is in a bad position for humid/rainy/dusty conditions and gets clogged up quickly, and everyone knows that short-ram intakes are worthless.
I did this almost free mod (price of the filter) and my stock intake whistles like an AEM now ^_^.

New plugs/wires/fuel filter also works magic. You never really notice them until you replace them since these parts wear really slow so you don't notice the decline in performance.

A bit of time and spraypaint can make steelies look awesome...well, for steelies, at least. I did mine with gloss black Color-Place from Walmart (98c/can) and silver metallic Rustoleum (expensive/can.)

Alpha.kx

5+ Year Member
Take out the cluster face and trace over some of that carbon fiber sticker roll, yay CTR look a like

Docta2002

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
for less than $20 ALL you guys should clay ur car a few times a year. Specially all of you who live up north, you're paint must have a s**t load of s**t stuck to it. Then wax it of course and I'm pretty sure it'll look way better than before, as long as the paint aint flat.

JuiceBoxHero

ASE Certified Chef
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Since when are short-ram intakes worthless?
Since their existence. Very few vehicles benefit from a short ram intake; A 96-00 civic is not one of them, however, if you decided to cut a hole in your hood and run a duct to the intake it would be beneficial, but it'd look like crap imo and for the money a CAI is better.
But as far a cheap mods go: drop in filter/resistor box removal FTW.

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I cant believe this thread is close to 4 years old and still going.. thanks to the 09'er who responded to a dead thread!

d16racer88

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
upgrade wire from battery to fuse box to 0 ga. i moved my fuse box to beneath the glove box and it looks pretty good. check my build thread for some pics of what i did. paid the total of 13 or 14 bucks for the parts i used

whoopnip

Some Delicious Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Since their existence. Very few vehicles benefit from a short ram intake; A 96-00 civic is not one of them, however, if you decided to cut a hole in your hood and run a duct to the intake it would be beneficial, but it'd look like crap imo and for the money a CAI is better.
But as far a cheap mods go: drop in filter/resistor box removal FTW.
They're not worthless, they're just not very worthwhile. They'll probably get you 2 horsepower or so, which is not worthless.

lotz6996

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
They're not worthless, they're just not very worthwhile. They'll probably get you 2 horsepower or so, which is not worthless.
and if you do other power adders it helps the engine breathe better too, smoother air flow for better performance.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Tidy up your engine bay. I'm sure a lot of you have wires everywhere. Get some wire, some butt connectors, a crimping/cuttng tool, and some tape. Cut and move wires around and hide them away so they're less noticeable.

Replace rusty/dull washers and bolts in the bay. And paint brackets/parts that you can that are all rusty and dull.

Go under the hood and thoroughly wash UNDERNEATH your hood (aka the bottom of it). It looks 100x better than before. May be pointless to some, but I still do it anyways.

Don't let friends spill whole gallons of white ceiling paint on your floor either. It's not fun. I know this first hand.

haijal

5+ Year Member
if u like the clean look, and are sick of seeing your "civic" or "dx" etc. peel off the emblems, get some compound, and compound the shadow of the glue. If there is excess glue, get a scraper and a razor blade (be very careful) and scrape away the excess puddy or glue.
They make solvent cleaners that gets glue off very well without harming the paint.

subsonic-civic

5+ Year Member
If you have a sub or subs in ur trunk and that shitty moldy saggy carboard just cant hold the weight,
Heres a quick DIY if you wanna make a new trunk board:
Tools: Marker, 1/4'' thick plywood (larger then the cardboard of course), reciprocating saw

1. Take that s**t out
2. Try and flatten out the shitty cardboard as best you can and lay it over the plywood
3. Outline the shitty cardboard witht the marker, using it as a template
4. Cut it with the saw
5. Done! I have a kicker sub and its pretty heavy, 1/4'' thick holds the weight pretty good.
6. If you wanan keep it protected from water leaks or make it look nice pick up some polyuerathane or some wood sealer.
7. Also, the board may tend to rattle, get some weather stripping from home depot and place it on the edges of the board

Suggestions/questions encouraged
i was gonna do this. but add a hinge to access my spare more easily.

3 yr old thread ftw.

SleepyStanley

5+ Year Member
Put washers under the rear bolt holding the hood, it helps under hood temps dramatically
Not to be Mean, you will have a high chance of getting your car stolen since u raise your hood. they can cut your wires like easy.....unless u are going to relocate the battary

SupermansDX

5+ Year Member
question, the washer trick for the hood, do you install the washers where the hood bolts to the hinge or where the hinge bolts to the car? thanks sorry if you find this question stupid.

Wilshire001

Hey it's me
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
what i've done to my EJ6:
offset front license plate (to the left)
painted my aftermarket rims black with a chrome lip (the paint was coming off)
smoked the taillights (only left the reverse light white)
removed DX emblem and painted over what was left

What i want to do:
paint headlight housing black