Cheap Things to do to your 96-00 Civic

d16racer88

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
question, the washer trick for the hood, do you install the washers where the hood bolts to the hinge or where the hinge bolts to the car? thanks sorry if you find this question stupid.
answer- dont do it. but if you reallly wanna waste your time doing this you put the washers between the hood and the hinge. basically if the hood were removed and pretend the bolts were still in place you would slip as many washers as you wanted on and then place the hood back on and tighten the bolts back up. look on google and youll find some pics if this explanation didnt help

subsonic-civic

5+ Year Member
answer- dont do it. but if you reallly wanna waste your time doing this you put the washers between the hood and the hinge. basically if the hood were removed and pretend the bolts were still in place you would slip as many washers as you wanted on and then place the hood back on and tighten the bolts back up. look on google and youll find some pics if this explanation didnt help
This is refered to the "jdm hood prop" btw.

d16racer88

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
the most expensive engine oil is well well worth it to
most expensive dont mean its good. just get a brand your comfortable with or with one used frequently by honda owners. not tryin to say go copy everyone but when dealing with oil its good to go with what has been used and known to last.

whoopnip

Some Delicious Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
most expensive dont mean its good. just get a brand your comfortable with or with one used frequently by honda owners. not tryin to say go copy everyone but when dealing with oil its good to go with what has been used and known to last.
:word:

will85w4

Save the SOHC
5+ Year Member

Paint your stock wheel covers from the old boring "alloy" look...

I gave mine the Krylon touch cuz the warden won't let me spend $700-$800 on new rims...hehehe

Best looking $3 I've spent on my Honda...IMO...:D

will85w4

Save the SOHC
5+ Year Member
Paint your stock wheel covers from the old boring "alloy" look...

I gave mine the Krylon touch cuz the warden won't let me spend $700-$800 on new rims...hehehe

Best looking $3 I've spent on my Honda...IMO...:D

Sand em down with some fine grit sandpaper and then throw a couple coats of flat black (or whatever color you want) on...

notorious9i6

5+ Year Member
i have some neons underneath both driver and passenger dash. it looks cool to show your friends haha, but i don't leave them on most of the time. 10-40 dollars ~

lotz6996

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i have some neons underneath both driver and passenger dash. it looks cool to show your friends haha, but i don't leave them on most of the time. 10-40 dollars ~
i leave my under dash lights on whenever its dark, i like them, they match the gauges, vents and ac control.

19josh97

RaWr Vtexz
5+ Year Member
For some cheap things I have done to my civic. I have a 97 Ex coupe. So the good ol d16y8. Vtecczc

-Took my valve cover off and took a buffer and a soft buffer pad. Took Mothers aluminum polish and buffed the valve cover for about an hour all together. I applied the polish about every 5-10 minutes making sure there was white residue on the metal. After that just wash it off and dry buff. It will turn into a shiny chrome valve cover. If u missed spots just re buff!

-Bought a 99 civic center counsel and cup holder. It looks a lot cleaner.

-For a cheap short shifter cut your shifter with a hack saw and get a shift not with hex bolts on the sides to tighten it on. Cheapppp short shifterz.

-I bought a AEM cold air intake. Great sound and more responsive.

-Paint your windshield wiper arms black / bottom window trim.

-Bought ebay springs and lowered it.

-Painted my calipers and my drums red. (Get the high temp paint)

- I had a tint strip on my front windshield installed. 5% for 25$.
----If u can offord it tint your windows. Always a good clean look.

-Painted my steelies black. ( I live where there is snow so they are on a lot for my studs)

-Buy a type R replica grill from ebay. 15$.

-Get screen door mesh from a hardware store. Take off your front bumper. Cut out the black plastic grill on the bottom part of your front bumper. And put the screen mesh on the inside of it with zip ties. Screw little holes behind your bumper. U will see where to screw the holes.

-Relocate your license plate with bolts into the corner of your front bumper on the screen mesh. Hides the license plate a little :P And looks clean.

-If you like the blacked out look paint all your meshing on your bottom grill and the type r grill lookalike.

-Clean your headlights (Explained above).

-Buy all weather floor mats for the front and back. Will help with stains and what not.

-Drive with your driving lights on. I do it all the time. Looks legit :P

-Buy some wal mart fogs. I got the rectangle blue ones. And screwed them behind my front bummper behind the mesh. Looks legit when its on.

-Remove your decals in the back.

-Clean the inside! Dont let trash just chill in there.

-For the good ol ricer look get a autometer tack and put it on the dash in the front left in your windshield. Looks legit. (run the wires for it into the vent hole and to behind your bezel. So it can work.

-If you can afford it buy some cheap APC racing seats. They are comfortable and sturdy. I got mine for 120 a piece brand new. and payed 50 for the sliders. Looks legittt!

-For gods sake please keep your stock tails. I still have broken ass APC tail lights with chipping carbon fiber as the background. Looks TERRIBLE! They were on it when I bought it.
If anyone wants to sell me stock lights please message me.

Also before I bought my car the center bezel (heater control and stereo ) trim. The vents are all broken out. I need to buy the trim. Or the trim + heater control. I dont care. Message me please!

If I think of anything else Ill add.

Last edited:

d16racer88

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
instead of using screen door stuff use expanded sheet metal. heres a DIY for the top grille but same process can be used for the lower one (if your crazy enough to cut out that section)
http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showthread.php?t=57767&highlight=Grille+DIY
and putting in a tach when your car already has one is retarted IMHO. if its a dx just swap the cluster for an ex one. i got one off ebay for 65 and put manual indiglo faceplates on it so the whole cluster swap was 85ish
do wire tuck. cost me less than 20 bucks to tuck the headlight harness

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oh yea. You look REAL "legit" with fake APC seats, WalMart fogs behind a cheap ass grill mesh, and a huge 6" tach on your dash. I guess they go along with your dumpy Euro tails and eBay springs. :oh:

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Since their existence. Very few vehicles benefit from a short ram intake; A 96-00 civic is not one of them, however, if you decided to cut a hole in your hood and run a duct to the intake it would be beneficial, but it'd look like crap imo and for the money a CAI is better.
But as far a cheap mods go: drop in filter/resistor box removal FTW.
Sorry to quote a 2 month old post, but this guy is annoying me with false information. ANY kind of intake on a Civic is pointless. They are so free flowing from the factory, you'll be LUCKY to gain 2whp from an aftermarket intake (wether it be a short ram or cold air), header, and exhaust. Cold air and short ram intakes are about equal performance wise. Especially on a Civic. Not everybody lives in a dry climate year round. I have a short ram on my Civic because I live in NY. It snows alot. Im not about to run a CAI, and drive thru some of the puddles around here after a decent rain storm.

Do your research before you start spreading information around, thinking you know it all. :oh:

d16racer88

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Oh yea. You look REAL "legit" with fake APC seats, WalMart fogs behind a cheap ass grill mesh, and a huge 6" tach on your dash. I guess they go along with your dumpy Euro tails and eBay springs. :oh:
dont forget the red drums! :rolf: i wonder where people get the idea this stuff looks "legit".
Ive learned to either keep it, remove it, or get something better.