04 Civic Battery Light

AddictionJDM

Respected
Ladies and Gents,

Always thought I had alternator issues, I've replaced it a couple times now (with wrecker ones mind you) and still having the battery light come on in the dash. I put my brand new battery in it last night out of my RSX, and the light remained on, so it's not the battery itself.

Today I put the old battery in and boosted it. Was messing around with some stuff and I noticed if you get the RPM up to around 4k, the light goes out, and doesn't come back on until about 1800 RPM.

Is the alt not putting out enough juice? I don't have a volt meter.

jackdog1

Sounds like it. Are you sure the battery and alternator are the correct ones for your car? I don't think there's any other good way to check that without a voltmeter. Have you experienced any other problems aside from the light? (e.g. car stalling, not starting, etc.)

Also, have you done any electrical modifications? It could be that something is stressing it too much

Last edited:

AddictionJDM

Respected
Sounds like it. Are you sure the battery and alternator are the correct ones for your car? I don't think there's any other good way to check that without a voltmeter.

Also, have you done any electrical modifications? It could be that something is stressing it too much
Yeah, they're the right ones. Exact same year and car they came out of.

It's pretty much stock, there's some fancy LED bulbs in the interior lights, that's about it.

I'm headed out to check the grounds, run an extra one just to be safe.

AddictionJDM

Respected
Yeah; all the grounds seem to be okay, wiring is all intact, not sure where to go from here.

jackdog1

I'm not very knowledgeable about the power/charging electronics, but doesn't the alternator connect to a voltage regulator or something like that?

AddictionJDM

Respected
I'm not very knowledgeable about the power/charging electronics, but doesn't the alternator connect to a voltage regulator or something like that?
From what I understood I thought the voltage reg was part of the ALT itself, I'm going to look into this.

AddictionJDM

Respected
It might sound simplistic, but buy a multimeter and check the continuity of the wires between the alternator and battery. Maybe that's where the problem is.

I'm doing a Kswap, just trying to get it running to take it for an Etest, I don't want a spend money as I'm replacing everything with the parts from my RSX.