00 Ex Coupe has vtec?

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
look for a green solenoid on the passenger side of ur valve cover..

that is ur vtec solenoid.

ottsouvan

5+ Year Member
I have 2 Honda EXs. 96 EX 2 doors with D16y7 engine with a Vtec valve cover. 2nd is 95 EX hatchback with a D16z6 with a Vtec valve cover. Does this mean my 96 is non Vtec? I

whoopnip

Some Delicious Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I have 2 Honda EXs. 96 EX 2 doors with D16y7 engine with a Vtec valve cover. 2nd is 95 EX hatchback with a D16z6 with a Vtec valve cover. Does this mean my 96 is non Vtec? I
Are you sure the '96 has a D16Y7 engine? The stock engine for all USDM 1996 Civic EXs is the D16Y8, which does come with VTEC, and will NOT say it on the valve cover. If you are indeed positive that your 1996 Civic EX has a D16Y7 engine (including head), then the engine was swapped to its non-VTEC counterpart, and you do not have VTEC.

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Are you sure the '96 has a D16Y7 engine? The stock engine for all USDM 1996 Civic EXs is the D16Y8, which does come with VTEC, and will NOT say it on the valve cover. If you are indeed positive that your 1996 Civic EX has a D16Y7 engine (including head), then the engine was swapped to its non-VTEC counterpart, and you do not have VTEC.
its possible that the block was swapped out for whatever reason. it would bare the D16Y7 stamp but still retain the vtec from the Y8 motor

it's also possible that the motor is in fact a complete Y7 and just has the Y8 valve vtec valve cover bolted on. people do strange things sometimes

Last edited:

whoopnip

Some Delicious Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
its possible that the block was swapped out for whatever reason. it would bare the D16Y7 stamp but still retain the vtec from the Y8 motor

it's also possible that the motor is in fact a complete Y7 and just has the Y8 valve vtec valve cover bolted on. people do strange things sometimes
Yup. Consult this thread to check if you have a VTEC solenoid:

http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showthread.php?t=161675

evilrilla2

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Yeah man it does, i have a 97 ex with vtech engine, D16y8. If you have an Ex, check to see what type of engine it has to make sure it has not been swapped.