02civicrider's Build Thread

02civicrider

02civicrider
5+ Year Member
My name's Bryan and I drive a 2002 Honda Civic. When I originally got the car it was a lx automatic. I have since converted it to a ex manual.

On to the mods:
Engine:

EX Head Swap
Crower Stage 1 Cam
Auto to Manual Swap
Injen SRI
Megan Header w/ cat-delete
Greddy Evo 2 Catback

Suspension/Wheels/Tires:

Raceland Coilover
D2 Rear Camber Kit
Ingall Front Camber Bolts
22mm Progress Rear Sway Bar
Motegi Mr7 17" Rims
215/45/17 Nitto NeoGen Zr Tires

Exterior:

Blacked Out Headlights
35% Tint
Type B Front Lip
04-05 Rear Bumper
Weathertech Window Visors
Type A Side Skirts
Tsunami Roof Spoiler

Interior/Audio:

Kenwood Headunit
Kenwood 6x9, Alpine 6.5" Speakers
Revo SS
Strut King Cable/Shifter Bushings
Skunk2 Shift Knob
RSX Cloth Seats

List for Auto to Manual Swap:
tranny
manual ecu
manual subframe
tranny mounts
stock shifter
shift linkages
axels
master cylinder
slave cylinder
pedal assembly
starter
Clutch
Flywheel
Gauge Cluster

On to the timeline:

When I first got the car, I went through a huge ricer phase.

Then I figured I'd go back to oem as close as possible.

Picked up a set of neuspeed sport springs.

http://i42.tinypic.com/ehb4fm.jpg[/IMG]

Installed a mugen front lip.

Then i decided to do a auto to manual swap when i ran into speedfoo's partout thread. On the way down to foo's, Paul (bomerman19) took some rolling shots:

The first weekend i planned to do the swap, it was put on hold due to what was discovered when Paul opened up the case on the trans. The reason Paul cracked the case to start with, was when i originally got the trans, it was missing a little piece on the shifter that enabled it to shift. I got the piece installed and had Paul check out how it shifted. He got it down in reverse and wouldn't come out. We tried everything. He ended up taking it up to DC that night and cracked it open to find some interesting stuff inside.

This was the piece that I was missing. It was laying inside the trans.

O, and looky here. A random bolt laying the gear stacks.

And water inside the trans.

A big thanks to Paul for what he did for me. If we hadn't discovered this, it would have cost me a lot more in the end.

Took a few pics during the swap as well:

Interior torn out

Motor disassembled

The fuel rail can be a pain the remove the first time. This is Paul's technique.

Motor being hoisted out

Motor out of car

Comparing the bolts between the torque converter/flywheel

Empty engine compartment

Motor re-installed with new trans on

Interior put back together

Pic of the motor reassembled

And heres a link to all the parts i received for the swap. Most of the swap is from foo's.
Parts - Album - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

I had received my vtec head and wasn't planning on installing it for a while but 2 days after my auto to manual swap, the shift linkage that is for back and forth broke. Heres wat it looked like when i pooped the boot cover off:

So, i then ran into a set of shifter cables that i bought. Received them in 3 days on a weekend from James in Hawaii. Newho, got the headswap done and havn't ran into any issues yet with it after 2k miles. (Knock on wood)

Also once i got the swap done, I went to start the car, and it wouldn't turn over. I jumped the starter straight to the battery and she fired right up. After messing with it a few days, i gave up and just went to autozone and purchased a horn button, and wired in as a push button start. Works flawlessly.

Along with the trans swap stuff i got from foo's, i also returned home that day with a brand new 04-05 rear bumper. Let's just say the car was loading done none the less. Should have taken a pic but didn't. Heres a pic of the 04-05 rear installed.

Picked up some meatier tires. Was on yoko's 205/40/17. Now riding on Nitto Neo Gen Zr's 215/45/17. The ride is so much smoother now.

7thgen Reppin at the University of Maryland Meet:
From Left to Right: Bomerman19, Curiouz_G, Me

Purchased a set of the Weathertech Window Visors. Love these things. I also lost my rear spoiler as well:

Picked up Pauls 22mm progress rear sway. I love this thing. Makes the car a totally different beast on the track!

Picked up some Type A sideskirts.

Then i picked up a revo ss from clubrsx and also the skunk2 shift knob. This shifter along with the shifter base bushings and shifter cable bushings and skunk2 weighted shift knob makes this a nice little shifter box for the em2.

Next, I picked up a type r grill from a member over on civicforums.

Then that night a raccoon decided to run out infront of my and destroy my front lip

A couple days later, I picked up Serge's type B front lip.

My cousin had just started getting into polishing motor parts so i figured I'd give it a try and polish the valve cover. Seeing how it was our first valve cover it isn't exactly perfect. You can see all the scratches from sanding..

End of July went to Tennessee for Import Alliance. Had a ton of fun and met a lot of cool people. Here's some pictures from the trip....

Upon my arrival home after IA, there was a tsunami roof spoiler waiting for me. I love the look of it. I also received a HKS axleback from Josh at IA. It sounds full race as a headerback setup. Sounds mean as hell.

Was searching a local forum one night and happened to run across a set of minty fresh rsx cloth seats in black. Guy let them go for 225 and I said sold. I love these seats. One of my favorite mod's I've done so far.

Next, I put back on the 01-03 rear bumper, painted my wheels bronze, DC5 Side Markers, and picked up a set of HID's.

A day off work, a couple beers, and 4 hours later..........

First thing first. I tore my headlight apart so i could get all the water that had accumulated inside it. When we started pulling it apart water started pouring out of it like a stream. Anyway's, here's a before/after picture of it.

Before:

After:

After getting the light done, I pulled the valve cover off the car and started painting it.

Gotta love me some head!

Before prepping the valve cover:

Primed:

And painted:

Also painted up a few other pieces in the engine bay. I painted the spark plug cover, top timing belt cover, and fuse box top glossy black.

Gotta love the mean look your car has with no front bumper......

And the finished product for the day!

Some will love it, some will hate it. But I love how it came out.

Finally got my new Raceland Coilovers on. Here's a few pics before I got the alignment:

I had to raise the rear end up in order to get the alignment pretty close:

I also took the cf hood off and put the stock one back on:

I also made a small video of the car with the stage 1 cam:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdzcNcBDiPg&feature=player_embedded

02civicrider

02civicrider
5+ Year Member
Part 2: Boost Build

Im starting to source parts to go turbo.

In Hand:
Garrett .60 a/r Externally Wastegated t3/t4 Turbo
Knockoff Tial Wastgate
Srt-4 Stage 0 Injectors
JDMFabtech Intake Mani
JDMFabtech Log Mani
JDMFabtech Dumptube
JDMFabtech Downpipe
Arp Rod bolts
Arp Head studs
Tapped Oil Pan
Sandwich Plate
Vaccum Block
D17a2 Block
D17a2 Head

On The Way:
Catch Can
Crower Valve Springs and Retainers
Crower stage 2 Turbo Cam

Not Ordered:
Tial Bov
Kpro
Cam Gear
Tunerview II
Hondata Map Sensor
Boost Controller
Battery Relocation Kit
Fmic
Ic piping
Walbro Fuel Pump
Action Clutch/Pressure Plate

Here's a pic of the parts I've gathered so far:

ARP Headstuds, ARP Rodbolts, and the mani, turbo, downpipe, and dumptube mounted:

i3clk

5+ Year Member
Car looks good just paint the lip and maybe different rims. Good luck on the turbo set-up!

98 EK Hatch

Big Daddy Dumplin
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
:thumbs up

I like it man, keep it up!

Maybe you'll have it boosted before the next TN IA meet

02civicrider

02civicrider
5+ Year Member
looking good Bryan.
Thanks Josh. Yours is coming along nicely as well.

Car looks good just paint the lip and maybe different rims. Good luck on the turbo set-up!
I plan on getting the lip kit painted come spring time. I'm just waiting to get my wings west rear lip first.

:thumbs up

I like it man, keep it up!

Maybe you'll have it boosted before the next TN IA meet
Um.. I don't plan on being boosted by IA. I'm picking up a JDMFabtech intake manifold with my tax return money. It will be boosted for IA11 tho :mrgreen:

looks nice! good job
Thanks man.

02civicrider

02civicrider
5+ Year Member
Update Time!

Got a warm day and painted my spare block:

Then my drivers side top hat failed on me:

Here's the new ones:

Picked up a aem uego wideband:

And a few days ago I picked up the rare "JDMFABTECH" intake manifold:

Awesome fuel rail to go along with it:

I got some a/f reading for stage 1. They are as close as I can get. The gauge is sitting infront of the shifter for right now and it's hard to see/drive at teh same time.

Idel: 14.8-15.3
Wideopen Throttle: ~13.7
Normal Driving: Between 15.5-16

Like I said, those are as accurate as I can get. But that was without the intake mani.

Initial startup video with intake mani on:

Driving video with intake mani:

So that about wraps it up for now. I'm in the process of saving up for kpro and getting the biggest spender out of the way.

xxcha0s77

nice job ...

when u installed the headers can u explain to be peaces you bought !

i bought meghan headers for mine it came just the headers i noticed there was like no down pipe just wondering if mabe yours was the same !

02civicrider

02civicrider
5+ Year Member
What are the plans for the spare block?
It's the one I'm putting in for boost. It has arp rod bolts and arp head studs in it right now.

nice job ...

when u installed the headers can u explain to be peaces you bought !

i bought meghan headers for mine it came just the headers i noticed there was like no down pipe just wondering if mabe yours was the same !
Ok, if you have to buy the header and the cat-delete separately. That is if you are ex. If you are lx then the cat is on the header itself. As compared to the ex where the cat is under the car. You have to buy the header and cat-delete separately. You can get them fairly cheap on ebay.

Wow it's been a while since I updated this....

So probably the biggest update would be K-pro. The car has been driving on K-pro now for I'd say almost a month. Im in soo much love with it. With the stage 1 cam it's really nice. Butt dyno is saying 135~ whp. I doubt I'll dyno. Here's some pics when I got it:

Here's some vids of the car on kpro:

Initial Start-up:

Crusing. 5th gear then 4th gear pull at 1/2 throttle:

WOT pull 3rd and 4th from 70-100ish:

Also, I finally got my stage 2 boost cam with the crower valve springs and retainers. I'm just waiting on a timing belt, tensioner, and headgasket then the new motor is ready to go in. Here's a few snap shots of the new motor all mocked up:

Also traded my motegi's for a set of Fat Fives. I straight traded. The Fat Fives had brand new tires on them. I was tired of the motegi look. I'm going to be picking up a set of rota grids here shortly and the grids will be my summer wheels and the fat fives will be my winter wheels. I also picked up a new trunk with the oem spoiler on it. It was painted my color and my old trunk had 5 holes in it from my old ricer days spoiler. Couldn't go wrong for 75 bucks. Pics:

Got my hands on a Stafford Fab intercooler kit. For those of you that don't know. This is a rare kit that will actually fit the d17 without cutting up your car. I will have to fabricate a piece from the throttle body to about where the battery is but it's no big deal. It's not hooked up right in the pics of it on the ground but I think it's right in the mock up I did on the block:

Picked up a tial bov:

Picked up a exedy stage 1 clutch:

And finally here's a few pics my friend snapped for me last weekend:

Enjoy! :cool:

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Nice, you have some pretty awesome work going on there.