1987 RT-AWD WAGOVAN build!!

EastCoastEK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Update:

We'll, heading towards the end of my deadline, the week has been filled with numerous triumphs and tragedies.

The first triumph came in getting the car together, and getting the carbs running.

Tradegy struck as my starter died just before taking it to the exhaust shop for final project work.

Once the starter situation was remedied, the car "limped" across town, out of time and a much needed carb tune, to Majestic Muffler, where many triumphs soon took place. Tim at Majestic did EXCELLENT work on the car! I mean WOW. The exhaust, flawless. period. I mean, WOW. The look and sound are absolutely incredible. The 4:2:1 headers were fixed. The y-connection was moved forward and welded in to work with the 4WD tranny case. Great work there as well. He did a PERFECT drop for me, by reindexing the torsion bars up front and heating the springs in the rear. Not TOO much of a drop, but low enough to look tough and still be mature (and safe/practical). It's just what I was hoping for. So, lots of triumphs.

However, he had a lot of trouble getting the car to tune right, and stop backfiring. He adjusted the timing and carbs the best he could, but his experience told him that I had a bad valve in the Si head. The engine was backfiring like crazy on the road, and making a CANON of a backfire when I shut it off. This was VERY embarrassing during the wagons stop at a gas station to fill up on the way home from the shop.TRAGEDY. The Si head had a bad valve in the #2 cylinder. The engine was timed to 16-advance, 32 wide open throttle, which was recommended by several RPR members running identical set-ups, so timing was not the issue. It was obvious that an in-car head swap BACK to the DX head was in order. It had to happen fast too, b/c I go back to work on Monday. Also, when changing out my rear drum shoes, and bleeding all four brakes, Tim found that I had a bad MC. Suck. Bleed brakes and STILL a soft pedal.

Triumphs soon followed. The machine shop in town shaved my DX head in 30 minutes time that same afternoon! My good friend, and constant helper throughout this build, Ben, came over and gave his time to help on New Years Eve and Day, and between the two days, the two of us swapped the DX head back on and tried our best to align the timing as it was when removed the Si head (we used white out to make several markings on the cam gear, belt, and dizzy). Immediately, the car drove much better, no backfire at idle or on the road, and I learned A LOT about engines through the head change. I thought I had it! Then...

Tragedy: I turned off the engine after a 15 minute test-run, and....BOOM (backfire...again!). AHHHH!!!!!!

Call father-in-law for advice: "Your OK Daniel, you just put a different head on, it just needs to be adjusted and timed again, and your backfire will go away, trust me." I wanted to trust him, but the way things have been going lately, I stayed fairly apprehensive.

None the less, I drove the car over to Majestic again this morning, to have the car timed. He timed the engine, as per the advice of several RPR members running similar set-ups, to 16-advanced for idle, and 32 for wide open throttle. I drove away with NO MORE back fire problem. None, and a PERFECT, smooth, consistent, butter idle. Smooth through every bit of the rev-range to 3500RPM on the road, in each gear. Car is running great, and best of all, NO backfire when I cut it off!!!!!!! At last, TRIUMPH!!! My buddy also got down to Beavers Honda just before they closed to pick up a '85 Carb'd Prelude MC for me. NICE! This will not only fix the MC issue, but should be a great upgrade to the system when I start to add Teg stuff back on later. ALMOST done, but...

I had been noticing a pronounced metal-to-metal grind at both of my front wheels, particularly when braking and at slower speeds. On the way back from Majestic, I took the car to Discount Tire to have them put it on the lift, and see what was grinding. While there, we discovered the problem AND a totally different VERY BIG problem. Advanced had sold me the wrong thread pitch lug nuts (12x1.25, and I needed 12x1.5), and mine were binding up bad, and not tightining well (only 3/4 of the depth they SHOULD have tightened to). They sure felt good to me! Either way, they were wrong, and would have caused some SERIOUS problems down the road, if this had not been discovered. I replaced them immediately. I was glad I went down there!

The grinding at the wheels: The Teg brake stuff I bought. The 1g Teg rotors and 2g Teg calipers combo DOES NOT work on my car. The pads on the 2g calipers stick out about 3mm too far in, and rub against the center hub on the 1g rotor. I bought the set off of a local RPR member here. He said they worked for him, but he had them on HX spindles. Well, they didn't work on Wagovan spindles, I'll tell you that! Another tragedy. I've got to switch back to my OEM wagon-stuff tomorrow morning. I'll have to wait until later to run the Teg rotors with some 86-89 Teg calipers, I guess.

Triumphs!: Discount Tire is MEGA COOL, and letting ME use one of their bays tomorrow to change out the front brake stuff and bleed my lines again...FOR FREE, on a SATURDAY! That is just CRAZY to me.

Also, Advance was able to get the hard-to-find Wagovan rotors in tomorrow morning for me, at 7:30.

So, I'm up early, and hope to get everything complete by noon. It's been a REALLY tough and stressful last stretch here on this wagon. It used to be just my wife that would become stressed out. But now, I'm really starting to feel it as well. My once strong focus is beginning to dwindle here. From the very beginning of this build, it seems as though I've done everything wrong once, and had to do everything over again twice. Quite honestly, I'm burnt. I ready for this to be over.

Hopefully, tomorrow will be the victory day that I've been waiting for. I'll keep you all posted. THEN, I'll post pics. I haven't felt deserving to post any pics, as my work is not complete just yet.

PS- We did still take the Wagon out to dinner after the head swap on Thursday. We didn't valet though, as I was afraid of the shear embarrasment that a backfire after shutting the car off in the valet lane would cause to us! However, as we passed the valet lane, we looked over to find the two valets on duty staring at our car as we drove by, pointing, and laughing! How 'bout that! I guess even a "restored" Wagovan is still a real "acquired" taste to the general public. LOL!

Good night to all.

pmac193

Thundermuff
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Hope it all works out for you good luck!

sohclubkid

Sick 6/6
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you MC wasnt broken... they (87 and lower) all have a "soft pedal feel" because of the MC's internal design. look around for the Kaka box master cylinder (spelling?) on RPR.

edit: ahh, i see you got a better MC anyways! cool! vids!!!

EastCoastEK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Nice sunset today to post pics of a (basically) completed project =)

The rewrapped headliner!

Rear Speaker Pods:

I'm not really sure what these are for yet, but I grabbed them from the yard anyway!

...and, the roof rack and quirky antenna.

We'll, I worked all morning, and finally got the wagon wrapped up. The OEM wagon brake stuff went back on, only with fresh rotors and pads this time around. This fixed MOST of the rubbing. Turns out that the brake hose brackets mounted on the front shocks were just barely rubbing the inner edge of the wheel as well. So, I removed them, and did some "safe" zip-tying. No more scrapes or rub, and the wagon drives GREAT! My Energy Suspension master bushing kit came in, and these will help to stiffen it up a little bit around the twisty's.

I'm gonna take a chill pill for a while on the build. I"m burnt, and the wife has been more than patient of late. Now that it is running fine and riding well, it seems that it will be a very dependable and comfortable daily. I can't wait to take it above 4K rpm's, as I know that's when the carbs will come alive for me. However, I'm airing on caution, and am gonna go easy for the first 500 miles or so, to let the head swap set in first.

I've got a bunch of JDM front end stuff coming (lip, headlights, corners, sidemarkers), my OEM fogs, and a JDM center console yet to install. Those will be my next updates, along with the side "RT-4WD" decals, which I have found a local shop to print for me. I'll be looking for front and rear strut tower bars at some point as well, along with AN fittings and braided line for the bay, and a ITR oil cap, to dress things up a bit.

As for the Si head, I plan to keep it, and at some point, go all out. Fix the burnt valve, Colt stage 2 cam regrind, mill it .02, p&p, valve job, etc.... At that time, I'll take the Mikuni's a part for a good cleaning and rebuild with fresh gaskets, etc... But, I'll be staying NA for the remainder of the car's life.

So, it's been a LONG ride, and thanks for checking out the build thus far. More to come!

ScratchNSniff

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Congrats man...now you can finally sell it to me...looks great...

No, but seriously...when it does come time to sell, I would be VERY interested...I am a wagon man...

sohclubkid

Sick 6/6
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
:drool: it looks great man! glad to see someone with a bad ass 3rd gen on here.

good luck with the rest of the build... finding cool parts for them isnt easy!

J.Dub303

5+ Year Member
Wow man wow, I just read this entire 20 page build up and im impressed with your attention to detail and how much work you put in to something you love! Congrats man Looks good.

These are the honda owners that make the honda lifestyle look good all the others who half ass things and do shitty gay s**t make us look bad. Thank you sir.

EastCoastEK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Thanks for all of the compliment guys! i really appreciate it, as well as ALL of the support that you have shown me throughout the build.

More "icing" will come in the future, but the "cake" is done!

EastCoastEK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
The project continues!

(1) Totally rebuilt the carbs: New everything. EVERYTHING. Cleaned off all the paint I put on them in the process. What a STUPID mistake that was! (NEVER paint your carbs if you want them to run good) Now, beautiful CLEAN pewter goodness =)

Some process pics:

Disassembly-

Fresh Mukini parts.
Thanks to Todd at Wolf Creek Racing!-

Freshly cleaned carb body-
I was VERY blessed that my 75 year old neighbor, Mr. Sheryl, let me use his machine shop to work in!

The carbs fully reassembled....a week and 2 more part orders later, LOL!
New butterflies, throttle shaft, and seals-

(2) Picked up a Mugen res. cover:

It's fireproof. wow.

(3) I also picked up a set of NIB Nology wires on the cheap! Notable power-band difference. Nothing crazy, but more responsive throughout the rev range. Most noticeable in the first 2 gears. I still need to get my plug gaping figured out.

Everything buttoned up in the car:

(4) JDM black-housing Shuttle headlights and corner lights installed. 86-87 Header panel fits perfectly! =)

Horribly overexposed cell phone pics from a recent trip to Target. I apologize, but you get the idea:

The JDM lights also use H4 bulbs, which are a bit brighter than USDM bulbs.

Next, I did some research and decided I needed an upgrade in fuel supply, so I called these guys, and this came in today.

I wonder whats inside?...

(5) BIG fuel system upgrade.

Carter 4psi rotary fuel pump; Holly fuel pressure reg.; Summit f.p. gauge; a lot of -6 AN fittings; -6 AN SS line.

How it all mates up:

I'm going to try and get everything set-up in the wagon ASAP. I'll post pics of it in the car once it's all up and running. I'm hoping the new fuel system set-up will help to give me a more consistent level of fuel in my bowls at all rpm levels. Unfortunately, the stock mechanical pump has variances in the amount of fuel it delivers, depending on engine speed. It works decent but not perfect. I'll need this electric pump to max out the potential of my sidedraft carb set-up.

BIG thanks to RPR member Airgazm for all of his advice with the set-up of my Mikunis and the proper fuel system parts that I would need!

I also hope to get my Teg front and rear lips on soon. Here's a pic of the front lip. It needs A LOT of love before I can put it on, particularly on the drivers side corner. Is bondo the best thing to use here? -

Still also waiting to go on:

I have my fog harness with switch now, Thanks to RPR member Alex of New Zealand for ALL of my JDM stuff! I still need to fab up some brackets for the fogs first though. Hopefully that won't be too tough. Anyone have a template? =)

I'm also about to order a 4300K slim-ballast HID headlight kit as well as Nokya hyper yellow bulbs for the fog lights very soon.

JDM center console should clear customs from New Zealand soon. Been waiting for a while now. Not really sure what the hold up is. Also included in this shipment is a pencil etching/rubbing of the fender hole for the JDM sidemarker lights. So, when that comes, I'll pull out the metal nibbler, nibble out my holes, and get those installed and wired up on the fenders as well.

The "RT-4WD" logos for the rear doors are being made a vinyl print shop in town right now. Should be out in about a week or so and on the car. Let me know if you want me to have some printed for you as well.

Thinking of more ignition upgrades, maybe not, we'll see...

Lots going on right now. As always, I'll post up more pics as I go.

Thanks for looking!

ScratchNSniff

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nice update...I was wondering why the fogs weren't on when I saw the car...looking good as usual man...hope you had some fun with us Mazdas...we enjoyed the car...

EastCoastEK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Nice update...I was wondering why the fogs weren't on when I saw the car...looking good as usual man...hope you had some fun with us Mazdas...we enjoyed the car...
Thanks man! It was great hanging out with you guys. Leanna and I both really enjoyed it. There were some nice rides there. It was a bummer to not be able to see your wagon and the new seats. Did you ever get the oil leak issue straightened out?

ScratchNSniff

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Thanks man! It was great hanging out with you guys. Leanna and I both really enjoyed it. There were some nice rides there. It was a bummer to not be able to see your wagon and the new seats. Did you ever get the oil leak issue straightened out?
Blew the engine up...the camshaft or crankshaft one of them fell out and warped the head...nobody on the Mazda forums or at the dealership had ever seen it...

I have a new motor on the way and one of the guys off of carolinamazdas is putting it in for free for me...glad to hear you guys enjoyed yourselves...hopefully we will see you guys again...and maybe next time the car won't detonate on me...

EastCoastEK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Blew the engine up...the camshaft or crankshaft one of them fell out and warped the head...nobody on the Mazda forums or at the dealership had ever seen it...

I have a new motor on the way and one of the guys off of carolinamazdas is putting it in for free for me...glad to hear you guys enjoyed yourselves...hopefully we will see you guys again...and maybe next time the car won't detonate on me...
WOW! Thats crazy. Glad you have a buddy to help you out. Watch them and learn, that's what I did! Best of luck. I'm sure we will meet up again sometime soon. Take care Alex!

EastCoastEK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Updates- New fuel system install is complete, and running great! Still needs a little more fine tuning.

Pics:

BEFORE (stock mechanical fuel pump set-up)

AFTER (Carter Electric Pump, Holly FPR, various -6 goodies). Thanks to RPR member Airgazm for all his help and advice on this set-up! You are THE MAN!!

Got all of this installed, and then the alternator died :( So, replaced it with a refurbished unit and now the wagon is running fine again (for now, LOL!).

Front lip is done and installed as well. Looks sick. I'll get up pics as soon as I can.

Thanks for looking!

honda22

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
awesome updates recently! keep it up, engine bay looks nice.
i love the vc - its nice and old skool