1987 RT-AWD WAGOVAN build!!

EastCoastEK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
awesome updates recently! keep it up, engine bay looks nice.
i love the vc - its nice and old skool
Thanks bro! I'll be hard at work until it's done.

Here's an update:

Teg Front lip has been cut to fit, prepped, painted, and installed.

Crappy iPhone pics FTL!!

somejaykid

i'm a mod now
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
looks good man

honda22

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
dude you need to get this fixed i never see when there are updates! or has it been moved from 4th gen?

edit : nvm....

hooked_on4

RegularFlush
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
lookin good, somethin bout the headlights they don't look like typical 4th gen heads, will standard EF lights fit?

EastCoastEK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
lookin good, somethin bout the headlights they don't look like typical 4th gen heads, will standard EF lights fit?
This is actually a 3rd gen civic, not a 4th gen. So, the EF lights would come no where close to fitting.

As far as my headlights, what might be throwing you off is that I have just replaced my stock USDM lights with JDM headlights from an RPR member in New Zealand.

They are black housing lights, similar to the 94-97 JDM Accord lights.

They are also a bit taller in size than my 86-87 lights. If you google a 84-85 3rd gen Civic, you will see that in the US, we got a plastic shroud assembly that sourrounds an H6054 Sealed-beam light. Since the H6054's sit back a bit, people refer to them as "recessed" lights. In 86-87, we got the lights that you see in the beginning of my post: A full, enclosed, headlight design wich accepts 9003 bulbs (I bellieve!). The housing is all chrome, and there is a thick black plastic trim piece at the bottom to fill in the gap to the top of the front bumper.

The JDM lights I have now are a slight hybrid of the two different-year USDM designs. You get a full enclosed light (like the USDM 86-87 Civic, only BLACK housing rather than chrome, and it now accepts a much brighter H4 bulb) and the height of the 84-85 recessed lights (which is why you notice my new JDM lights have a smaller black strip on the bottom to fil in the bumper gap than my old USDM 86-87 lights had).

Are you confused yet? Welcome to 3rd gen Honda's! :P

hooked_on4

RegularFlush
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
^^ makes perfect sense now, I didn't even notice they had 2 gens of em.

AWD will come in handy =)

EastCoastEK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
^^ makes perfect sense now, I didn't even notice they had 2 gens of em.

AWD will come in handy =)
LOL!

Yeah, Billboard was crazy to try that. But, hey, I give him props for atleast giving it a go!

This wagon is for cruising, no off-roading for me.

However, I do believe the 4WD is making the car faster around corners than my old EK hatch, for real!

EastCoastEK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Time for Updates:

The new fuel pump I installed. I love it. Bomb diggidy.

Autozone for $43; In-line; 5.5-9psi; MEGA quite; Consistent Pressure; includes a coarse-type metal-housed fuel filter unit.

Pics and Part #:

I'm trying to tackle my brake-system upgrade this week as well.

'85 Carb'd Prelude MC; Cleaned and Bleed:

Picked up some 86-89 Teg Calipers, finally.

Cleaned and Ready for paint:

I was feeling kind of wild today, so I went for "Mugen" gold :rolleyes:
Maybe I'll keep them this way. We'll see...

Blang, Blang fellas. Blang, Blang!!

Also, I got my EDM/JDM sidemarker lights installed today! I still need to wire them up. I ran out of time. I'll post up a full "how-to" write up on this when I complete the full install. For now, here's an artsy pic:

I'll have more updated pics later on this week. A lot is cracking on this build right now, as I'm currently on Spring Break from teaching.

Thanks for looking!

ScratchNSniff

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nice ujpdate...PM me your number...I ran over my phone...lol...also, we are having a BIG meet in Asheville next month...I think the 23rd...if you are available, you know we would love to have you back...

Also, the motor goes in Saturday for my car...finally after all this wait...I am soooo ready...

EastCoastEK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Nice ujpdate...PM me your number...I ran over my phone...lol...also, we are having a BIG meet in Asheville next month...I think the 23rd...if you are available, you know we would love to have you back...

Also, the motor goes in Saturday for my car...finally after all this wait...I am soooo ready...
Great man!

So glad to hear that you are going to (hopefully!) have your motor situation remedied very soon. Hopefully the motor will go in with no mechanical or electrical kinks.

PM'd.

EastCoastEK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Time for more updates:

It's been a long week on the brakes. BIG props go out to RPR member Carl for coming out to help me bleed the brakes this past weekend. Super cool guy!

The OTHER pull-a-part caliper stuck on me as well. So, I ended up replacing both calipers with refurb'd Autozone units. I did paint them Mugen gold though :D

Also, turns out Beavers did sell me the WRONG master cylinder. They would not return it, so maybe I'll try to sell it or something. It's a good unit, just the wrong bore-size. So, I bought a brand new MC with the correct 7/8" bore from Autozone for 29.99. Man, why didn't I just do that in the first place?!

So, I now have the Teg calipers, rotors, and prop valve, and the proper '85 Lude MC.

One I got all of that installed, I had no more problems, and brake feel is now excellent. The pedal also catches at the correct height now. It was catching lower before with the 13/16" MC. Most importantly, the stopping distance of the wagon has decreased quite a bit over the stock wagon equipment, which was pretty much terrible.

Also, after going to 3 different shops, I finally found a shop in town who could handle my decal replications for me in a professional manner. I dropped of my replicated illustrations of the decal to the final shop on Wednesday of last week, and got back these AWESOME finished products on Friday!:

On the wagon:

Close-up:

As you can see, the guy did an AWESOME job for me. I'm very pleased by his work and turn-around time.

He charged me $60 for the set, which included the initial graphic work. I told him that several peeps acros the net might possibly be interested in purchasing a set from him as well. He said that he would be happy to ship a set to anywhere in the world. Now that he has the graphic design worked out, he said that he would only charge $40 per set, plus shipping.

His info.:

Shawn Eller
Lake Norman Sign Company
(704) 651-3806
shawn@lakenormansigncompany.com

The exterior is getting closer to completion. I still need to get the Teg rear-lip fabbed up, and mount my OEM fog lights. I'll try to find the time asap.

Thanks for looking!

ScratchNSniff

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Still looking good Dan...nice to see it is still progressing...

EastCoastEK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Quick Update:

I went ahead and put the stock Civic prop valve back on, and bled the crap out of the brakes. They feel GREAT, even better/solid pedal feel than before. Very glad I finally got my lazy tail to get this swapped back on. Thanks to all for the heads up.

Also, my Autozone starter (2 months old) went out. It was on warranty, so I replaced that as well.

Last weekend, I was able to use my brother-in-laws help to cut and bolt up the 89 Teg "half-style" front lip to the rear bumper of the wagon. It still needs a little more adjustment before it fits 100 percent. However, I'm very pleased with the look of it as is. I believe that this lip could serve as a viable rear-lip option for wagon owners. Here's some pics from last weekend. I'll get up some proper pics soon. We should have our digital camera within a couple of weeks.

hooked_on4

RegularFlush
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Any plans on droppage?

Look so much better IMO

edit: I keep messing up the gens, my bad but still.....