1987 RT-AWD WAGOVAN build!!

honda22

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
^^^^ that car doesnt look that great, the only reason its cool is cuz of how the guy stands behind it. Hes so hardcore.

hooked_on4

RegularFlush
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
^^ haha i didn't even notice him.

I wasn't talkin bout the car more the droppage.

EastCoastEK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
We'll, I'd love to drop the car about an 1.5 more. However, there is no aftermarket suspension support for the 4WD wagons. If I had a 2WD wagon, I could just drop in CRX equipment. So, I had to go the heated springs route in the rear. For the front, i had a shop re-index the torsion bars down two clicks. They worked and got the car as low as it will safely go. You should have seen it BEFORE we did this. It was ridiculously high. Looked like I was ready for the flood, lol!

sohclubkid

Sick 6/6
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
We'll, I'd love to drop the car about an 1.5 more. However, there is no aftermarket suspension support for the 4WD wagons. If I had a 2WD wagon, I could just drop in CRX equipment. So, I had to go the heated springs route in the rear. For the front, i had a shop re-index the torsion bars down two clicks. They worked and got the car as low as it will safely go. You should have seen it BEFORE we did this. It was ridiculously high. Looked like I was ready for the flood, lol!
are you sure the Tein Midievil Pro Kit wont work for this setup? also, the integra torsion bars and rear suspention will make it lower if im not mistaken.

still looks dope tho! i still see my 3rd gen driving around from time to time:P:P

EastCoastEK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
are you sure the Tein Midievil Pro Kit wont work for this setup? also, the integra torsion bars and rear suspention will make it lower if im not mistaken.

still looks dope tho! i still see my 3rd gen driving around from time to time:P:P
Hey, thanks man!

Yeah, I believe any Civic/CRX stuff will fit my front suspension, as it is the same as in other 3G.

BUTTTT.....the rear is totally different, due to the 4WD set-up. I suppose that I could swap out totally to a 2WD suspension set-up, but I believe that (1) It would be a TON of work; and (2) I would have to switch out my 4WD drivetrain, and I'm just not prepared to do that :D

Maybe, I'm wrong about this though, I'll ask the RPR folks at some point.

Even if I could, my wife would absolutely FLIP on me if she found out I spent all the cash required for that Tein kit, LOL!

EastCoastEK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Looking good man...so what is next for it...
Thanks, as always brother. This summer's wish list...

Exterior: Fab fog brackets, bolt up fogs with Nokya H3 Hyper Yellow bulbs; 4300K-ish HID set (w/ a halogen high, so I can pass NC inspection!), cleaning up little trim items here and there; REAR fogs coming from German! Very excited. Hope to have those mounted up, along with a JDM "Shuttle" badge for the rear from the same source; wire up the JDM sidemarkers (their just looking pretty right now).

Interior: Paint door jams! (I've been putting this off, not looking forward to it!); Summit plastic racing seat (I'll order the yellow vinyl seat cover, then use SEM products to paint it tan to match my "luxury" interior theme :cool:); Some sort of 5-point harness for drivers seat; recover my rear hatch cover and speaker pod carpet/spray with brown SEM prodcuct; modify my JDM center console to fit; Gauges mounted under my glove box (oil pressue; air/fuel ratio, fuel pressue); Aftermarket head-unit; keyless entry install; new Nardi knob (mine is used and scuffed); Mugen pedals (if I can budget for them); possibly a sub; Ipod mount (gooseneck style, mounted at left bracket bolt of passenger seat)

Engine: Built Si head swap (cam regrind, dual-valve spring, p&p, shaved to .060, arp head studs, cometic head gasket) , or full D16a1 DOHC swap with DCOE intake manifold, so I can still run my 40 PPH Mikuni side-draft and elecric fuel-pump set-up; Possibly a new radiator (my new one is half sized, and I'm not happy with the cooling thus far); Carb syncing and tuning from a competent shop.

So, that's my plan. A lot to do. I'm a teacher, so this is my "off" season. I'll get as much of this done as I can.

ScratchNSniff

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nice...yea...the Mazda still isn't running...motor I ended up getting had a blown headgasket/warped head and then once we got it fixed and running we find out we put the rear main seal in wrong, so we have to pull the motor once again...sucks...

EastCoastEK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Nice...yea...the Mazda still isn't running...motor I ended up getting had a blown headgasket/warped head and then once we got it fixed and running we find out we put the rear main seal in wrong, so we have to pull the motor once again...sucks...
Ah, man, that stinks!!

Keep at it. Great builds take patience and perseverance. Unrewarding builds take a check book or Visa card.

EastCoastEK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
We'll, Grandma let us borrow her digital camera today, so I finally had something decent to take some pictures of the wagon with. I'm no pro, but here are some snaps I took of the wagon in it's current state.

EastCoastEK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Thanks so much guys!

Just changed out the plugs, cleaned and re-oiled the K&N filters, and gave the carbs a tune-up.

Car runs even better now. Very stoked.

(A while back, before I rebuilt the Mikuni's, I had some flooding problems with the carbs. I didn't realize the flooding gas had gunked up my filters so bad. They were disgusting, and apparently they were REALLY effecting my performance.)

I'm off for the summer in 3 weeks. I'll be working on the car a bunch during June/July. I'll post updates as I go!

ScratchNSniff

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I don't think Dan has gotten on in quite some time...I need to give him a call and see what is up...

88CReXin

Broke college student
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Nice job man:thumbs up I love it when people do something that is not mainstream and stick with it. That is one nice ass wagon. Whats next?

hooked_on4

RegularFlush
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
[YOUTUBE="This vid reminded me of this thread"]q7ZzqBPz4sY[/YOUTUBE]

88CReXin

Broke college student
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You should post this as ride of the month. I would vote for it. You should also try different reader rides too.