1996 Civic LX D16Y7 Exhaust Manifold

JPW77

5+ Year Member
if you just want a new manifold because your current one has the crack in it you're going to need to buy a new mani-cat assembly. the second picture looks like it comes apart, but its an aftermarket piece. from the honda factory the cat and the manifold are not separable. the two picture you posted are not the same things even, pic 1 is NOT the top half of pic 2.
Thank you for finally giving me the answer I was looking for. That is what I was afraid of. I may try to have it welded like cgpEJ6 suggested. I tried something called ThermoSteel and that worked for a short time but it finally burned off.

nevermind your cat is not bad.

they can be seperated. All you need is the upper manifold. I might even have one for you. Pay shipping and you can have it. Ill just have to check if I have it. PM me if youde like
Thanks for the offer but it looks like that won't work for me. My car has 169,XXX miles so dealer help would be out of the question anyway.

wannabe

law abiding smog tech
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Thank you for finally giving me the answer I was looking for. That is what I was afraid of. I may try to have it welded like cgpEJ6 suggested. I tried something called ThermoSteel and that worked for a short time but it finally burned off.
make sure you ask the welder if they can work with cast iron. its kinda hard to fine someone who can.

i had the same problem, crack at the o2 sensor, but i just went to the EX setup. i think it was much easier that way. 60$ for a stock header, and i got a cat for free. you might have to do some looking tho if you want to go that route.

JPW77

5+ Year Member
wannabe, could you please post or PM me a link showing a picture of the EX setup? If I could truly go that route and save money then I'm all for trying something different. I don't have emission testing where I live either so I could probably get by without a cat if need be too. But then I would probably have issues with the O2 sensors, right??? It looks like I've got a lot to learn about these cars! :word:

JPW77

5+ Year Member
Bump! Can someone show me what the EX setup looks like?

slambed_civic

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
This is the EX exhaust manifold.

This is the DX/LX exhaust manifold.

In this image the top system is what YOU have. The bottom system is what an EX is equiped with. The A pipe (#9 in the pic on the right) and the cat is what you will need from the EX.